Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 08:55 AM
First Time to Baja - San Luis Border Crossing

Hello :)

Registered with forum today.

Driving down from Yuma.

Seeking info on San Luis crossing.

Is acquiring an FMM card at this location with the required approvals possible?

Continuing on to Hwy 5 eventually, to Bahia de los Angeles.

Thanks

Franco the Gringo. LOL

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 09:34 AM

Yes, I've done it there many times. They also have the office to get a vehicle TIP if driving deep into the mainland. Never that busy.

Watch the stop sign after you go pass the red light/green light, I missed it once and got stopped.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 09:39 AM

Hi JZ

Please explain "TIP".

Planning on driving to Todos Santos and staying for a month.

Thanks
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 09:51 AM

Temporary Import Permit for your car. You don't need one for the Baja California peninsula.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the assistance!:D
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 11:56 AM

Immediate right turn at the end of the street (after you STOP at the stop sign puts you on the toll road...toll booth then military check point...when you transition from Mex 2 onto Mex 5..you have to make a weird right turn...go north about 1/4 mile...flip a u-turn back south ..then a quick right back onto the toll road...watch the signs to get onto the Mex 5....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 12:30 PM

They made us park in secondary, leave the truck and walk back across the street to get our visas. No problems.

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 12:44 PM

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the knowledge.

After crossing headed to a Telcel to purchase a sim and data plan for the cell phone.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the knowledge.

After crossing headed to a Telcel to purchase a sim and data plan for the cell phone.

If you have at&t (and some others) you can roam anywhere in NA without extra phone or data charges. AT&T is the best US carrier in MX.

[Edited on 6-13-2017 by JZ]
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 01:52 PM

Living in the foothills of Alberta although anywhere in Canada when it comes to cell phones it is BOHICA. :lol:

I have an unlocked Android. Chatted with a Telcel rep and all they require is photo ID and a corresponding address for a SIM. Then purchasing an unlimited data plan and cell service.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 02:01 PM

Cell service is limited in Baja. Not much between El Rosario and Villa Jesus MarĂ­a or away from highways in the rest of Baja.

TIP is also not needed in the Sonora Free Zone which is the border to Guaymas... so you can catch the ferry to Santa Rosalia without one.

Baja California is almost an island and Mexico City treats it a bit differently than the mainland.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tkchris

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 09:06 AM
TelCel

Franco,
I live in rural BC so get the Canadian cell issues. Planning to travel to Baja this winter for a few months. What did you end up doing for cell service in the end? Did it work out easily?
TIA
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 09:33 AM

Hello

Contacted Telcel via email, in Spanish, requesting an advanced purchase. No replies.

So I will visit a Telcel office when I cross the border and purchase the SIM. No personal experience that would be informative to relate at the moment.

tkchris

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 12:06 PM

I found a supplier online in Canada and USA that you can purchase from before you leave. They sell on Amazon as well with lots of great reviews. The price they gave was great and service has been awesome. Here's the CAD link. The US link is just .com on the end as well.

https://mexicosimcard.ca
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 12:10 PM

Just be aware that San Luis is the only spot where I've been pulled into secondary for a "check" after crossing south. They were very intrusive and they won't let you pull back to the office which requires a rather long trip around several blocks to get back to that office. It's only happened once and fortunately I knew how to get back so take a look at the overhead map just in case they make you pull left into the secondary check.
YMMV

[Edited on 10-21-2017 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tkchris  
I found a supplier online in Canada and USA that you can purchase from before you leave. They sell on Amazon as well with lots of great reviews. The price they gave was great and service has been awesome. Here's the CAD link. The US link is just .com on the end as well.

https://mexicosimcard.ca

Hello,

First off thanks for the information.
Secondly, the convenience of purchase mirrors the price.

Will purchase a SIM after crossing the USA/Mexico border. Looking into a USA provider that extends their services into Mexico at a reasonable cost. In Canada cell service cost has never been reasonable.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 07:18 AM

Att has best network coverage. Mex/US/Can all calls text and a gig or two of data included in the plan.

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Att has best network coverage. Mex/US/Can all calls text and a gig or two of data included in the plan.

Thanks!!

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 08:24 AM

For any Canucks: CehNehDeh!!

ATT has a no contract plan. Unlimited calls, text and 6 Gig of data for $45/month.

Chatted with knowledgeable agent, unlike Canuck cell providers. Additionally checked the IME for compatibility.

Thanks again Woody with a View!

LOL

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 07:19 PM

Crossed at SL Saturday 10/21 - long lines going south. Pickup loaded and covered with a tarp towing a trailer with my Jeep on board. Followed the signs and used the right lane. At the gate I was directed to secondary where I had to produce the registration for the Jeep and trailer. Had to start the Jeep to prove it was operable. No inspection and no migration anywhere in sight. I did not have to produce any personal ID etc.
I have temporary tag on the new pickup and the guy verified that the temp sticker had not expired.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.