Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Highway 5, north of Laguna Chapala
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 04:14 PM
Highway 5, north of Laguna Chapala

Since there is this constant chatter on Nomad asking about dirt Highway 5's condition, I shot a video so everyone could get a look. I removed or fast-forwarded the tedious or irrelevant sections, but focused more on the new alignment construction. 15 minutes of your life that you will never get back. Map geeks, I'm talking to you David K, will get a kick out of the data overlay.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 04:40 PM
Quick

Certainly the quickest I've been through that dirt section. Pretty well sums it up!

John
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 04:48 PM

Nice video.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 04:54 PM

Thanks --last time i went that way was 75 and it took 3 days:biggrin::o
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 05:15 PM

That was great Jim...
I like the drama at the Coco Corner signs! LOL
23.1 unpaved miles... right on!
Unchanged for, what has it been, 3 years now?
This will help those who want to take their motorhomes over it to judge... also what a military checkpoint (Gonzaga) looks like!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 05:23 PM

that was GREAT!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 05:29 PM

Thanks guys - glad you like it. But I doubt it will reduce the number of posts asking: "Can I take my 60' bus towing a 35' yacht?"

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 05:29 PM

excellent. i'm thinking you bought the "good" shocks.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
excellent. i'm thinking you bought the "good" shocks.

Yes aftermarket reservoired shocks and different leafs. Also, carrying 340 pounds of tires (two) plus gear helps smooth the ride.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Map geeks, I'm talking to you David K, will get a kick out of the data overlay.

cool gps overlay on the video. what brand/model camera/software gives you the video merged with GPS data?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 08:42 AM

VERY nice video, Stuck! Sensible driving.

Which camera did you use so that it gave you all that telemetry in the upper right corner?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 10:14 AM

Gee, it looks the same as it did about three hours earlier that day when I drove it. The overlay was cool, I was consistently about half your speed in a 1-ton pickup with stock suspension. It did look like the northern end was getting close to pavement ready.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Which camera did you use so that it gave you all that telemetry in the upper right corner?

I was shooting with my new Garmin Virb XE - you can overlay all sorts of data, e.g. your car's OBD info, heart rate monitor (if you're a jogger), G-forces, etc. It will even display your hangtime - not applicable here. I especially like the image stabilization - you can see that in the video when the camera moves a little different than the truck.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 11:09 AM

A week earlier on the same road ...

A mile south of Coco’s Corner we were able to help Randy Wilson who had rolled at a particularly sneaky curve. Both occupants were out of the truck and OK. The 1993 Ford Ranger was racing in the Prerunner Truck class, and finished first in class at the checkers. As we were leaving, I said to the driver “Be safe out there.” He replied with “It’s a little late for that advise.”

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 11:47 AM

The video was really cool, thanks.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 12:50 PM

Nice. My 13yo drove my truck on that stretch all the way to CoCo's two weeks ago.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 03:14 PM

Cool!

You'll be his hero for the rest of his teenage years. I did the same with mine, but he had troubles with driving a stick. He could not get coordinated on shifting gears until he went into the Navy and drove several vehicles.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Nice. My 13yo drove my truck on that stretch all the way to CoCo's two weeks ago.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 03:27 PM

Cool!

You'll be his hero for the rest of his teenage years. I did the same with mine, but he had troubles with driving a stick. He could not get coordinated on shifting gears until he went into the Navy and drove several vehicles.

My then 14 drove a stick for the first time last summer from San Evaristo (just pass the sketchy mountain part) all the way to the end of the dirt road near La Paz. Pretty much got it right away, but he rides dirt bikes. He drives all over Baja now at age 15 (almost 16). Drove us from Gonzaga to San Felipe two weeks ago.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 03:52 PM

Super JZ!
I also taught my kids how to drive in Baja and the desert of California. It began with them sitting on my lap until they could reach the pedals. While my Tacoma was an automatic, they both had no problem with a clutch after they turned 16. That was how my dad taught me in Baja and elsewhere.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Cool!

My then 14 drove a stick for the first time last summer from San Evaristo (just pass the sketchy mountain part) all the way to the end of the dirt road near La Paz. Pretty much got it right away, but he rides dirt bikes. He drives all over Baja now at age 15 (almost 16). Drove us from Gonzaga to San Felipe two weeks ago.

LOL, I learned to drive at 12, taught by my 13 year old friend. At that age we went far in trucks on our own. Things are different living in the boonies where pre-teen kids can roam 20+ miles from home on their own in a truck and never see another car. At that age and place, all kids got themselves around and were smart about it.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by mtgoat666]
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.