Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A plastic ocean
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

sad.gif posted on 5-29-2017 at 07:41 AM
A plastic ocean

In just 34 years, plastic trash in the ocean will outweigh all the fish in the sea.

That’s according to a new report from the World Economic Forum and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.

“The best research currently available estimates that there are over 150 million tonnes (165 million tons) of plastics in the ocean today,” the report reads. “In a business-as-usual scenario, the ocean is expected to contain 1 tonne (1.1 tons) of plastic for every 3 tonnes of fish by 2025, and by 2050, more plastics than fish (by weight).”
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 07:47 AM

Pretty frightening. what we are doing to our world..Even more frightening is that so few people give a chit..

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Pretty frightening. what we are doing to our world..Even more frightening is that so few people give a chit..

What is more frightening is that when scientists point out what is happening, the people attack the scientists and call them frauds -- if you don't like the message, shoot the messenger, eh?
And the USA has elected a leader and associated party that embraces pollution as the price of prosperity.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 09:15 AM

The Great Lakes too -

"Researchers found that nearly 10,000 metric tons—or 22 million pounds—of plastic debris enter the Great Lakes every year from the United States and Canada.

Plastic pollution in Lake Michigan is approximately the equivalent of 100 Olympic-sized pools full of plastic bottles dumped into the lake every year."

https://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=58860
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 09:26 AM

It's a HOOOOOOOOOAX!

[Sarcasm intended.]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 10:19 AM

What is perplexing to me, is a few here actually believe the eco concern,
and the responsibility we all should have, is a hoax/overblown.
Refusing to admit man is the source of negative influence.
At the same time expressing their love of the Peninsula with it's, in places, still in a fairly unpolluted state, loving their relatively natural campsites. Seems the height
hyprocrisy

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

In just 34 years, plastic trash in the ocean will outweigh all the fish in the sea.

All the seas? In the world? Looks like you're cherry picking problems from thousands of problems facing the planet.

Is this comment about the Sea of Cortez? Otherwise, how does this relate to The Baja? Looks like you're blaming Mexicans. Sad.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Boulder bob222
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

All the seas? In the world? Looks like you're cherry picking problems from thousands of problems facing the planet.

Is this comment about the Sea of Cortez? Otherwise, how does this relate to The Baja? Looks like you're blaming Mexicans. Sad.

If you have ever been to Baja you will notice that the national bird is a plastic bag. BAJA RELATED!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Yes, baja-related, as baja is surrounded by ocean, and sport fishing may have to begin catching plastic instead of fish, as plastic replaces fish in nature.
not blaming Mexicans. Blaming everybody, gringos particularly, as gringos tend to consume inordinate amounts of plastic on per Capita basis.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
So what's in your trash?

Perhaps the OP' s post was in re: to proper disposal of plastic,
not a total indictment of the product. A little
awareness rarely hurt anyone. Fish Krockidiles, not Worm Kings/Big Hammers. Pains me to think all Baja travellers aren't eco
minded. Unclear on the DK reference, I imagine we all
travel so. in a vehicle

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 02:12 PM

my trash is mostly brightly painted cylindrical aluminum 12 oz containers, in a plastic bag...in a plastic trash can.......
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 03:06 PM

Nah, that covers it..

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 03:47 PM

Just one victim.

image.jpeg - 107kB
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 05:16 PM

I see that the libtard filter is broken again. More fake news. So sad. I'm working on Bacteria that will eat plastics. Oh wait! Not cars Kayaks or Surfboards. Oh well............
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
I see that the libtard filter is broken again. More fake news. So sad. I'm working on Bacteria that will eat plastics. Oh wait! Not cars Kayaks or Surfboards. Oh well............

Trump has joined us. Welcome to the forum.
libtard? Really? Do you think the word "libtard" is OK to throw around? Maybe you should just dabble in OT.

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by bajadogs]

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by bajadogs]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 10:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  

Because any news that does not align with exactly the way one thinks, that makes it fake.
The cool thing about facts is they are still true even when one doesn't or stops accepting them.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 01:42 AM

Interesting article with pics about Henderson Island, which is the home of 37 million (est) pieces of trash washed up. BUT we don't have to give a chit, because it's "there" and not "here"..MSNBC today...

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 05:48 AM

Whats YOUR plan Para? Like many other problems, this has been overthought. Those who are concerned should arm themselves and when they see anyone who, in their opinion, is polluting or dumping, just shoot them. They are bio-degradable...

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 06:47 AM

I think you take yourself a bit too seriously, Para...and a bit pompous..

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 07:21 AM

My hard boiled eggs are hard to peel...What am I doing wrong?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.