BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Casa Encinares, Adobe food truck, Mision Catavina, Real Inn & Alfonsina's
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 07:48 AM
Casa Encinares, Adobe food truck, Mision Catavina, Real Inn & Alfonsina's

Some notes on these spots from our last trip:

Stayed the weekend in Guadalupe Valley at Casa Encinares here. This is a family compound about 2 miles up a dirt road in a narrow canyon on the south side of the valley. The canyon is covered in large oaks and many families have compounds built in this canyon. $300, via AirBNB, for a weekend for two people. A little rustic (not Adobe Guadalupe or Hacienda Guadalupe level), just what you would expect if a large extended family made a place for vacations and get-togethers. Wonderful breakfast, very peaceful. SWMBO likes to read in bed and if you do as well, bring a reading light. A great place to recover from a day of wine tasting. Their website quotes cheaper prices so contact them that way first,

Mision Catavina: This was our first time ever staying here, made reservations by stopping at the sister hotel in San Quintin about noon, they called the hotel for us. Not necessary this time as the hotel was only about a third full. $1220p, ($70dllr +/-). Wi-Fi available for purchase @ $30p for 1 hour. Make sure you know how to turn the timer off so that if you want to check email in the morning, your hour has not expired. Surprising bene is an in-room coffee maker with coffee. (We bring a 10 cup coffee machine with us so we can get coffee at 5:00am). Mini-split in each room. The pool is very nice, but was real buggy by the afternoon; I noticed in the morning it had been cleaned of the floaters so probably a common daily occurrence. Drinks and dinner at the pool bar, a game room adjacent to the pool which we had to ourselves. We had a very moving conversation with our server about his life with his family in El Rosario and he working in Catavina.

Alfonsina's: Rant: Had lunch there on the way home and we agreed it would probably be the last time, maybe pull into Papa's and try that. Walked into the cafe, sat down and waited 10 minutes while other folks walked in and got service. OK, got up and walked to the bar, stood, stood, stood and finally went over to the kitchen door and someone poked their head around the corner. I ordered 2 beers which she got and I asked "Comida?", she said yes. Went back to the table and she followed with menus. I asked for chips and salsa and she said OK. A few minutes later she comes back, takes our order of two entrées and we ask for frijoles as well and again the chips and salsa. 10 minutes later our food dishes arrive, no frijoles, no chips and salsa. We figure she will be back with those but no, never. When we go to pay, the frijoles are on our bill, I pay and walk out. We are done. If the Rodriguez brothers ever do build a hotel next to the air strip, Alfonsina's will need to step up their service a little bit. It is such a great view, probably worth it. End of rant.

Adobe Guadalupe Food Truck: This is a must stop for lunch while in the valley, very good food and service. The truck is located just outside the entrance to the hotel in a very pleasant patio. Maybe a half dozen tables. The quality of the food is very high and the wines and craft beer also very good. We started off with the rosé and it was so good we stayed with that during our meal. Do not miss this on your next trip.

Real Inn in Mexicali: we always make this our last stop going north; their alcohol license must be suspended as they had a sign that no alcohol could be consumed in the main area, the bar or the restaurant, only your room. The sign said the bar should be operational 'soon'. I know that in March it was out as well. They did 'sneak' us a rosè in a high-ball glass, turned out to be white zin for goodness sakes. I wonder what they did wrong?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 09:49 AM

Thanks for the travel notes Jim. Very sad about Alfonsina's. The location is so great and maybe Antonio is no longer managing the place? I hope this gets to them and is fixed.

Papa Fernandez' is very small, very casual, very inexpensive... a very locals kind of Baja café from my one-time dinner there last January. I will be back.

I have not been to El Sacrificio since they opened a restaurant there. The place was closed up last New Years.

There is also the restaurant at Rancho Grande market and a taco stand out front.

The really good restaurant experience I had (halibut fish dinner) was at La Poma, about 6 miles north of Gonzaga, Km. 133.5

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 06:16 PM

This drop in quality seems to be happening at all the old standbys. Ate at Alf's in March and yes , the service was wonky and the food a little less than mediocre. Sta Inez and Espinosas the same deal. What really broke my spirit was , on the way back home thru SQ, we learned that another fave, La Michoacan (big mural on the N side wall) had vaporized!! Bulldozed for another new building. (somebody tell me we missed it and it's still there)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 09:01 PM

The thing that really bugged me on my last two trips was that Alf's fish tacos we wrapped with 1 corn tortilla from a factory - no different than my local market. The problem is that by the time you get to the last fish taco on the plate, the tortilla has disintegrated from the liquids and everything falls through. There is a reason the good taco places give you two 6" hand made tortillas slightly offset so that they wrap the whole thing but you have two layers at the bottom - it works. We used to get a small salad on the side (shredded lettuce, slice of onion and tomato, julienned carrot, with about a 1/2 cup of 1000 island) and a small cup of frijoles but that has gone the way as well.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 02:49 PM

Good review Santiago. Love that Adobe Guadalupe food truck.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 03:34 PM

I have eaten at the Adobe Guadalupe food truck about 8 times this year. Excellent food and atmosphere.
Plus you can buy souvenirs at the store next door.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I have eaten at the Adobe Guadalupe food truck about 8 times this year. Excellent food and atmosphere.
Plus you can buy souvenirs at the store next door.

By the way, where did these guys come from? Isn't the truck associated with an eatery in TJ?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.