Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: June trip to Baja VIA San Diego
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 08:26 AM
June trip to Baja VIA San Diego

Hi,

I am planning my first trip to Baja mid-June. I definitely want to visit Mulege and ?? Looking for clean ocean water and other Americans. Looking for others who are planning to drive down.

Dianne
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 09:56 AM

Every citizen of South, Central and North America are Americans, including Mexicans.......

I hear the whales song
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dmer  
Hi,

I am planning my first trip to Baja mid-June. I definitely want to visit Mulege and ?? Looking for clean ocean water and other Americans. Looking for others who are planning to drive down.

Dianne

It being your first Baja trip, are you aware of how swelteringly hot the east coast of Baja is mid-June? Just checking to see if you've done your homework, and are up for the oven. Some like it; not many gringos down south that time of year compared to the winter months.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 12:17 PM

The ocean waters of Baja are always clean. When was the last time you heard of a beach being closed because of polluted waters????:lol:
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 01:12 PM

I know it is hot. So is Bali this time of year and I survived. I want to look at the west side too. A recommendation was to be sure to stop at Mulege.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 01:41 PM

dmer, Mulege is the jewel of Baja to me. Was my home away from home for twenty years or so, i'm sure you'll like the town. It was just a friendly reminder is all.... have a good trip and enjoy Baja. Another warning; it can be extremely habit forming. Good luck.

BTW, bienvenudos a Nomads boards.

[Edited on 5-29-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 03:52 PM

Hi dmer and welcome!

It is really hot but you say you are going to survive it so you probably want to visit san Ignacio (on the way to Mulege) and stop by Loreto. Both these towns have lots of Americans.

Further south is La Paz. again: lots of Americans and other ex-pats, lots to do, beautiful beaches!

We are on the Pacific where it is cold this time of year. If that is OK too, then surely go to Bahia Asuncion and look for Canadian Shari. Come here to La Bocana and visit me (Blanca).

If you like to surf, you can go to Punta Abreojos any day from here and if you like to bird watch, you can spend a day at Campo Rene.

You will meet so many people heading north and south at gas stations, easy to hook up with fellow travelers!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 05:01 AM

Wow,

The Pacific side sounds pretty good. I was told to go to Mulege by one person who may not thought about the heat this time of year. I want to just relax and have fun. Maybe I should broaden my horizons a bit!!

Thanks for the information.

Diane
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 06:48 AM

So far, it is been relatively mild, no extreme heat in Mulege ( yet). Use Mulege as you base and take side trips and Mulege has the best beaches.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 09:55 PM

We go to Mulegé area in July and LOVE it then. It's both TROPICAL and a DESERT... ie. it is SUPPOSED to be HOT! ;)

The locals know how to get comfortable!

Paradise, Baja style!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 05:07 AM

Hi,

I am getting a little confused. I am receiving "u2u" emails and have no idea how to reply and the format says I have not read the message when I have. I thought there used to be a simple reply button
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 08:47 AM

Hi,

David K

When in July do you go and can you recommend where to stay the first night across the boarder?

Dianne
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 10:01 AM

I say the first night across the border should be JARDINES hotel in San Quintin. Make sure it is not a Monday, because I believe that is the day the restaurant is closed. Their garden is really spectacular.

For the second day, shoot for Guerrero Negro and stay at the TERRA SAL hotel. If you are early enough, skip Guerrero Negro and go straight to Bahia Asuncion. Meet Shari, meet Zoe, meet, the locals. Eat at the local fish taco place if you are there on a Friday, Sat. or Sunday. Hang out for a day or so. They have a small but close knit community.

I do agree that Mulege is FANTASTIC for its beaches. So so gorgeous. If you camp, David K can give you the entire enchilada information anywhere up and down the coast. If you want a hotel, Mulege has lots and they are quite varied from expensive to really inexpensive.

From there, you can excursion to other towns like La Bocana and Punta Abreojos and Campo Rene.

The U2U is a bit of a challenge until you get used to it! It will say unread until you go "away" from it and then come back.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 11:43 AM

Get a guide book and some maps. Talk with someone from Discover Baja or Vagabundos del Mar--travel clubs. Car insurance? Travel documents. Be Prepared, Amiga. Mulege should be your first destination if you want beaches and warm weather; funky and affordable. Let us know how ya doin! Tio
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 11:59 AM

Hi Dianne...and welcome to the Nomad sandbox! I personally cant go to Mulege after April...too hot for me! As Blanca said, come on over to the cool Pacside and visit us...it's quiet, safe and cool! The weekends are especially yummy as the seafood places are open on the beach! Hope to meet you!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.