Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Colnet Paradise Hotel RIP OFF
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Hmmmmm???? In the States, we stay in hotel/motels that run from about $50 to $75 a night all the time. How do they do it??? I don't know, but they do.

yes, in an undesirable area, in the off season, in a truck-stop-exit econo-sleep-box-type-hotel (like quality inn or motel 6), you might find those rates

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 02:31 PM

I think we've gone a bit beyond the original posters frustration. Many Baja travelers don't follow Baja's racing. They definitely pick a bad travel time. But when you have a destination in mind, know what the rates are and that the place is seldom occupied you look forward to a nice quiet crash pad for the night. What a shock when the cost are almost tripled. B&S your numbers may be correct and profit margins are tight for sure but they also would like to draw diners in and with the bar it would make a difference to have higher occupancy.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 02:38 PM

What I said, stands...Stupid statement

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 02:41 PM

you crackhead filthy whippersnappers, you'll get bedbugs I tell ya!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 03:39 PM

I personally would not pay $230 a night for any hotel. I've stayed in $200+ hotels but the company paid the bill. They were Ok but I'm happy with most Motel 6s. Holiday Inn and Best Western for a little better quality.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 04:08 PM

Not sure about the math here. Baja Cactus used to charge $350 MX a night, I think they have recently raised it 100 pesos. It's clean, secure and friendly, a quality place in the middle of nowhere. I don't think he is operating the hotel at a loss every night. No restaurant/bar either.

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
... Are not 10 rooms rented at $40 better than 2 rooms at $100, as word of mouth referrals are so valuable, coming from 5 times more clients?

that's just advertising you are following like a lamb...

lets do the math...

these estimates are for ONE room for one night...not the hotel
Check-in guy $6
room cleaner $3
room tax $8
shampoo and room soap $1
Laundry and supplies for cleaning $2
Water and toilet paper $3
Electric in and OUT plus bulbs $6
room wear and tear (sheets and towels) $3

total $32
rent $40
profit $8

profit on 10 rooms $80 a night
and there is a 40% vacancy factor in that area

so the owner would male about 48 bucks a day

would you work for that?
I think not

they rate for that place should be $100 a nite EVERYDAY

not a very good return

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 04:24 PM

"as for hotels...i'm in the business (not willingly)..."

I think you need a new line of retirement.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I personally would not pay $230 a night for any hotel. I've stayed in $200+ hotels but the company paid the bill. They were Ok but I'm happy with most Motel 6s. Holiday Inn and Best Western for a little better quality.

TMW I believe most people would agree with you. I think most people are not wanting to participate in a contest to see who wants to pay the most for a hotel. The goal for most is to get off the road and get a good nights sleep at a reasonable price. I hope Bill Gates doesn't chime in here with his idea of a decent hotel.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 06:05 PM

When I travel I want a good bed and shower. I can do without TV, it's OK but not necessary. For most of my travels I stay in the same places. If I'm staying more than one night then I want something better. One of the best places I've stayed is Las Gaviotas in La Paz. Kitchen, dining area, living room, two bedrooms one with a bathroom and patio facing the harbor. $130 per night plus tax. Last time I stayed there it was for three nights. We did day trips during the day around southern Baja. It was like a home away from home.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

:lol:....although I did not not partake.....locals in the area have told me shortly after opening the bar out front was a blast....don't know anything about the hotel though.....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 07:04 PM

thats funny.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Hmmmmm???? In the States, we stay in hotel/motels that run from about $50 to $75 a night all the time. How do they do it??? I don't know, but they do.

well...you stay in a DIVE with crack-heads and filthy people

you'll get bed-bug bites one-day

nextime you rent a hotel...step up a little and break a 120 and see how much cleaner it is...

and book in advance...you ALWAYS get a better rate in the usa

if this poster had "called-ahead" she would have KNOWN the price and this discussion would never have been posted

the world is changing...its not 1970 anymore...I know...I live with 1970 prices in mind all the time

"Crack heads and filthy people"??????? LOL No, never!!! We call ahead direct to the hotel, negotiate, use discounts, etc. and usually (but not always) find decent places that are well below $100, sometimes significantly below $100. All we want is a nice bed, a shower, quiet, and a nice restaurant within a reasonable distance. Free breakfasts too are nice. (Super 8, Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western, or private establishments, mostly.) For instance: Plaza Hotel in Carson City---$57 a night for 2---love that place. We have stayed in multi-$100 a night places, and most always come away with the question, "why did we spend that much, and for what"? LOL We all have different priorities.

On Edit: Super clean hotels weaken your immune-system , you know. LOL

[Edited on 6-6-2017 by Barry A.]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 08:32 AM

Ditzy Susan maybe is trying to justify her high rates? And if they are less than exorbitant, she is running a flop house filled with crackheads and filthy people and fleas? Her words not mine...

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 09:00 AM

everyone knows crackheads don't sleep, they just wander around all night.....so the beds should be pristine!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 09:29 AM

everyone knows crackheads don't sleep, they just wander around all night.....so the beds should be pristine!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I enjoy a comfortable and well-appointed motel/hotel when travelling....and like to hang on to some of that hard-earned money for more years in this phase of life mislabeled as "retirement"...so will look for rooms for under $100 (which in the USA is $130 for me as a Canuck)....it is inaccurate to suggest that inexpensive establishments are solely inhabited by crackheads....I have stayed in expensive places that are full of fat loudmouths carrying on at all hours as they seem to think they are entitled to act that way because they are throwing their money around....

TripAdviser is full of affordable mom and pop places that are inexpensive and get top ratings....and they don't even have a lighthouse out front.

But none of it really matters as the entire planet is out of control :(

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 09:37 AM

What GED said...I just booked a Motel in Casper Wyoming Days Inn, for a Cowboy Poetry Venue, spotless quiet full breakfast.....68.00...same place we stayed last year same price as last year...

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 09:41 AM

Tom Bodett always leaves the light on for me:coolup:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 10:25 AM

My wife and I did did an 11 state western vacation in September of 2011. We stayed at Motel 6 every night except one, it was a Best Western. Prices for M6 were usually near $50 with discount. Mammoth Mtn was near $70. BW in Livingston, Montana was $120. It was nicer with a bigger room with sofa. We were not un-happy with any place we stayed.

Mammoth was interesting in that I had to lug my ice chest about 50 yards to the room. They recommended keeping the ice chest with food in the room due to the bears. At the time I was wishing I had wheels on it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 11:52 AM

Maybe it was full of money?

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Mammoth was interesting in that I had to lug my ice chest about 50 yards to the room. They recommended keeping the ice chest with food in the room due to the bears. At the time I was wishing I had wheels on it.

why do you need to lug an ice chest when you stay at a hotel???

Read the second sentence - there are bears at Mammoth Lake.

Coolers in the back of open pickups (and sometimes even in the back seat of sedans) are an open invitation for bear damage. Even without food in the cooler, the odor is still there.

Ever see the door frames/windows of a vehicle bent outward at 90 deg? Usually means that a bear saw something inside that he wanted .....

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.