Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Just returned from the Cortez
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
I didn't see much debating.

Sonora Wind, that is an interesting observation, of not seeing the other hunters out there.

Damming the Colorado river really damned the Sea of Cortez. It will never be undone enough to make a significant impact (although the recent flows they've released were a nice idea), but it is the one thing that could revive it. At this point I wonder if releasing a bunch of water into the delta wouldn't just pollute the crap out of the upper Cortez.

I stopped eating shrimp because of the by-catch losses. Getting the fishermen to use the less damaging rolling shrimp nets would be great too. People that want to fund efforts should try to work on that among other things. I'll keep dreaming.

Amen times ten.
Daming the Colorado with the Damn Dams is only the first stage of the SOC's destruction. Since the 30's and then the 60's that dried everything up the amount of shrimping is the singular-most devastating harvesting there is. I've boycotted eating shrimp for years.... and the silly debate about shrimping vs. lobstering on this thread is laughable. It's comparing oranges to orangutans (pun intended). Lobsters are done in traps or with divers. Shrimping leads to a 10x1 destruction of life and a jettison of usable product over the side. It's a rampant rape of life in the harvest for one specific species. I think for the gluttony of the WORLD for shrimp it surpasses long-lining and 5-mile-long netting trawlers. Maybe yes, maybe no, I can't know. What I do know is, the SOC used to be one of the richest areas of bounty in the world. So much for that, eh?

Post script.... compared to the CT boundary extinction of 65 million years ago, we've accomplished in less than 100 years what it accomplished in less than 100 days possibly. However, comparing them to each other is again with oranges to orangutans (pun intended). Anyone who does to me is either misguided, am 'alternative news' nut, or both.

[Edited on 6-18-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I think it would be helpful if families would have less kids. Less mouths to feed.

This is one of solutions. However, stone-age mentality of 3rd world countries - mostly contributing to this population growth - is near impossible to overturn. There are plenty of radical pro-lifers in the western world (radical to the point that no measures of birth control should be used at all), who can't and wouldn't think outside the box either. So I guess talk is useless.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I think it would be helpful if families would have less kids. Less mouths to feed.

This is one of solutions. However, stone-age mentality of 3rd world countries - mostly contributing to this population growth - is near impossible to overturn. There are plenty of radical pro-lifers in the western world (radical to the point that no measures of birth control should be used at all), who can't and wouldn't think outside the box either. So I guess talk is useless.

It is not natural to not have kids. Nature gave us the means and the urge to make many. Therefore we should not use birth control. Besides, why should we have less children when all the third world countries breed incessantly.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 06:04 PM

I think it would be helpful if families would have less kids. Less mouths to feed. How many billion will it be before there is not enough food. Some are already starving.

Mexico's fertility rate, births per woman, has fallen from 6.8 in 1960 to 2.2 in 2015. The US is at 1.8.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

[Edited on 6-18-2017 by SFandH]
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
it is not natural to not have kids. Nature gave us the means and the urge to make many. Therefore we should not use birth control. Besides, why should we have less children when all the third world countries breed incessantly.

Seriously, it's Idiocracy, like the movie...
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 08:08 PM

The Duggars. America's Christian sharia law.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 08:34 AM

Today the human species has become akin to Locust and are ravaging and polluting it an alarming rate.

What the world NEEDS is an old fashioned pandemic to do away with about 90% of us.
That would give some time for mother earth to heal itself.

Humans ARE the most destructive species on earth, bar none.

Driven by the two worst human traits, GREED and EGO ......
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 08:44 AM

People think and hope that science wiill solve all the earths problems .

Good luck with that. Think Soylent green........
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Today the human species has become akin to Locust and are ravaging and polluting it an alarming rate.

What the world NEEDS is an old fashioned pandemic to do away with about 90% of us.

Perhaps, but what other ANIMAL species does so much to save other species as do humans to save the whales, the condors, the gnatcatcher, etc. etc. etc.. Which animal species OTHER THAN humans have hospitals and care centers for their fellow animals? Sure there are bad humans, but there are far more good ones... they just don't make the evening news as much!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Perhaps, but what other ANIMAL species does so much to save other species as do humans to save the whales, the condors, the gnatcatcher, etc. etc. etc.. Which animal species OTHER THAN humans have hospitals and care centers for their fellow animals? Sure there are bad humans, but there are far more good ones... they just don't make the evening news as much!

Now this makes a lot of sense. Great argument for mankind.:lol:
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 11:19 AM

Damn whales - why don't they set up their own whale hospitals? Sad. Guess they're not so smart after all. Freeloaders.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 12:12 PM

Most humans are greedy or thoughtless. A minority is altruistic.
Half of all humans have sub-average intelligence - unfortunately these sub-average are allowed to hold public office and vote, witness the present trump administration debacle.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 01:08 PM

David,
Is that what you really think?

As your boy says....."sad" ....

Your comment "there are far more good ones... they just don't make the evening news as much!" is rather ironic :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

David,
Is that what you really think?

As your boy says....."sad" ....

Your comment "there are far more good ones... they just don't make the evening news as much!" is rather ironic :lol:

Can't wait to see the gnatcatcher hospital. The whole statement is one for the ages.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 01:16 PM

Perhaps, but what other ANIMAL species does so much to save other species as do humans to save the whales, the condors, the gnatcatcher, etc. etc. etc..

This is NOT a valid argument!

The only reason we have to put effort into saving these endangered species is because WE have F'ed them up in the first place. In nature void of humans, there is a natural balance of prey and predator. When the prey diminishes, the predators move on and the natural balance returns. Humans just rape and rape and when a resource is almost gone, we try and make amens to save what's left, mostly with little success.

In the natural world, again devoid of humans, rarely will a species decimate the environment to extinction so as they themselves are done.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
In the natural world, again devoid of humans, rarely will a species decimate the environment to extinction so as they themselves are done.

And certainly not over the course of only a few generations.

Everything is well set in it's way, so I just try to respect nature and enjoy what I can while I can. Some people's opinions are so over the top I can't take them seriously, and I can't believe some people seem to. I do have a sense of humor though, so I do appreciate the laughter from some of the earlier posts. It does help keep the site active.
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 01:43 PM

Most humans are greedy or thoughtless. A minority is altruistic.
Half of all humans have sub-average intelligence - unfortunately these sub-average are allowed to hold public office and vote, witness the present trump administration debacle.
[/rquote]

So where do you stand? Sub average, average, or above average? Wait, don't answer that you may embarrass yourself...lol
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.