Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: and we went to the dentist! kids and teeth
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-9-2017 at 07:15 PM
and we went to the dentist! kids and teeth

So the flying dentists came to Punta Abreojos and I surely was one of the first to write and ask for spots for 10 kids.

Then I announced to the middle school kids that anyone could go. Five of them had been given freebee coupons a month ago. Eight went with me today, two go tomorrow.

The kids got picked up at 7:15 and we headed over to Abre. Here we are shorlty before the clinic opened up. We always come bearing gifts - today was 100 toothbrushes donated by Steve Martin - thanks!. I donated a clipboard I had and 12 pens that John donated -thanks! The clinic says their pens seem to walk off ....

The whole group

Gerardo runs the front office:

Mariana goes around to schools and teaches kids about proper dental care, checks each mouth and tells the student if they have cavities or need a cleaning or need braces.....and she hands out toothbrushes. At the clinic, she is the general manager and has a lot on her plate.

Gerardo and Mariana

Natalia was the first one in and she has some serious issues. They did one molar but she has two more cavities that have to wait until the next dental clinic.

Nathalia 1 - my 9th grade student

Nathalia 2

This is Riquelmer and this was his second trip to the dentist ever. He still needs more work. The dentists are really happy that the kids are starting earlier and hopefully will have a full set of healthy teeth soon.

Riquelmer - 9th grade

Britzia (I love her name) has terrible teeth already. She is my 7th grade student, so we have plenty of time to fix her up. Her mom is a single mom and is ever so grateful that she got to go get started on a dental hygiene program.

Britzia

Juan Pedro (9th grader) has the beginning of gum disease but no cavities. I have to keep searching for the silver lining hahaha

Juan Pedro

Here are the kids while waiting for their amigos. I have no idea what they were looking at on the cell phone but it must have been interesting.

The group of kids

Here are the last of the kids. The dentists are so gentle and so kind and really professional. Thank God for good Samaritans!!!

Wlliams - 9th grader

Cristian - 9th grader

Andry - 7th grader

Taori - 8th grader

The clinic also had a chiropractor and one of the moms who drove the kids over with me, decided to get straightened out. She came out all smiles.

Then, a police woman from Abreojos came in to see the chiropractor. She also came out all smiles:

Chiropractor on police woman

and lastly - Joaquin our famous chef AT BAJA CACTUS - called me for the phone number to head over for a toothache. He promised them a free meal as long as they took care of his teeth. I don't think they realize what an awesome offer he made!

Joaquin

I can't thank the dentists and everyone enough! They call the program SONRISAS DORADAS to match up with the golden coast of Baja. Their plan is to tackle teeth of all humans in need of dental care in Punta Abreojos, La Bocana, San Ignacio, Bahia Asuncion and Vizcaino. We are lucky to have them.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 07:08 PM

Just curious- do the dentists even mention to these kids to stop drinking CocaCola?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 08:50 PM

Not that I know of but you are so right, and I will make a point to tell them about not to drink sodas. Over and over.

We mostly tell them to brush at least twice a day. To go for the checkups twice a year.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:38 PM

My granddaughter was invited to a kids birthday party. My daughter, sitting around with the Mexican moms, made a comment about how much sugar there was- tons of Coke and soft drinks, bowls full of candy, cookies, and other sugary snacks, not to mention the birthday cake.

The Mexican moms looked at her sort of pityingly, and asked her if she wasn't aware that candy is an ESSENTIAL part of a child's diet.
Seriously.

Education on this stuff is key. You're doing good work, Blanca.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:46 PM

Also, many years ago, my Canadian dentist told me it is actually more important to brush your teeth BEFORE consuming sugary stuff than after, as it is the chemical reaction between plaque and sugar that causes cavities.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 07:32 AM

and get em off the saltines....same as candy or soda.

[Edited on 6-16-2017 by willardguy]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 10:25 AM

surabi - that note about the plaque and sugar mix is interesting - I had no idea. The dental assistant who came and talked to the middle school told the kids to brush their teeth as soon as they woke up and not after eating breakfast. Seems counter intuitive to me unless the reason is what you just said.

Come visit La Bocana

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 10:41 AM

http://askthedentist.com/the-5-worst-supermarket-foods-for-y...
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 11:56 AM

Thank YOU to all the people that help those kids. Thank you.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 02:00 PM

Thanks TedZark

who knew about the crackers? not me, that's for sure.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 01:37 PM

update

- my mom sent me a huge mouthwash without knowing that I needed one for Juan Pedro. Somehow she simply finds exactly what I need when I need it. Way to go MOM.

- The dentists did come over to eat with Joaquin at the Cactus Restaurant. When we ran into one of them, he said that he didn't think he had ever eaten better lobster. Good job Joaquin!

- when Julian (college sponsored senior) stopped by the other day, I gave him two tubes of toothpaste. We also had his broken tooth fixed recently. Thanks MMc for helping me out with that!

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.