Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Memorial Day 2017: A Baja Beach Family Camp Trip
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

wow.gif posted on 5-30-2017 at 11:33 AM
Memorial Day 2017: A Baja Beach Family Camp Trip

Hello Amigos,
Our 3-year-old grandson was ready for his first Baja trip and camping weekend. His parents have been to Shell Island multiple times before his birth and were ready for him to experience the beauty and wonder that this barrier island beach has to offer.

Because they no longer had a 4WD truck, it was necessary to make it all work in my Tacoma. Now, there was no room for any gear inside the cab, so everything had to go in the 5 ft. bed of my 4 door 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. Costco has some neat, stackable storage tubs, so I got some and they worked great for both family's gear and food... along with two ice chests, a table and chairs, and a 6-gallon water bottle.

We spent the night (Thursday) at their La Mesa home, as it is halfway to the border from ours and we had to repack and then load up in the morning.

We were on the road before 5:30 Friday morning and the 3-year-old was wonderful the entire trip, and border wait, too. We crossed at Tecate, mostly to avoid the construction delays at Calexico, where I normally cross for San Felipe or further south trips. We got the red light at Tecate, as we were loaded up real high in the truck. The inspector just asked if we had certain items, and that included beer, lol! I told him that Tecate was where the best beer was made and we would be silly not to buy only Mexican beer.

The drive was uneventful and we made a few stops, including the typical break near the sand dunes, halfway to San Felipe from Mexicali.

When we got to the Pemex just north of town, we discovered one of the boxes had dropped off the truck!!! OMG... we thought it was the food box (bread, cereal, etc.). The only thought as to where was hitting some bumps at the stop, 60 miles back north... so from 10:30-12:30 was a 120-mile round-trip only to not find the box.

We simply went to the supermarket in San Felipe and duplicated as best we could what was in the 'food' box (pots, pans, plates, silverware included).

We got to the salt flat that surrounds Shell Island and it had water on it from the big, new moon high tide... we had wanted to beat to get to our spot. Some squishy mud four wheeling got us to the beach and then the two-mile drive to our favorite camping spot was a race to pass the place where the high tide touched the sand dunes and blocks passage.

We got through, just barely! The box that fell off was NOT the food box, it was one with our floating chairs and beach stuff... So we had extra food now!

The next days all had near perfect weather and no wind above a nice breeze.

Our grandson had a great experience and it was great fun.

On a very sour note, his father was hit by a stingray while crossing the water between sand bars, far out during low tide Sunday morning. His wife ran the half mile to where Baja Angel and I were, in camp relaxing. I drove my Tacoma way out on the sand bars to ambulance him back to camp, as walking was impossible.

There may be no pain as severe as a stingray's and it cut deep with lots of blood. I applied tea tree oil first to kill any bad bacteria and then began the hot water applications as he laid in agony, for several hours.

By Sunday evening, the hot water soaking had greatly relieved the pain enough for him to move about. The wound was bandaged with Neosporin and taped well. The next day (Monday) he was well enough to help take down camp and help me load the truck.

We got into San Felipe about 11 am Monday and got the truck washed (U.S. border does not want loads of dirt on your vehicle). We had fruit cups and french fries while waiting for the wash. After the wash, we went to the Malecon for fish tacos.

The drive north began about 1 pm. There was about a 15-minute wait at the military checkpoint, 30 miles north.

The border wait at Tecate began for us at 5:21 pm yesterday and it was 2 hours and 45 minutes to reach the border crossing. Nice lady inspector, no secondary.

Tuesday 11 am update: The doctor said he needs no stitches, and prescribed an antibiotic and said to keep wound unwrapped and let it dry out. All is well!

Some photos... I will add captions or answer questions later.

Father and son napping

Baja Angel

Who's this character?

Shell Island looking south

Looking north

Growing a sand dune child

Dad after stingray with son staying close.

One of the locals

Grandma and grandson

Until next time... VIVA BAJA!

PS this is post #50,000, as I know some of you have been waiting for it! Have a nice day!

[Edited on 1-12-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 12:07 PM

Looks like a great trip and photos but David does it look like you are getting OLDER
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 12:34 PM
trip photos - one missing

I really wanted to see a photo you your truck completely packed and ready to go, rachet straps, bungee cords, air bags inflated to the max and all!

JM
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 01:33 PM

Nice scenes. Good to see a young baja lover enjoying the beach.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 01:47 PM

Nice way too start your 50K DK lks like you had a great time SOB:coolup:

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 02:14 PM

great shots and love to see the photo of your grandson super tuckered out!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 04:15 PM
Tide Extreme on Shell Island Sunday. 40 images ~6 am-4 pm.

10 hours of images taken every 15 min. (40 images). Tide going out at sunrise and then coming in to the high point at 4 pm. The sun going up and the color change is cool, too. Photography by Jonna, my daughter-in-law.

Video of Sea of Cortez tide change

There were no other campers on the island, but on Sunday a Tacoma, a Polaris, and a Jeep cruised by and Jonna went down by her camera to ask that they drive around it and not in front as it had been there most of the day already. They happily complied for the photographic project.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 04:27 PM

Is there a palm tree in the photos so we can judge how much of the sea level is due to tidal changes and how much global warming sea level rise, or is shell island sinking and the sea level is constant?

Sorry, I had to yank your chain.

Buy some water shoes, at least for the kid as he gets bigger.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Is there a palm tree in the photos so we can judge how much of the sea level is due to tidal changes and how much global warming sea level rise, or is shell island sinking and the sea level is constant?

See this spot, just inches above the wet sand of high tide?

I have been able to go to that spot for the past 39 years... the sea is no higher now than it was in 1978. In fact, driving onto the island at low tide would be impossible and the island would be gone!

Thank you!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

See this spot, just inches above the wet sand of high tide?

I have been able to go to that spot for the past 39 years... the sea is no higher now than it was in 1978. In fact, driving onto the island at low tide would be impossible and the island would be gone!

Thank you!

[Edited on 5-30-2017 by David K]

It is always changing. I can remember when it was not an "Island".

[Edited on 1-12-2022 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:07 AM

Yes! The sand is always moving, changing the lagoon entrances at Santa María and at Percebu... and as you said, it wasn't such a deal to drive from Nuevo Mazatlan to Percebu, on the beach. But, the 1967 chubasco that wrecked San Felipe and washed the shrimp boat onto the salt flat opened a gash that soon grew and repeated tidal surges that refreshed the lagoon (estero) that helped to make it a barrier island. Sand moving (erosion) plays havoc with some beach houses in Bahía Santa María ever since the first big change in the bay's shape in 1978. It has since reshaped the beach on the outer Santa María homes (Playa Hermosa). The sea is no higher, but the sand moves!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:28 AM

Yes! The sand is always moving, changing the lagoon entrances at Santa María and at Percebu... and as you said, it wasn't such a deal to drive from Nuevo Mazatlan to Percebu, on the beach. But, the 1967 chubasco that wrecked San Felipe and washed the shrimp boat onto the salt flat opened a gash that soon grew and repeated tidal surges that refreshed the lagoon (estero) that helped to make it a barrier island. Sand moving (erosion) plays havoc with some beach houses in Bahía Santa María ever since the first big change in the bay's shape in 1978. It has since reshaped the beach on the outer Santa María homes (Playa Hermosa). The sea is no higher, but the sand moves!

Special K:

perhaps the sea has risen, and the sand and mud flat surfaces have risen too due to deposition of new sediment, eh? :light:

perhaps a sea level rise of a few inches is not visible to the naked eye, relative to the high daily tidal variation, but perhaps that sea level rise has caused increased erosion and flooding in some areas due to high tides being that much higher, eh? :light:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:32 AM

in the future please tie down your loads and double-check the load at each stop.
your box falling out of your pickup could have killed someone.
really is no excuse for loads falling off trucks, if one is a responsible person.

[Edited on 5-31-2017 by mtgoat666]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:33 AM

You're in my trip report and your comments are fine but I would appreciate if you would stop the attempt at insulting me with my last name initial.

i am celebrating your 50 K milestone!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
in the future please tie down your loads and double-check the load at each stop.
your box falling out of your pickup could have killed someone.
really is no excuse for loads falling off trucks, if one is a responsible person.

[Edited on 5-31-2017 by mtgoat666]

Yes, thank you... it was cinched down with a strap and it blew off because it was so light... two soft rubber and net floaty chairs, two beach towels, and a pair of reef walkers. There was one semi that went by with such a sonic wave, I suspect that is where it got sucked off.. and in the desert on Laguna Salada. No humans were harmed.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
You're in my trip report and your comments are fine but I would appreciate if you would stop the attempt at insulting me with my last name initial.

i am celebrating your 50 K milestone!

I see you recently passed the 10,000 post mark... what special name can I make up to celebrate that... "10,000 insults and still full of hate", no too long? I guess I have to leave these cute names up to you, a most tolerant and accepting of other people kind of human?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:56 AM

I did notice your signed entrance to the area was now painted over.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 08:11 AM

Wonderful trip and pictures. Grandkids are always fun on a beach trip. Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 08:22 AM

I have no 'signed entrance'???
It is at Km. 26+, it needs no sign as I happily share this beautiful place in my photos. I believe Baja is a gift for anyone who wants to enjoy and appreciate its beauty.

Shown as an island by National Geographic:

Shown as an island on pilot's navigation map:

As I mapped it in 1978 (the year I first camped out there):

Before finding the road onto the island/ beach... how I mapped it when I was 16 just using observations from the road on the salt flats:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Wonderful trip and pictures. Grandkids are always fun on a beach trip. Thanks

Thank you, Tom! Next, I need to get my granddaughter there next... her mom loved Shell Island (her uncle too)!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.