Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hi All-Ready to head out
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-20-2017 at 07:56 AM

always get more pesos
than you need in Baja Norte as bank machines can be fussy down here in the south!

hope to see ya soon....have fun and make sure your air conditioner works....although here in Asuncion I am STILL sleeping under my down blanket....ahhhhh

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2017 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Nope, you have to merge

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
TW, are there special crossing gates for those who park on the north side of the building (as your yellow line indicates in the lower image) so you don't have to merge into the normal flow of traffic to get past the gates?

Thank you Terry, TW said the same as well right after I asked. I rarely cross at Tijuana so it was my first since the new Mexican border was opened. It is a helpful note for others to avoid the far left lanes as (on that day), the left lane merged with the next, greatly slowing those two left lanes compared to the other 3+ lanes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 02:47 PM

"San Quentin, I think. Is Shari there? "

No.

" I am worried about a stretch that I have to be careful about running out of gas. My darn map is still on back order so I am using the best I can. "

All you need to know is the distance from A to B and your car efficiency in MPG. There is only one highway. Googlemaps.ca will tell you the distance, and, last time I checked, it didn't require any ordering.

" I need a safe first night to stay after crossing to Mexico from the San Diego border."

Again? Any hotel past Tijuana downtown (and most hotels in downtown as well) will be a safe place, and you won't even drive through downtown.

"I have passport, ID Mexican auto insurance, Travelers insurance, copy of car registration. am I missing something?"

Yes - a relaxation session, a visit to shrink or a SPA or anti-anxiety medications. All that a person would (normally) need for Baja, in addition to usual car travel items, is passport, FMM, insurance and pesos.

"I know I have to get my FMM after I cross the boarder. Does anyone know what to look for? "

Others already answered. Big blue building near the gates.

"Also, I will need to get pesos as soon as I cross. Can I do that within a mile after crossing? should I buy a few pesos before going? "

1) No. People with much less paranoia still find it more convenient and more relaxing to buy pesos BEFORE they cross.
2) No. Unless you deviate from the toll highway, there will be nothing for 70 miles. This is a highway.
3) Yes. Buy slightly more than think you need, about 10% extra (in your case get 20-30% extra). You can exchange it back into USD later.

"Any help with first night accommodations, gas and other concerns I have will be greatly appreciated. "

Going in circles again.

"Would love to meet people on the way to, and in Mulege."

Meeting people on the highway or during one-night hotel stay sounds odd to my ear. I am not sure you should drive that far from your home. Maybe get a on the plane to Loreto or Cabo and check into a hotel. This will still be Mexico and Baja.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 03:10 PM

:lol:...Alm's cuate Joe is still convinced she a dude!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 03:27 PM

It is a little late for pre-trip advice, she is on the road;

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86854&got...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It is a little late for pre-trip advice, she is on the road;

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86854&got...

The case of going from questions straight to doing, without thinking and processing the answers. I hope his/her condition doesn't affect the driving.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 02:32 PM

Git er dun!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.