Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Baja California Almanac
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajavanadu  
Probably not to cool but could someone scan a version for pdf? I loaned mine out to a baja newbie and it's long gone. I emailed the website for the almanac but received no response, I would happily pay a premium for a pdf copy?

=== =
Here is a little knowlwdge on your suggestion
The 2003 version is scanner friendly due to the 8.5x11 format. It is 126 pages. So even making PDF of the book would be a big chore. Of course you can always print David K's various screen shots he uses to document his travels.
As an easier alternative download your own PDFs from the actual source.
The base maps are free from INEGI.org. The Almanac creator adds little detail then publishes the result. For a complete set of maps there are 55 files to duplicate the Almanac.
The INEGI maps are in PDF format. But to make a collection of the PDFs for a complete version of the Almanac would take a while. However it is pretty easy to grab a small map of the area of your interest. The INEGI maps and consequently the Almanac maps are mid 1960s data for the most part, but some areas have been updated a few years.
I have been known to go to a copy shop and have these INEGI maps printed in "C" size color format and these maps are very useful and much better than the Almanac's small format. But not inexpensive. It would be a lot less costly to buy a pristine EBAy version of the Almanac for around $200 or even more.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 08:27 AM

A Nomad mailed me a dvd of the entire 2003 Baja Almanac scanned.
They are not edited (ie. cropped, straightened, enhanced) but it would save the work of scanning each page. As noted above, I have scanned many of the pages to be visual aids for trip reports here with arrows, names or mileages added on. For example, here is one to point out where El Requeson is located...

Or this one, zoomed in, to show El Chorro, near where the hot springs near Santiago are located...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 09:02 AM

For a GPS version using Garmin Map Source on your computer a link from this web page,

http://www.calycanto.com/maps/gps-map-of-baja/

exists but at the time of writing the link to the vendor is interrupted.

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 09:57 AM

From paper map to GPS unit:bounce:

Located a Rhino 650 for sale locally.

Will purchase Map E32.

Back roads, trails and remote areas.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  
For a GPS version using Garmin Map Source on your computer a link from this web page,

Here you go: http://www.lbmaps.com/GPSMaps/Navigator.htm

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Here you go: http://www.lbmaps.com/GPSMaps/Navigator.htm

Thanks for the link!

Purchased two Garmin Rhino 650 GPS Units with Alberta back road maps loaded on one. $200. Took one out for a test drive leaving a $100 deposit. Twenty K away and home base, the second unit, showing where it lays. Three year old units, receipt as proof. My Gut instructs the brain to purchase. Not stolen goods and in good condition. Battery only drops to 98% while out and about for two hours.
Great item for camp when I'm on the oil lease roads and returning at night.

New toys. Can't figure out how to clear the trip computer.. Pull the battery??

Detail detail much like location location. The Gut is feeling better about Map E32.

Will sleep on it and feel for the right decision in the morning.

Thanks!!

:saint:

Sometimes

Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 07:02 AM

A Nomad mailed me a dvd of the entire 2003 Baja Almanac scanned.
They are not edited (ie. cropped, straightened, enhanced) but it would save the work of scanning each page. As noted above, I have scanned many of the pages to be visual aids for trip reports here with arrows, names or mileages added on. For example, here is one to point out where El Requeson is located...

Or this one, zoomed in, to show El Chorro, near where the hot springs near Santiago are located...

Would you consider putting the files in the cloud for download?

[Edited on 6-21-2017 by Bajavanadu]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 08:00 AM

Isn't there a copyright on those map books? If so copying and distributing would be against the law.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Isn't there a copyright on those map books? If so copying and distributing would be against the law.

Yes, copying and then selling his books without him included would be.

Pretty much everything printed for sale has the copyright symbol to protect intellectual property and sales. We are crediting the source as being Landon Crumpton's Baja California Almanac. If his books were still published, this would be like free advertising. Only a few maps shared or parts of those maps, not the whole book.

Nomad is a privately owned forum, one must register to be on, where Baja-loving people help other Baja people and in doing so help the people of Baja. Maps are displayed only for educational purposes.

If these 14 and 8-year-old Almanac maps are no longer published/ printed, and no longer available for sale (at normal distributor prices) and the publisher and author is no longer in business or alive. These scanned reproductions are not sold, so I am not sure who is being harmed.

On a personal note, once my 2016 book is out of print and the distributors have run out, I would be honored if it was shared in the future to keep on educating those with a quest for knowledge. Unlike road maps, the history it contains is set in time. We can only hope more facts might be discovered than what is known today!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 09:07 AM

Pretty much everything printed for sale has the copyright symbol to protect intellectual property and sales. We are crediting the source as being Landon Crumpton's Baja California Almanac. If his books were still published, this would be like free advertising. Only a few maps shared or parts of those maps, not the whole book.

Nomad is a privately owned forum, one must register to be on, where Baja-loving people help other Baja people and in doing so help the people of Baja. Maps are displayed only for educational purposes.

If these 14 and 8-year-old Almanac maps are no longer published/ printed, and no longer available for sale (at normal distributor prices) and the publisher and author is no longer in business or alive. These scanned reproductions are not sold, so I am not sure who is being harmed.

On a personal note, once my 2016 book is out of print and the distributors have run out, I would be honored if it was shared in the future to keep on educating those with a quest for knowledge. Unlike road maps, the history it contains is set in time. We can only hope more facts might be discovered than what is known today!

that is a mistaken but groovy-feeling misunderstanding of copyright law,... but, hey, it's all about peace, love and fish tacos, so what me/us worry? :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 09:10 AM

Yep, groovy.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 09:38 AM

Regarding the images (not the published book) used by the Almanac. The images are owned by INEGI and they offer them up as a free download. So far the only format I have discovered is a picture format (TIF). Further I cannot locate the key for these color enhanced files which sure does not help those of us would like a computer version of them. I gave up the search for that key. Maybe someone can take over the search?
Paul
==============

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2017 at 08:46 AM

So I began asking about maps!

Thanks for the replies and further comments. Stayed on subject.

Then I purchased two, slightly used only on Sundays, R650 GPS Units.

Next day an email arrives offering the LAST 2009 Baja Almanc.

Purchased the Almanac.

Impressed with the GPS units the Mexico E32 map is purchased.

Baja is getting expensive and I'm not even on route!

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2017 at 09:34 AM

Any investment in support of a trip to Baja is a good investment!

Bruce
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2017 at 09:51 AM

Purchased the Almanac.

Wait till you get down there and purchase gas, meals and hotel rooms, then it will get expensive and don't forget the souvenirs for your loved ones.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2017 at 04:26 PM

One on eBay now for $59 " buy it now"
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-26-2017 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mcnut  
Any investment in support of a trip to Baja is a good investment!

Bruce

I'm going to use that line if you don't mind. Thanks
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2017 at 07:54 AM

Mine is laminated and bound.....maybe I can sell for $400 in a few years?

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2017 at 09:18 AM

Laminated and bound. Great Idea!

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 04:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Purchased the Almanac.

Wait till you get down there and purchase gas, meals and hotel rooms, then it will get expensive and don't forget the souvenirs for your loved ones.

Maps and GPS are part of the "Doing Business". GPS will be handy in the back roads of Alberta.
The gas, meals and occasional hotel rooms are part of the "Living" equation. Experienced that over the past 35 years roaming the planet. In 1986, downtown Manhattan I almost fell out of the vehicle when asked to pay $20 for an hours parking. Cost of "Doing Business".

Now the souvenirs. Yes they are expensive and the smaller the greater the cost, possibly.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.