Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: need advice...please read
Anonymous
Unregistered

question.gif posted on 2-15-2005 at 11:57 PM
need advice...please read

okay...here's the deal...at the end of feb, we (my hubby, our son, and me) will be moving to TJ. We will be staying in my brother-in-law's house for about a year...my husband will work there, as he is a mexican citizen.
Is it feasible to get a six-month tourist visa, leave the country for a day, and then get another 6-mo visa? I wanted to go for the FM-3, but hubby and brother-in-law don't think I should spend the money even for the tourist visa...what do you all think?
Also...How do I go about importing my car and transfering it to my hubby's name so he can drive it down there? I won't be driving in mex, he can do it.
Do I need to get a tourist visa for our almost 2-year-old son? Is it true that he qualifies for mexican citizenship since his dad is a mexican citizen?
Also, how do I get my stuff down there? I am planning on storing most of my stuff in san ysidro or san diego...but hubby insists on the tv, and I have to have the computer, as I take online classes. We don't own a fridge or stove, as we currently live in an apartment, so we don't have to worry about bringing those, although my mother wants to give us her washer and dryer.
Any advice???

sorry this is so long~
Smiley
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 08:42 AM

If you are looking for accurate advise, why don't you just check with the closest Mexican consulate instead of asking for opinions here on legal issues?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
If you are looking for accurate advise, why don't you just check with the closest Mexican consulate instead of asking for opinions here on legal issues?

this is the best advise you will git.

I think you are eligible for Mexican citizenship also. it is worth checking on.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 09:58 AM
Mean street here

Come on folks, now let?s be a little more helpful to Smiley here! She is overwhelmed by the new adventure of Baja legalities. Weren?t we all down that road once upon a time?

SAN DIEGO, CA
1549 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Tel: (619) 231-8414
Fax: (619 231-4802
Email: consulsd@cts.com

Go to this site for all your answers (in Espanol).
http://www.sre.gob.mx/sandiego/
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 11:31 AM
Menaje

You have many questions and yes, the best advise is to go to your nearest Mexican Consulate. As for the items that you plan to bring with you, here is the link to aduana so you dont get busted smuggling a tv set, and this way you can bring all you want http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/webadunet/aga.aspx?Q=r35 . We live in Tijuana and if you'd like e-mail me, we would be glad to help.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 12:08 PM

A very generous offer from ftd.

I agree with your hubby and bro-in-law - if you're just staying in TJ I wouldn't bother with any visa at all. Chances are you'll be crossing the border every few days so that should make it legal.

If you want to bring a few items across check out ftd's link - you'll be declaring items as you bring them into Mexico. From what you've described it shouldn't be too expensive.

If your hubby has a US license I wouldn't bother with importing the car - although this might depend on if he uses it in his business.

If you decide to import the vehicle have an agent do it - it'll cost 50 - 100 dollars more but worth the hassle. Agents can be found in the yellow pages or the classifieds of the paper.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 03:52 PM
thanks!

I did check the consulate website, but got confused.

Thanks yankeeirishman, for the understanding...I am overwhelmed...only 10 days left to pack:no:

fdt~
thanks for the link and the offer of help, I may email you...want to run that by hubby first.

Braulio~
Thanks! This is just what I was looking for! I will need a tourist visa if we decide to do any traveling outside of the border area, correct? Hubby does not have a us license, we are wanting to get his license there in TJ and put mex. plates on the car...do you know how we would go about this?

I already know about the notarized letter if I want to bring our son over the border by myself, but is there anything else I should know about bringing an almost 2 year old down there? And does anyone know about the dual-citizenship thing?

thanks again!
Smiley
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 04:51 PM

fdt (Ferna de Tijuana) is a good person... like you, his esposa is a gringa.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 05:24 PM

Git auto insurance

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 05:55 PM

Darn Braulio.....I was try'in to get a score with her!
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 06:54 PM

Just remember, the information from a Consulate located in the US may vary from what is applied by customs and imigration at the point of entry. Wether it should or not is an entirely different story.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 06:58 PM

Your Mexican as far as the law is concerned ( try to make it official), and you wont need a visa.

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 08:05 PM

Hey....I DO INDEED carry current pictures of all who travels with me! Also....copies of all legal papers including driver license. Just in case........

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2005 at 09:09 AM

Yankee - I thought yu were married dude - what the L kind of a board do you think this is here?

Anonima - it's been almost a year since I've imported a vehicle - I think your best bet is going to be to talk to several auto import agents to get the details. You'll find a fairly wide range of prices so shop around. Without knowing the model/year of car you have it's impossible to say how much it'll run. Here are some offhand thoughts:

1) If you have an older car (10 years or so) and it's not a special sport model or something you're probably talking in the 4-5 hundred dollar range for the frontier plates.

2) If you have an older pickup (10 yr) you probably want to get the national plates - figure about the same price - maybe a little more.

3) You can have it registered in both countries so either keep up the registration in the US or at least nonop it after it's imported to keep options open.

4) You'll need a mexican driver's license to drive it in Mexico (assuming you don't keep the registration current/active in CA) - both of you should get one so you can drive it in Mexico. You'll have to have some proof of residency in Mexico (like a light bill or telephone receipt) in your name and proof of municipal taxes having been paid. They've never asked me for a visa in Mexico for a driver's license. The importation agent should be able to help you with this. The license process should run you about 35-50 after everything and may take a couple of days of scurrying.

5) The advice about getting insurance is good - minimal coverage is pretty cheap - don't drive without it.

Good Luck - keep us posted - bienvenida al manicomio ..er foro.

[Edited on 2-17-2005 by Braulio]
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-17-2005 at 05:11 PM
esposa gringa

Yes Mrs. ferna is a gringa (Kentucky hillbilly) but from living in M?xico fort so long she might be turning human:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.