chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 04:02 AM

The "Scaramucci Hiway"?

surfinggrandpa71
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 04:27 AM

I truly would of figured some sort of " grand opening " with some politician living within 50 miles of the road , cutting a ribbon ceremony, on in the local papers calming it was his/her great leadership that completed the road.......Im still claiming " fake news"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  
I truly would of figured some sort of " grand opening " with some politician living within 50 miles of the road , cutting a ribbon ceremony, on in the local papers calming it was his/her great leadership that completed the road.......Im still claiming " fake news"

I can guarantee you have it right.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 06:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  
this might be the rumor of the month,,,,,,,,,,5 miles of dirt ??? Not 23, I figured this would be front page news,,,,,,,,this must be " fake news"

Ask the Nomad who posted it:
Quote: Originally posted by baja Steve  
heard yesterday that more road was open and about 5 miles of dirt left. Anyone else anything.

I will measure the dirt section very soon and report here when I have Internet again.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gator
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 07:28 AM

Drove the road on Sunday. Still the same 23 miles of dirt.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gator  
Drove the road on Sunday. Still the same 23 miles of dirt.

looks like we will have to wait for the "measurement".
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 03:32 PM

I went across it a couple of weeks ago and just talked to someone who crossed today. definitely, 23 miles left although some people are driving around the barricades and topes to cut ff a couple of miles. Nothing changed...but a lot of work going on. Guess we do not have to wait for the official Nomad measurement.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I went across it a couple of weeks ago and just talked to someone who crossed today. definitely, 23 miles left although some people are driving around the barricades and topes to cut ff a couple of miles. Nothing changed...but a lot of work going on. Guess we do not have to wait for the official Nomad measurement.

yeah but just wait as the excitement builds to a crescendo when you see the "NEW" photo's! :yes:

for those that can or figured out how to load fotos... maybe others will. for Now we will have to rely on the official fotos.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 03:47 PM

Just talked to the nomad that said he was on 5 miles of dirt road. He did go around several barriers where the road is paved but not open.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 04:36 PM

On my way south last November, I drove a few miles of new, graded highway that was not paved yet. When I got to the end, it was a bit difficult getting back on to where I was supposed to be driving.

I did not intend to be in the construction zone, but whatya you gonna do when the flagman isn't there?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
On my way south last November, I drove a few miles of new, graded highway that was not paved yet. When I got to the end, it was a bit difficult getting back on to where I was supposed to be driving.

I did not intend to be in the construction zone, but whatya you gonna do when the flagman isn't there?

It is/was rather obvious that it is/was blocked. even today. more so last November.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 06:02 AM

That last leg before highway 1 has been sitting there for a very long time. It ends at the top of a hill. The hold up is a bridge in the south side of the hill. Turns out there are several cut off roads the can be used if you explore that incomplete section. The cutoffs are easy drives and get you back to the traditional crappy road to get to Hwy 1.

Last time I drove to Hwy 1 from SF I did take many segments of the construction roads. It was pretty dicey due to heavy construction trucks. At that time the paving was not done, but the road base was 90% completed on those segments. I do not recommend doing what I did. I have gone past this area many times and have never seen any blockage or signs, however it was pretty obvious that I was not on the proper road.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
That last leg before highway 1 has been sitting there for a very long time. It ends at the top of a hill. The hold up is a bridge in the south side of the hill. Turns out there are several cut off roads the can be used if you explore that incomplete section. The cutoffs are easy drives and get you back to the traditional crappy road to get to Hwy 1.

Last time I drove to Hwy 1 from SF I did take many segments of the construction roads. It was pretty dicey due to heavy construction trucks. At that time the paving was not done, but the road base was 90% completed on those segments. I do not recommend doing what I did. I have gone past this area many times and have never seen any blockage or signs, however it was pretty obvious that I was not on the proper road.

It is still road base and getting worse all the time because of the people driving on it....it is rather obvious it is not the proper road.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 01:29 PM

I found a semi-recent sat photo of the end of pavement south of Gonzaga. Today, south of the pavement end, there is a long bridge spanning the arroyo.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 02:11 PM

Today, Aug. 2, 2017. NO CHANGE in the paved vs. dirt part. Still 23 unpaved miles.
Have a nice day!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 02:28 PM

those are some duro hombres for sure....but can you imagine laying asphalt in august! :(
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 03:48 PM

There were no crews working north of Las Arrastras and very few working in the canyon and nothing happening or changed across the Chapala valley.

There is only about 2 miles of pavement south of the detour then just the base material, which they could pave, but have not.

The Coco bypass seems ready to pave also but entering the canyon and through the canyon still is far far from being ready.

They are still trying to reduce one entire peak to road grade level, and they are only 1/4 down from where they began years ago now.

The 23 miles was again mostly rough, so motorhomes and trailers not recommended.
If you are lucky, they may do a scrape and fill before you drive it?

Many pot holes south of Chapala were fixed. Still, the few miles just north of the L.A. Bay junction are very very bad.

A crew was filling holes north of the Santa Rosalillita junction, yesterday.

Be well!

[Edited on 8-3-2017 by David K]

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 03:06 PM

I for one thank you David for your updates:biggrin:
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 03:42 PM
Bridges

Please be cautious when driving the unopened sections of Hwy. 5. In the late 1970's I40 between Kingman Az. and Seligman had been setting with no asphalt, but with bladed road base in place. The road base was tapered up to the concrete bridges during construction and all of us locals used the unopened road as it saved 28 miles. I discovered they had squared off the road base for the blacktop at about 4am in an old F700 Ford, I still have a few kinks in my neck from hitting the roof. Just saying things can chancge everyday.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 03:45 PM

El gusto es mio, amigo.

I like recording travel details and if others enjoy them too, why not share? I drew my first Baja map when I was 9 or 10 (1967, glad I dated it) and my first published road guide when I was 15 (1973). So, I guess I was born to do this stuff! I have my parents to thank for infecting me with 'Baja Fever' and it sure directed my life!

My dad introduced me to Baja authors Ray Cannon, Howard Gulick, Tom Miller, and we just missed meeting Erle Stanley Gardner when we went to his Temecula ranch... he had just left to Baja, his wife (or future wife) told us. She was his secretary for years and was in his books. I recall reading they married shortly before his death, which (I think) was in 1970?

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.