Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Memorial Day 2017: A Baja Beach Family Camp Trip
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 09:20 AM

Great trip report. Can't wait to take my grandson. Does the kid have or need a passport?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Great trip report. Can't wait to take my grandson. Does the kid have or need a passport?

At the U.S. border on the return north, I handed the officer the four passports all the adults had. She then asked what documentation we had for the toddler and his father presented her with the birth certificate and that was just fine with her. The Mexican officer (on the way south) inspected the truck and us and questioned us (I got the red light at Tecate going south). He asked how long we were going to be in Mexico (4 days) and sent us on our way. I was not going to argue with him about the rules (I already had a valid FMM, so it would be for the others).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 09:57 AM
First Aid for Josh

What was posted on Facebook:

Hot water being applied to stingray gash... I heated water on the stove, transferred it to an empty drinking water bottle where I could regulate the temperature by adding some other water so as not to scald Joshua. The washcloth was to keep the heat on the foot longer than just the time to Dibble the new hot water onto it. I did this for about 2 hours, I think.

We eventually set a pan full of hot water on the sand and Josh dropped his foot into it. I reheated the water when it was no longer hot. It seemed to help as by the evening Josh was able to get up and hobble about. This looked in no way a fun experience! Reef walkers were probably of no help in this case as powerful of a whip that Josh received. The ray was very very far out during an ultra low tide in the water between sand bars.

(some reason Nomad is auto correcting d r i b b l e to Dibble?)

[Edited on 5-31-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:24 PM

Great stuff David! Bummer about the ray-bite. Yes, they are very painful and may become infected. Good job on the first aid and better job enduring the pain, Josh. I always shuffle rather than step but did see one scampering away last time out, it was big. Thanks for the beautiful trip report!

[Edited on 6-1-2017 by El Vergel]
SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 08:05 PM

Really cool report. Spending time w the family is priceless. I always wondered were that place was.

Im glad you posted the info about stingray bites too. It was informative and an unfortunate experience that may come along w the baja beach life.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 10:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
in the future please tie down your loads and double-check the load at each stop.
your box falling out of your pickup could have killed someone.
really is no excuse for loads falling off trucks, if one is a responsible person.

[Edited on 5-31-2017 by mtgoat666]

It is you that hopes he never runs into me in Baja . You are an Azzclown.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 05:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
in the future please tie down your loads and double-check the load at each stop.
really is no excuse for loads falling off trucks, if one is a responsible person.

Stupid me. I thought threats were not allowed here.

The guy had a point. The load should have been tied down better. Losing your load in the states gets you a ticket.

YOU should be banned.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

The guy had a point. The load should have been tied down better. Losing your load in the states gets you a ticket.

YOU should be banned.
Nerdy You and your Low life partner MT should be banned Your just gutter trash the both of you.:?:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes! The sand is always moving, changing the lagoon entrances at Santa María and at Percebu... and as you said, it wasn't such a deal to drive from Nuevo Mazatlan to Percebu, on the beach. But, the 1967 chubasco that wrecked San Felipe and washed the shrimp boat onto the salt flat opened a gash that soon grew and repeated tidal surges that refreshed the lagoon (estero) that helped to make it a barrier island. Sand moving (erosion) plays havoc with some beach houses in Bahía Santa María ever since the first big change in the bay's shape in 1978. It has since reshaped the beach on the outer Santa María homes (Playa Hermosa). The sea is no higher, but the sand moves!

Special K:

perhaps the sea has risen, and the sand and mud flat surfaces have risen too due to deposition of new sediment, eh? :light:

perhaps a sea level rise of a few inches is not visible to the naked eye, relative to the high daily tidal variation, but perhaps that sea level rise has caused increased erosion and flooding in some areas due to high tides being that much higher, eh? :light:

The gutter trash MT specks his Brainless posts again.:?:
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

YOU should be banned.
Nerdy You and your Low life partner MT should be banned Your just gutter trash the both of you.:?:

The only thing that can go lower than your IQ are your posts. He is not my friend but I thought threats were not allowed...or is that something you support? I suspect you lost your load a long time ago as well.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 10:34 AM

Let's get over it... accidents happen. It was cinch strapped down well... loads shift. We watched carefully for it on the way home, plus driving an extra 120 miles (round trip) looking for it on the day it happened. Somebody else has two floating seats and a pair of Costco beach towels and reef walkers now!

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2017 at 08:46 AM

Hi David

Thanks for very cool report and sharing wonderful first trip of your grandson. My group is headed there this week. Few years back one of our adults got stung walking across similar crossing at low tide. Thanks for the reminder as we will have four kids in our group. Unfortunately sting rays are part of our Baja Beach Trips. For that reason we bring hard shell 12-pk cooler and thermometer for this purpose. The cooler really works. Will post our trip report in few weeks. Hopefully without the hot water brigade.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2017 at 11:55 AM

The whole family will enjoy the stories and emotions the trip generated for decades to come.

When I did the same Stingray thing, HOT water and Coconut milk did help a lot.
Peed on my own foot (and others) for a sea urchin sting relief also.

BTW, I have heard aversion therapy does work for those scared of shadows and "things"

Es Todo Bueno
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 06:58 PM

David, can you imagine this guy hanging around on the old Baja Amigos board? Me neither.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 05:17 PM

Great report David, I am envious! Sorry about the ray hit, I know the pain, twice for me, one in each arch. We need to work on our shuffle step!

carpe diem!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 09:27 PM

Thanks Ken. It was mostly a nice vacation weekend. Weather was awesome and super high/low tide was great!

Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 08:36 PM

Great report David. Makes me want to get in my truck and head down since our house is across from where you camp. We will be down over the Thanksgiving holiday , if you are down there then, U2U me and I will let you know what house we are and I will buy you a beer. Also remember if you leave your motorcycle in front of a doughnut shop you should keep an eye on it or it might get stolen.;) remember --hit happens .
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 07:05 AM

Thank you for the hospitality. Likewise, if you know we are on the island, stop by... I don't have a motorcycle, but good advice. We go camping there in the summer, as we like heat and the warm Sea of Cortez. 4th of July week may be the next trip or Labor Day in September. It is soooo nice and therapeutic to go into the 'world's largest hot tub' day or night!
Funny how it can be just the opposite and become so freezing cold, in the winter!?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.