BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Importing a car
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 04:51 PM
Importing a car

Does anyone have first hand experience getting their vehicle imported from the U.S to get National plates?

Having a Residente Permnnente card I am unable to drive my "foreign plated" car to the mainland below Guaymas.

I would like to talk to a company that knows the up to date rules so I know what I should buy.

Anyone have a company they can recommend?

[Edited on 6-17-2017 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 05:16 PM

Not sure about your question. But if it's about buying a car to import, it should not be older then 8 years. I know lots of people that drive US or Canadian plated cars with their 'Permanente'. Scary stories on that subject, but you can try to bring it down yourself.
I im ported my car while it was already in Mexico. (after the facts)
You can read all about it in my book 'Living or Retiring in Mexico.' pages 137-157.
Look for it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8QMFAY

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 05:27 PM

Does your book give the names and contact numbers of importers?

I am not opposed to bending a few rules here or there but don't want to mess with this potential can of worms.

1: I want to drive and not worry about a damn thing
2: It's their law so I will try and abide by it.

Thank you,
Howard

George Bernard Shaw

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 07:00 PM

You might ask this guy..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/534958289989059/

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 09:58 AM

Howard,
We nationalized our truck 4 years ago when we became "residente permanents" because we travel with it to the mainland every year. We used an office located right next to the Banjercito office in Otay Mesa. In fact, the people at Banjercito recommended him.
His name is Luis Enrique Gonzalez, his company is Sanchez y Asociados. We exchanged many e-mails with him and were able to have almost all the paperwork done before we even got to Otay. We were only there a few hours. His e-mail is/was luisimporta@yahoo.com The phone number we have is 664-217-9131. Of course, this info is 4 years old and that's a long time down here for a business. He speaks some English and was very efficient and knowledgeable.
Good luck! And U2U me if you have any more questions. We're right here in Loreto.
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 10:49 AM

Thank you Bob and Jane! Will look into it this week and report back.

George Bernard Shaw

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.