Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: safe places to stop along western Baja
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 06:02 AM
safe places to stop along western Baja

Hi,

I am planning on driving to Baja from San Diego. I understand it takes time to get 180 day visitors pass. Female, traveling solo, so far; where would be a safe place to stay my first night after I get through boarder?

Thanks,
Diane
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 06:23 AM

It takes about 15 minutes and about $25 us dollars or 500 pesos to get the 180 day FMM at the Mexican INM (Immigration) office at San Ysidro

I don't know what time you expect to cross the border, but San Quintin or El Rosario would be a reasonable first night stop. About 5 to 6 hours, depending on how you drive and road conditions.

Quote: Originally posted by dmer  
Hi,

I am planning on driving to Baja from San Diego. I understand it takes time to get 180 day visitors pass. Female, traveling solo, so far; where would be a safe place to stay my first night after I get through boarder?

Thanks,
Diane
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 07:43 AM

As Bajaguy said - it's really easy to get the 180 day card. As you enter Baja from the I-5 or 805 you will want to stay in the rightmost lanes as shown by the red line and park, go inside the building - circle in blue, to get your permit.

John M

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by John M]

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by John M]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 07:51 AM

Actually you walk through the building with the blue circle. As soon as you exit that building make a sharp left turn and the little cubbyhole of the INM office will be on your left. If you don't have pesos for the FMM, there are ATM's in the lobby of the building (blue circle)

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
As Bajaguy said - it's really easy to get the 180 day card. As you enter Baja from the I-5 or 805 you will want to stay in the rightmost lanes as shown by the red line and park, go inside the building - circle in blue, to get your permit.

John M
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 08:41 AM

Hi Diane,

You are off to a fantastic adventure that will be filled with all kinds of new sights and experiences. A trip you will never forget.

I suggest that you cross the border at about 10 AM. That will get you through the busiest traffic areas after the morning rush. The map to immigration John M posted is perfect. Stay to right after passing through the border and take to turn off to the Ensenada toll road. It could also be labeled "Ensenada Cuota".

El Rosario , about 6 hours south, would be the perfect place to stay your first night. The Baja Catus hotel ($26) or the Turista Motel ($21) are both good, clean and secure places to stay. Mama Espinosas next door to the Cactus is a good place the have dinner. Be sure to fill your tank at the self service Pemex station as you enter town. The next station is about 4 hours south.

Have a great time!

Greg

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by bajagregg]

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by bajagregg]

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 10:02 AM

I'd stop for the night at the Old Mill in san quintin for a glimpse of whats left of old baja....there's getting to be less and less :(
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I'd stop for the night at the Old Mill in san quintin for a glimpse of whats left of old baja....there's getting to be less and less :(

"Old Mill" or "Molino Viejo"? They are confusingly close, and similarly named.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

"Old Mill" or "Molino Viejo"? They are confusingly close, and similarly named.

mismo-o-mismo-o
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 11:45 AM
ok bajaguy

Thanks bajaguy - you forced me to redo the google earth image, I've been wanting to do it a while but just put if off.

Plus - maybe they'll change the whole process and we'll have to do it all again.

My earlier post should be correct, as of today.

John M
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 12:37 PM

Dmer wrote: Female, traveling solo, so far

I'm not sure I'm buying this story, and it's another reason why I try to stay away from newbie's post until they create paper trail of rational posts.

But I'll bite today, so Diane, what are you looking for in Baja? ( keeping in mind Diane could actually be a dude)

Why not just the border cities of Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, or better yet a nice Mexican resort like Cancun?

i have an adult daughter, and if she told me she wanted to travel all over baja alone. I would tell her she is crazy, and take a friend, not one you find in Mexico, unless of course, my daughter was into that type of travel off the beaten path, and had experience doing that with others before she tried to do it alone.

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 12:39 PM

Check your u2u

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Thanks bajaguy - you forced me to redo the google earth image, I've been wanting to do it a while but just put if off.

Plus - maybe they'll change the whole process and we'll have to do it all again.

My earlier post should be correct, as of today.

John M
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 02:25 PM

I think driving down is safe as long as Diane follows simple single traveler rules like

1. no hitchhikers

2. gas up in el Rosario no matter what

3. make friends at a gas station to caravan with

4. keep your purse with you at all times esp. at the military check points and keep an eye on them the entire inspection

5. have tools and be prepared to change a tire if needed

6. probably a good idea to have drinking water in the car

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 02:39 PM

When I'm in Mexico, I distrust Americans, more than I do Mexicans, so I don't know about making friends at gas stations, and really that's just a personal choice from my own travels and meeting unsavory characters in Mexico.

The whole caravan, thing to me is funny. If you're that scared to go to Mexico, that you feel you need a caravan, then you should just stay home, or take a commercial airline.

Number #5 I think probably disqualified about 90% of women, who don't know how to change a tire, or even tried to change a tire. That goes double if they have an SUV which is sometimes much harder to change a tire on.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 03:00 PM

What a load of crap...JJJ go back to off topic where you are treated the way you deserve....

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I think driving down is safe as long as Diane follows simple single traveler rules like

1. no hitchhikers

2. gas up in el Rosario no matter what

4. keep your purse with you at all times esp. at the military check points and keep an eye on them the entire inspection

6. probably a good idea to have drinking water in the car

In my opinion that's all good advice. As far as changing tires, it is important to have a good spare and the tools required to change a tire on your car. Make sure about that. You can always get help, but a good spare and the right tools for your car will be needed.

Watch out for potholes, there are some big ones, especially from north of Catavina to south of the Bahia de Los Angeles turnoff. Also be prepared for topes (speed bumps) when entering and leaving the towns along the highway. Most are marked, sort of.

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by SFandH]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Dmer wrote: Female, traveling solo, so far

I'm not sure I'm buying this story, and it's another reason why I try to stay away from newbie's post until they create paper trail of rational posts.

But I'll bite today, so Diane, what are you looking for in Baja? ( keeping in mind Diane could actually be a dude)

Why not just the border cities of Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, or better yet a nice Mexican resort like Cancun?

i have an adult daughter, and if she told me she wanted to travel all over baja alone. I would tell her she is crazy, and take a friend, not one you find in Mexico, unless of course, my daughter was into that type of travel off the beaten path, and had experience doing that with others before she tried to do it alone.

might be a dude.....whats wrong with you? :?:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 03:44 PM

AND Always a good flashlight or two...Have a great trip...You'll be fine!

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
What a load of crap...JJJ go back to off topic where you are treated the way you deserve....

The only load of crap is believing a female making her first trip to Mexico, decides to make a desert adventure in Baja, while having some type of fear. ( asking for safe areas to stay)

The story does not add up, as a typical Mexico trip of a single woman, unless she is the adventurous type, and so I'm waiting to hear from her/him, to personalized the story, and add more to the narrative, of a single women, traveling, and hoping she meets people in the backwoods of Baja. ( her quote: traveling solo, so far)

Now what did you do Chuckle?

What is happening here?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86697

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Since you're a newbie too, and wet behind the ears, let me clue you in on something.

Not everybody on the internet is who they claim they are.

You would be surprised how many middle aged men play the part of teen girls on the internet!

Even on Baja Nomad, there has been 'BN" members who are actually old geezers playing the part as women!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Since you're a newbie too, and wet behind the ears, let me clue you in on something.

Not everybody on the internet is who they claim they are.

You would be surprised how many middle aged men play the part of teen girls on the internet!

Even on Baja Nomad, there has been 'BN" members who are actually old geezers playing the part as women!

El's waiting for you over in the OT.....go have that cup of coffee
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.