Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Fishing Question
Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 10:34 AM
Fishing Question

Hey guys im planning my first baja road trip with some friends and would really like to get your help.

I would have posted this on one of the 1000 fishing forums im in but everyone seems a lot nicer here and in touch with the communities in baja .

Has anyone approached one of the local fishermen for a short fishing trip (3 or 4 hours) or is this not recommended?

We want to this every morning at different spots in baja before we continue the drive for the day.

I've done this in Manzanillo every year I go and have met some really great people. I'm not really expecting anything different from baja. :D
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 10:43 AM

Sure I always visit the fishermans co-op in the afternoon when they beach and find one and set up a trip for the next day, easy........

I hear the whales song
Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
Sure I always visit the fishermans co-op in the afternoon when they beach and find one and set up a trip for the next day, easy........

Thank you!!! Any spots that you recommend?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 11:02 AM

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry I can't give you much usable information, because I don't fish much anymore (proof that addiction can be overcome!). In fact, the last Mexican fishing trip I took part in was out of your old stomping grounds, Barra de Navidad!

I will leave it to others to confirm, or refute, my impression that the cost of doing business for Baja operations is higher than the mainland so you may be spending more than you are accustomed to!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Welcome to the forum! I am sorry I can't give you much usable information, because I don't fish much anymore (proof that addiction can be overcome!). In fact, the last Mexican fishing trip I took part in was out of your old stomping grounds, Barra de Navidad!

I will leave it to others to confirm, or refute, my impression that the cost of doing business for Baja operations is higher than the mainland so you may be spending more than you are accustomed to!

No way!!! I love going to Barra we always rent the small boat that takes us to the restaurant for like two or three hours to go fishing. Thanks for welcoming me to this forum. I look forward to learning a lot about baja.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 02:20 PM

Just to let you know...it is illegal for fishing cooperativa members to take the public out sport fishing...they dont have permits or insurance for that so they would be risking their jobs if you ask them to...nor are they supposed to sell you fish as the product belongs to the cooperative...not the fisherman.

it is really infuriating when people go out with unlicensed fisherman as the legal sportfishing outfits pay alot of money for the permits and insurance. If you are caught, the boat and your gear could be confiscated and you can be fined.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Just to let you know...it is illegal for fishing cooperativa members to take the public out sport fishing...
it is really infuriating when people go out with unlicensed fisherman as the legal sportfishing outfits pay alot of money for the permits and insurance.

I was thinking that, but didn't have the exact facts, as you
outlined, however I imagine it is done to some extent,
illegal or not, may be more so in lower visible areas.
Barra was my go to place, back in the day

[Edited on 5-31-2017 by sancho]
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 02:55 PM

Chayote,

You will have absolutely no problem in Loreto booking a panguero for a fishing trip for a half day, whole day, or all week. Simply show up at the marina and they will solicit you. Or, if you want, let me know if/when you will be in town and I will set you up with somebody.

Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 02:56 PM

Just to let you know...it is illegal for fishing cooperativa members to take the public out sport fishing...they dont have permits or insurance for that so they would be risking their jobs if you ask them to...nor are they supposed to sell you fish as the product belongs to the cooperative...not the fisherman.

it is really infuriating when people go out with unlicensed fisherman as the legal sportfishing outfits pay alot of money for the permits and insurance. If you are caught, the boat and your gear could be confiscated and you can be fined.

Thank you for the heads up I was not fully aware of this. The person I charter from Manzanillo is definitely licensed in this since he participates in the Marlin competition every year. Would you have any contact info for authorized fisherman that can take us out for like 4 hours? I'm heading down from Los Angeles later this year.
Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
Chayote,

You will have absolutely no problem in Loreto booking a panguero for a fishing trip for a half day, whole day, or all week. Simply show up at the marina and they will solicit you. Or, if you want, let me know if/when you will be in town and I will set you up with somebody.

That would be perfect!!!!!! I will send you a U2U once I know the exact dates. Thank you!!!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 03:56 PM

when there are tournaments, sometimes fishing cooperativa pangas are used as there arent enough charter boats to accommodate participants.

My husband Juan Arce Marron has charter boats and is a great captain and would be happy to take you out...our best season for pelagic game fish is from Oct-Dec but big yellowtail are here till February and world class calicos are here much of the year. You can see more into at www.bahiaasuncion.com

thanks for understanding....many people think Baja has no rules and dont realize things are changing here which is better for sustainable fishing. Things are getting more organized now and there are more inspectors to check on you and enforce the regulations and limits. We still see guys who want to take as many fish as they can put in the boat instead of respecting the limits....which sucks.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 04:11 PM

Chayote; INTERFACE..... that's the ticket. When you roll into a new location in the afternoon or evening, talk to someone local if you haven't been tipped off to who/what/where yet. They're bound to know someone who can serve your needs. Most every town has their own pescador and is known, and probably related. Restaurants, bars, even gas station attendants will know who to direct you to. Hopefully you will be able to set it up that evening for the next morning, wind and weather permitting. That's the best way to find a guide if you haven't pre-arranged yet. Another tip is give your planned area of stay a few days' head-start and hit these boards again, there are enough seasoned rip-lippers here who can hook you up (pun intended) to have a successful hunt.

As Shari said, the guides should be licensed and insured, and that comes with a pretty steep cost so don't faint at the price of the trip. I'm sure you're already aware of the costs, so ..... happy fishin'!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 04:11 PM

We still see guys who want to take as many fish as they can put in the boat instead of respecting the limits....which sucks.

Definitely!!! The same thing is happening in Manzanillo. My uncles down there tell me that before I was born you can see an incredible amount of Marlins in a single day but now its getting tougher.

I will definitely be giving you guys a call to schedule a fishing trip and a stay at Bufadora.
Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 04:18 PM

bajabuddha,

I'm finding out from everywhere I travel that interface is the best thing to do. I', learning that even more now that I'm reading all the discussions on this forum.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chayote  
bajabuddha,

I'm finding out from everywhere I travel that interface is the best thing to do. I', learning that even more now that I'm reading all the discussions on this forum.

Too true, amigo. From all my Baja adventures the ones that I hold most cherished came from casual encounters with fellow travelers and locals, just by talking (pre-computer and internet days a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away). Be it in a building or around a campfire, or by the RV under the stars... Espiritu Baja has weaned some, but can still be found with a cold one and a smile.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Chayote

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by Chayote  
bajabuddha,

Too true, amigo. From all my Baja adventures the ones that I hold most cherished came from casual encounters with fellow travelers and locals, just by talking (pre-computer and internet days a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away). Be it in a building or around a campfire, or by the RV under the stars... Espiritu Baja has weaned some, but can still be found with a cold one and a smile.

Those are the kind of memories me and my friends are looking to make with this trip. A lot of people are skeptical when we tell them about this trip we are taking. Not sure because of all the stuff they see on the news or because we are doing it in a classic vw bug. But I'm always in for the adventure.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 05:06 PM

In the old days every town had at least one mechanic that specialized in VW's--:light::coolup:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
In the old days every town had at least one mechanic that specialized in VW's--:light::coolup:

I will bet many of them are still there! It may surprise you to know that the VW bug was manufactured and sold in Mexico as late as 2004.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 05:39 PM

Mexico City Taxis!!!!!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Chayote

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 10:57 AM

AKgringo & Cliffy,

So I shouldn't be worried about breaking down and not finding a mechanic who knows his way around an old vw engine?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.