BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "Lifetime" metal roof rusting?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 6-27-2017 at 03:33 PM

Well...we do live 100' from the Sea of Cortez! I plan on painting mine with the red elastomeric roofing paint. Same stuff Doc put on my casita in the pic. I did notice one of my new steel panics oxidizing a little more than the others. I agree with the edict to build for my life. I figure I've got ten good years left in me! Hopefully the casa stands that long.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-27-2017 at 04:10 PM

Metal roofing is strange, We have really severe weather here with hail up to baseball size, wind rain snow and extreme sun..all of our buildings now have metal roofs...panels on the same roof react differently, as to fade Rust...etc...The good news is none of them leak....

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:58 AM

Timestamp issue resolved.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 09:18 AM

I recently found some corrugated metal roofing at Dixieline in San Diego that is miles above the quality I saw at Home Depot.

It has a smooth sealed finished surface on it that looks to seal the metal from rusting. The clean look is far superior to the open galvanized metal at Home Depot and with the metal base is stronger than the plastic versions. It was a touch more, but the difference is well worth it. Food for thought.

Thanks to all here.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 12:26 PM

Was at the Bay last week and looked at your roofing. You're not kidding! I was really surprised at the amount of rust! I'm guessing all the rust underneath is from condensation? You would think the galvanizing would prevent that. I decided to put lamina plastica on my patio roof after seeing yours.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 12:27 PM

Doug where did you get the plastic lamina?

Edit: i'm looking at a Suntuf polycarbonate product from H-Depot but
Reviews are not encouraging. Might just go plywood and torchdown.

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by woody with a view]

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 09:14 AM

Reyna is shopping for me. I told her about the stuff at HD. She said she can find it cheaper. I'll probably do it the week of Labor Day. I'll let you know. The stuff on my old place has held up for 12-13 years. I'm also thinking of just using cardon like at Libby and Pete's place. I like the natural look and don't mind some sun getting through. If Doc would let me I'd do palm fronds.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.