Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Bye-Bye Puertecitos
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 07:07 PM

To each their own. One of the draws of going to Baja for me is to escape the pretentiousness of Southern California. Everything is relative. Even in the wasteland-esque area around puertecitos there is inherent beauty in the sea of Cortez. Unfortunately the fishing will never be what it was.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 08:28 PM

These people are delusional. And we've had this discussion before. And it did not come to be. Nothing has changed. There's still no way to get there except to drive yourself on bad roads. Fishing is poor. Hot in the summer. No water. And they will encounter the same problems that plagued Loreto Bay - no ready labor - no place to house the labor. Import all construction materials - that one Home Depot in Mexicali is not going to do it. They'll build an arch entrance, a wall, take a lot of money from the government and then ... We'll see another headline in 7 years.

In order to consolidate a tourism development in the Puertecitos delegation, where in its first stage it contemplates an investment of 1,500 million pesos that includes the construction of 2 thousand rooms, municipal and state authorities are coordinated to accelerate procedures before the federal government.
After holding a meeting with the investors, the municipal president indicated that they maintain close coordination with the governor Francisco Vega de Lamadrid, to support the project called "Marina Azul", planned to locate it in the coasts of the Gulf of California
Marco Antonio Novelo Osuna reported that an investment of 1.5 billion pesos is calculated only in headwater works - desalination plant, treatment plant and photovoltaic energy.
He estimated that during the first stage will generate more than 5 thousand jobs, between direct and indirect.
Accompanied by the Secretary of Tourism of the State, Óscar Escobedo Carignan, the mayor emphasized the importance of launching this development that has great potential and would be the largest in Baja California's history.
He recalled that investors, of Spanish origin, started negotiations since 2010, however, for various reasons, including the slowness in some procedures, the start of the project has been slowed, so it is being supported by various agencies.
"I want the investors of Marina Azul and the business sector in general to know that in Ensenada we are facilitators, that we look for the way that new companies settle in our municipality, generate employment and help us improve the quality of life of our population" , Concluded.
According to data from the state government, the delegation of Puertecitos is projected a world-class tourism development, promoted by the Inveravante Group.
This is the Marinazul Golf & Resort, will be located south of San Felipe within the territory of the municipality of Ensenada.
The plan contemplates the construction of a tourist residential development in an area of 1,200 hectares. It consists of 5 thousand 598 residential units, 3 thousand 995 hotel units, equestrian center, 27-hole golf course, shopping area, restaurants. As part of the entertainment equipment, there is a nautical club, islands with spa services, among other areas.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 08:42 PM

True, wilderone. However, they did it in San Carlos, a planned gringolandia for the affluent 'slummers' to live and play. They did it at Puerto Peñasco, complete with fairways and greens in the sand dunes with huge condo high-rises along a former pristine 6-mile long beach. They seem to be doing all a-ok so far, even though the shrimping the area was sustained by for years is tanked. Commercial fishing guides take people out for miles charging big bucks just to catch triggers where yuuuge sea bass used to be the norm.

Maybe they can hire Tom Hanks as a spokesman: "If you build it, they will come". However I doubt very seriously he'd take the job. Time marches on; we can pound our hands in the sand and howl at the moon, just like we did for Glen Canyon Dam(n); ain't if, but when.... people like ol' Slim will make their bucks. We have a developer running the not-so-free world right now, so stand by for the fecal material striking the rotary oscillator at an accelerated force. 'Tis the way of the wind.

One of my favorite campfire toasts is, "Here's to the good-old-days, because today is the good-old-days. So here's to the good-old-days".

It has come to pass more than once.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 09:27 PM

I don't understand something-
Just how much pristine, undisturbed, locked up wilderness do we really need?
I' not saying to lay waste to the land but come on, where does it stop?

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 10:35 PM

Today is tomorrow's 'Good-Old-Day', so enjoy it while you can...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 01:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
That Northern stretch is god awful ugly and if you say different you haven't seen Baja or much of the mainland. The only reason ppl go there if truth be told is it's proximity to the border.

In 1972 some high school buds father owned Camborac Camper, Fullerton, CA, and they built some pretty tough shells in the day. They also went on to build fiberglass boats under the Cabo brand until that fell apart.

Their dad loved Baja and was one of those real old timers you met back in the day who really paid their dues, paved the way and lit your stoke on Baja. If they needed something to enhance their Baja experience they built it.

They had a very simple place in Puertecitos on the bay. The fishing was good and the town seemed like an oasis. Puertecitos was actually quite vibrant and enjoyable in a laid back fisherman-drinking man kinda of way.

Nowadays when I take that route, which is not often, Puertecitos reminds me of the small towns in middle America. Weathered skeletons stand starkly in contrast to their glory days. The time frames are similar too, heydays in the 70s and early 80s going downhill fast from there. I do not find it ugly but interesting and educational.

So yes, we see it differently, which is ok. One can only hope to know Baja and Mexico as well as you do JZ. Maybe someday?

Good post.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 03:50 AM

NOW! That is really FUNNY!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 07:23 AM
Don Please Provide Historical Info on Camborac Camper and Cabo Boats

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
That Northern stretch is god awful ugly and if you say different you haven't seen Baja or much of the mainland. The only reason ppl go there if truth be told is it's proximity to the border.

In 1972 some high school buds father owned Camborac Camper, Fullerton, CA, and they built some pretty tough shells in the day. They also went on to build fiberglass boats under the Cabo brand until that fell apart.

Their dad loved Baja and was one of those real old timers you met back in the day who really paid their dues, paved the way and lit your stoke on Baja. If they needed something to enhance their Baja experience they built it.

The rest of you please bear with me for hijacking this thread for just a bit.

I'm a owner of a 1987 Cabo216 and am very interested in its history from conception to end. It appears you grew up paling with the son of the owner of Camborac Campers, John Winterling. What do you know about John producing the Cabo boat and his marine architect friend who designed it? Did they both fish together out of Puertocitos? Is this where the design of the Cabo was formulated to meet the fishing conditions of the area, i.e. the diversity of critical systems due to its remote location, range, wide walk-around deck, 2-bait tanks, thick hull, etc.?

I first saw this boat at the 1987 Boat Show in Del Mar and talked for a long time with the owner John Winterling. He told me about his buddy a marine architect who designed the original Cabo216/226/256 and built it in John's camper business. And that he died shortly before the Boat Show. I visited John a few years later at his factory. He said he was not doing well and closed shortly after that due to lawsuits against his company. I finally bought one in 2003. With me it has over 3000 hours on two motors with multiple trips to Baja.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86683#pid1081...
My recent trip to Gonzaga Bay was an exploratory fishing trip to see if it was worth the effort and $ to drag my Cabo216 down there. This is the only part of Baja I had not fished yet. I currently do not have a trailer for the boat. My verdict is I'm now looking for a trailer with Fall plans to head there again. With a 300 mile range there are few places this boat could not get to in this area of Baja, i.e. Golden Reef is on my Bucket List.

Wouldn't it be cool if this boat was designed specifically to fish the area around Puertocitos.

My 1987 Cabo216 with F150

[Edited on 6-10-2017 by Lobsterman]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  

I'm a owner of a 1987 Cabo216

Wouldn't it be cool if this boat was designed specifically to fish the area around Puertocitos.

Would seem to be a foolish business decision to design a boat specifically for puertocitos. Just saying...

boats like yours are common. your boat has similar design to a dozens of similar brands/makes. There is no mystical design/features in your boat, it looks like common design, common fishing boat.

Now, about those puke-green seats,... the designer should be keel hauled! Perhaps the color choice came from puertocitos - jizz would probably agree!
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 09:15 AM

That's a beautiful boat Lobsterman. The teal or turquoise seats probably look amazing out in the bay.

Puertecitos seems pretty specific, but you never know where boat builders get their inspiration. It definitely seems geared toward fishing the Sea of Cortez.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 09:22 AM

Some of us could dream from our arm chairs better if we could google earth where "golden reef" is?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 09:27 AM

about 20 miles straight out to sea.....that boats gonna feel really small!

[Edited on 6-10-2017 by willardguy]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 09:39 AM

i always stress out on my boat when we're out in the deep blue Sea of Cortez. when i'm in someone's boat i don't have a care in the world beside sunburn and fish count! weird or what?

maybe it's because i'm responsible for others lives on my boat? and i expect the same form others on their boat? weird!

[Edited on 6-10-2017 by woody with a view]

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 10:10 AM

I've been 10 miles out in my 15 ft tin boat with a 20 HP tiller motor at BOLA. Boy, was that a small boat out there. Said i'd never do that again.
Never did. Too old now to even think of it.
Does old age make you smarter of cowardly?

I wish I had had a boat like that, then.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 12:33 PM

I first saw this boat at the 1987 Boat Show in Del Mar and talked for a long time with the owner John Winterling. He told me about his buddy a marine architect who designed the original Cabo216/226/256 and built it in John's camper business. And that he died shortly before the Boat Show. I visited John a few years later at his factory. He said he was not doing well and closed shortly after that due to lawsuits against his company. I finally bought one in 2003. With me it has over 3000 hours on two motors with multiple trips to Baja.

By the time Papa John started building the Cabo boats I was long gone from the area. I did visit a few times and saw the molds and watched them hand lay a hull. At that time the boat building scene was happening throughout the area. Skipjack was close by before they moved to Costa Mesa and Pacific Seacraft was nearby also.

Cabos were tough trailer boats and if not specifically built for Puertecitos they were 100% designed with the Sea of Cortez fishing experience in mind. John built tough campers, like Callen's did later. And he built a tough little boat, just enough vee to cut the short chop of the Cortez and flat enough on the bottom to beach it for lunch also. Like pangas but more beam, freeboard, creature comforts and much more glass mat.

He owned a plane and the family flew often to Baja back in the time when av gas was cheap, airstrips on both sides of the border were many and customs and immigration regulations were simple to follow. It was the golden age of Baja and John was doing it.

Then came the age of chop shop blown glass in both campers and boats and price points along with weight were the the enemy. Camborac Camper failed as the market for hand built, framed and skinned shells was blown away by cheaper and lighter fiberglass models which were also mated better to the imports of smaller trucks from Toyota and Nissan.

Cabo boats failed because of a common design error on many smaller boats. The earlier versions of the 216 had this flaw. They used a notched transom to mount the outboard, did not build a splash well to to stop the ingress of seawater into the boat and they mounted the batteries aft.

Potentially this created a scenario where ingressing seawater could come over the transom, flood the boat simultaneously shorting the batteries causing loss of power to all systems. No propulsion, no pumps, bad combo. Throw in any kid of wind, current and seas and you have a problem

Over the years I have owned an El Sauzal, Rosendo Ramos built panga, a Potter built SeaCraft and a Kencraft, all 20ft center consoles, outboard powered boats and they all possessed the same design flaw. Quick fix was to bring the batteries foward and build a splash guard from starboard to keep the water from ever coming on board. Why John never noticed the potential problem from that flaw I will never understand. First time out on a boat like those fishing dead in the water in wind and current and you will see the problem and fix it!

For whatever the reasons they did not recognize the flaw or offer to fix it on the susceptible hulls and one day it proved fatal. A boat sank and 3 lives were lost. The subsequent lawsuit was the end of Cabo boats.

BD has a discussion on Cabo boats. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/cabo-boat-owners.6...

Puertecitos was a great spot for short jaunts from OC and SD back in the day. Fishing was good enough and the Baja experience was real.

In the end it was a combination of events which took the shine away from Puertecitos. When the Colorado River was damned up that stopped the seasonal water flows into the delta and the entire ecosystem was forever altered. The upper Sea of Cortez changed and is still morphing.

Regarding the original post good bye Puertecitos, a lot of us already said that long ago. The fishing is slow and the catching even slower.

If this proposed mega project can put a new veneer on Puertecitos I hope it succeeds. They are not making sea shore anymore.

Another thread hijacked, oops.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 01:44 PM

I enjoyed reading every word. Thank you for posting that DonJorge!

It is interesting how much boat building changed over time. The saying 'they don't build them like they used to' really applies to old boats.

Viva Puertecitos!
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 02:31 PM

Cabos were tough trailer boats and if not specifically built for Puertecitos they were 100% designed with the Sea of Cortez fishing experience in mind. John built tough campers,....

Cabo boats failed because of a common design error on many smaller boats. The earlier versions of the 216 had this flaw. They used a notched transom to mount the outboard, did not build a splash well to to stop the ingress of seawater into the boat and they mounted the batteries aft.

Don thanks for your version of history both on Cambora campers and Cabo Cuddycons. When I purchased my Cabo216 in 2003 I soon after moved the batteries into the cuddly, replaced all the non-marine wiring, installed a splash well and abandoned the two, 20gal bait tanks and replaced it with a 30 gal above deck bait tank. I only reason I can suspect that he failed to make these changes is because his business was failing and his buddy, the marine architect, was not there to monitor and modify his beta design. Now these boats are becoming more popular as an inexpensive and efficient boat if the said initial shortcomings are corrected. While putting over 3000 hours on this boat in the ocean, I've encountered seas I should not have been in but go home in one piece each time.

So the Cabo216 was probably designed for the waters in and like around Puertocitos.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 02:53 PM
Moved WHERE ?

" ............. into the cuddly .........."

??????????
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.