Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hi All-Ready to head out
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 10:35 AM
Hi All-Ready to head out

Hi folks,

Thank you for all your insight. I wish I understood U2U, but I really don't.
Blanca mentioned a good place to stay in San Quentin, I think. Is Shari there? I am worried about a stretch that I have to be careful about running out of gas. My darn map is still on back order so I am using the best I can. I need a safe first night to stay after crossing to Mexico from the San Diego border.
I have passport, ID Mexican auto insurance, Travelers insurance, copy of car registration. am I missing something?

I know I have to get my FMM after I cross the boarder. Does anyone know what to look for? Also, I will need to get pesos as soon as I cross. Can I do that within a mile after crossing? should I buy a few pesos before going?

Because I am such a computer idiot, I do not always see the replies. My traveling email is m_hare@yahoo.com
Any help with first night accommodations, gas and other concerns I have will be greatly appreciated. Would love to meet people on the way to, and in Mulege.

Dianne
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 10:53 AM

Dmer, You'll be fine, take a deep breath and remember your going to Baja.The Costco in Chula vista is a great place to get Pesos. Here is a map:
Google Map: Costco Chula Vista
Go in by the customer service and go to the bank, they can take care of your Pesos. You'll be able to use your ATM at most banks to get Pesos too.

FMM place is on the right a when you enter into to Mexico. Pull into the far right side as you cross.

Go to Jardines in S Q for your first night. Drive to S Q and follow the signs, you'll turn right just pass the Army base, you'll turn left at the sign with their name on it. You can't miss the place on the right
Fill up in S Q or El Rosario, You'll be fine

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 10:58 AM

My recommendations are;
If you have time, stop and get some pesos before you cross so you will have peace of mind. You really don't need them after you cross as there are plenty of bank ATM's along the way. Are you going to get pesos from ATMs as your main source? I recommend to do so.

Jardines is approx. 180 miles south of the border and is very doable for the first night. Very nice place to stay. They do fill up so I recommend making reservations. 616 165 8850 or http://www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com/
There is a good and safe place to eat and drink next store.
--------------------------------------------------
Gas and purified water is everywhere, use pesos to pay as it is less hassle. ABSOLUTELY FILL UP YOUR GAS TANK, EVEN IF IT WILL TAKE A LITTLE BIT, AT THE PEMEX STATION ON THE LEFT AS YOU ENTER EL ROSARIO. It's a long stretch after that but you will be OK if you fill up there. It's approx. 20 or so miles south or Jardines.

Have fun and stop and smell the roses along the way and no hurry, no worry!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 11:00 AM

MMc's recommendation to get pesos is an excellent idea.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dmer  
Hi folks,

Thank you for all your insight. I wish I understood U2U, but I really don't.
Blanca mentioned a good place to stay in San Quentin, I think. Is Shari there? I am worried about a stretch that I have to be careful about running out of gas. My darn map is still on back order so I am using the best I can. I need a safe first night to stay after crossing to Mexico from the San Diego border.
I have passport, ID Mexican auto insurance, Travelers insurance, copy of car registration. am I missing something?

I know I have to get my FMM after I cross the boarder. Does anyone know what to look for? Also, I will need to get pesos as soon as I cross. Can I do that within a mile after crossing? should I buy a few pesos before going?

Because I am such a computer idiot, I do not always see the replies. My traveling email is m_hare@yahoo.com
Any help with first night accommodations, gas and other concerns I have will be greatly appreciated. Would love to meet people on the way to, and in Mulege.

Dianne

1) U2U is a personal message system here on Nomad... See it (in blue text) at the upper right corner of the page. If someone here sends one to you, it will be noted in that corner, just click on it. If you want to message anyone, just click the little box that says u2u next to that Nomads's post.

2) Shari is in Bahia Asuncion, 600 miles south. She runs the La Bufadora Inn. In San Quintin, many like Baja-Jardines motel, Km. 1.5 just south of where the highway narrows (Km. 0) and the side paved road to Molino Viejo motel/restaurant... which also has a road to Jardines connecting.

Next to the highway, no miles of side road driving is the excellent Baja Cactus Motel run by a Baja Nomad member Antonio ('BajaCactus'). It is just 30 minutes south of San Quintin (Km. 57), in El Rosario. It also is next door the final gas station for topping off your tank before the 'dry stretch' of 200 miles.

3) FMM is obtained in the first building inside Mexico, the office is called INM. Park as soon as you can, it depends on which border you use, but there is someplace just before or just after the gate arms letting you into Mexico. Bring your passport and a pen.

4) You may use dollars anywhere in Baja, have a little calculator... but many find pesos just easier to not be confused over. Get your pesos BEFORE crossing the border at a money exchange house. It was 17.80 pesos per dollar a couple weeks ago. No risk of a bank machine eating your card in Mexico and screwing your trip. Bring cash!

Relax! Even in the dry areas without Pemex stations, people sell gasoline from cans at a fair markup for their enterprise.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 11:06 AM

I have not crossed at San Diego going south for a few years, so I can't help with what to look for. I do recommend that you get some pesos before you cross, you will have enough other things to distract you that finding a cambio in TJ shouldn't be one of them.

I am able to get pesos at my local Wells Fargo before I hit the road. The exchange rate may not be the best, but it is fair, and simplifies my journey.

Be sure to notify your credit or debit card issuers that you are going south of the border, or they could be blocked at a very inconvenient time for you.

Have a great trip!

Edit; Wow, three people responded to your post while I was pecking out mine! Please check back and let us know what was helpful for you, and what else you find along the way.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 11:20 AM

After crossing into Tijuana stay to the right ,Mex 1 and avoid going into downtown.
The road goes along the boarder going West.
Take the toll road to Ensenada. Will NEED Pesos.

Personally I would stop overnight in Ensenada. Stay at Hotel Santo Thomas,
inexpensive and in the heart of Ensenada . Also on the road coming into town , left side big sign, can't miss it.
Ensenada is very walkable with good restaurants and bars. Shopping to, just not for me.

If'n you have plenty of tim , a side trip the the Valle de Guatalupe for wine tasting and great rrestaurants are a don't miss.
.Also on the way I would stop and have lunch at one of the many fine restaurants along the way. In Rosarito and South. Just Tripadvisor the location and take your pick.
I prefer NOT being rushed and only drive four hours max per day if possible.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by Paco Facullo]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dmer  

Here are good FMM instructions if you're crossing at Tijuana.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/chaparralimmigratio...

There is an ATM machine there so you can get your FMM and pesos in one stop. Most if not all ATM machines have instructions in English. ATMs will give the most accurate exchange rate.

Phone your bank before you go and tell them you'll be using the ATM card in Mex.

I use 100 pesos = $5.50 dollars to do quick ballpark conversions in my head. Keeping a small calculator handy is a good idea.

Also, like Paco said above, keep to the far right as you leave the border crossing and you're on your way!

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by SFandH]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 12:20 PM

As you enter Mexico, stay on the far right declare lane so as to park right on the other side to get your FMM.

if you want to take your time, do the overnight in Ensenada. That way you can say you been there and done that.

after that, you are looking for the toll road or CUOTA signs. Beautiful road that starts out going uphill by a huge border fence and then becomes a lovely coastal route where the toll booths are. You can pay in pesos or dollars, but not a mix of the two. and any change comes in pesos.

davids suggestion of el Rosario BAJA CACTUS is a great idea! right on the highway and ask for the newer rooms, perhaps one in the back so you don't hear the trucks at night. Fill up on gas and you are good to go!

Stash your cash in different places. and at the military stops, keep your purse with you at all times and keep your eyes on the guys going thru your car AT ALL TIMES. Leave no camera or wallet or ipad in full view. Most times with us ladies, they just wave us through.

Most of all, don't worry, there are so many people traveling south that it is likely you will meet someone as you are getting your FMM!

Have a safe trip and my phone # for any issues

615 156-0056 home 615 107-2400 Blanca (husband is Les)

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 12:54 PM

This may help in getting your FMM.

Follow the red line to the area to park. Follow the blue line and go inside the bldg and walk to the area between buildings. The office is to your left. Fill out the paper work then go back inside the building to pay at the bank. There are two banks one on your left as you came into the building and one on your right as you went out near the FMM office. I'm not sure if you can pay at either as I've only used the one where you come in on the left. Anyway pay then go back to the office and get it stamped and signed.

Follow the yellow line to the toll road. Remember to stay right when you leave the entry gates.

A closer look.

[Edited on 6-14-2017 by TMW]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 01:12 PM

TW, are there special crossing gates for those who park on the north side of the building (as your yellow line indicates in the lower image) so you don't have to merge into the normal flow of traffic to get past the gates?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 02:20 PM

No you have to merge back into a crossing lane. The couple of times I've done it other cars were letting me in, no problem.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 03:30 PM

excellent pictorial... that's exactly what you need to do. BTW the customs people are very helpful to stop traffic and point out where you can park, etc. , even if you are in secondary... they are easy to work with. just young kids, and most are very cute ..... :P

Alan from SD
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 06:33 PM

I see a lot of suggestions to buy pesos NOB, having not been down in 4 years is your card getting eaten really a major problem? I mainly like to buy gas with pesos......the rest I usually use $. Don't really want to carry that much cash

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 06:42 PM

I sent you an email! Make sure it doesn't go to junkmail

Blanca

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by acadist  
I see a lot of suggestions to buy pesos NOB, having not been down in 4 years is your card getting eaten really a major problem? I mainly like to buy gas with pesos......the rest I usually use $. Don't really want to carry that much cash

Acadist, Like you, I don't want to carry much cash, I use plastic where I can, and ATMs as needed. Since I vary my route on the way south to check out roads and places in the US, I am never certain where and when I will cross the border. For my convenience, I want to have enough pesos on hand to get by for a couple of days.

I have not had any ATMs 'eat my card', but last November I had trouble with Bancomer in Mulege, and Loreto refusing to dispense Pesos! Neither would the banks exchange the greenbacks that I carried as back up!

As a side note, there are now Pemex stations that you can use your plastic for gasoline. I only use it where I can watch them run the card through the reader.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 07:52 PM
Pesos and FMM

You can get your first load of pesos at the ATM in the lobby of the building where you obtain your FMM at the San Ysidro crossing
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 12:42 AM

Thanks, Meandro was always my first peso stop but I may consider changing my routine

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the good information. I am so happy I found this board. It has been a great help.

Marty..I have 15 gallons of water in my car. Can I drop any off to you along the way?

Cheers,

Dianne
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 07:08 PM

Nope, you have to merge

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
TW, are there special crossing gates for those who park on the north side of the building (as your yellow line indicates in the lower image) so you don't have to merge into the normal flow of traffic to get past the gates?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.