Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Francisquito-El Arco-Hwy 1
rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 03:14 PM
San Francisquito-El Arco-Hwy 1

Hwy 1 near Vizcaino to El Arco to San Francisquito
We drove this road both ways in late May, 2017. It has been graded after the NORRA race damage and is again in excellent condition.
The "resort" at San Francisquito, is open again, but in terrible condition - junk and trash spread all over the area. Nice beach.
Better alternatives are Rancho Escondido (about 19 miles SW of Francisquito) and Rancho Piedra Blanca (15 miles NE of Pozo Aleman. Both offer room and board, but reservations are suggested.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 03:46 PM

too bad on the Francisquito condition. Have had many memorable experiences there in years long gone
Whats the word? Is there any ownership or anyone trying to keep it running? doesn't sound like it
Sad

Alan from SD
rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 04:02 PM

The new owner has a nice-looking house just south of the resort, but apparently is too ignorant or disinterested in cleaning it up. He has hired a young man to attend to the resort. As I said earlier, it is open, but I would not want to stay there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 04:18 PM

What I saw there this year, as well.
However, Rancho Escondido was closed last January and again a couple weeks ago. Their sign with all the boots is badly faded, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 07:14 PM

It is the typical Mexican conundrum. The place falls into bad shape so no one stays there and because no one stays there the owner will not put money into fixing it up and the cycle goes on and on.

I remember as many others do when the restaurant was good, margaritas great and the palapas were decent, fishing was more than good and people would fly and drive in. Gas was available for plane and car/truck. Now it's a piece of crap and they say no one comes anymore, I wonder why.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:56 AM

We stayed at Beto's place for a night in December. It was decent.

His brother helped get us out of the sand after my Mexican friend ran off the road looking at the gps.

[Edited on 6-22-2017 by JZ]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rockman  
The new owner has a nice-looking house just south of the resort, but apparently is too ignorant or disinterested in cleaning it up. He has hired a young man to attend to the resort. As I said earlier, it is open, but I would not want to stay there.

my neighbor who does own the northern half of san rafael has told me senor slim is the proud owner, who is the new owner you speak of?
rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 08:20 PM

No mention was made of a Senor Slim, but the young man managing the camp said the owner was a man named Lionel Peralta Arce, and his phone number is 615-107-6767.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
It is the typical Mexican conundrum. The place falls into bad shape so no one stays there and because no one stays there the owner will not put money into fixing it up and the cycle goes on and on.

Are you referring to Don Eddie's? The son has milked that cow so dry it just may blow away soon.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 11:11 AM

things change....owners pass away...managers move on...old places get run down...new places emerge...and get run down...money is tight, tourism down...it's evolution baja style.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 01:27 PM

Shari I don't disagree with what you say but I've also seen the decline in many places because of neglect. In the case of San Francisquito it has just got worse over the years. I'm told that Carlos Slim owns it as he has been buying property all along that coast. He has not put a dime into it for repairs from the 2014 hurricane/storm and he has the money to do whatever he wants.

Another place is the Serenidad hotel in Mulege. I know Johnson has had his problems with the Ejido etc but the places needs a face lift. My brothers and I stayed there several years ago and several months after the big flood in Mulege. We had to tighten the fuses wires in the electric box to keep the lights on. A simple task for a maintainence guy.

On the other had the tomato farm owner in San Quintin has purchased and remodeled the Desert Inn hotels in San Quintin and Catavina and gave them a new fresh look.

I can see a mom and pop business falling apart especially if one dies or the sons and daughter don't want to work it. I suspect Moma Espinoza's place in El Rosario may be going that way from what people have said about the food and that's too bad as I always liked eating there. But people like Antonio (Baja Cactus) will take up the slack with his new restaurant.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 02:06 PM

I wonder how much the absence of private aviation business has affected San Francisquto?

I understand that it used to be a popular fly in destination, and I wonder if it is still used for Beto's camp?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 03:03 PM

What Tom said.

When I surveyed the campos south of San Felipe (to Gonzaga), it was clear many have given up or hope the highway brings people to lease lots with no campground improvements to many... El Huerfanito, for example. That place (Nacho's) has been around since before I could drive and after when 4WD or an airplane was the only way to get there. Now, a paved 'superhighway' is in place and his one palapa is in sad shape and he wonders why nobody stops to pay $10 to camp on a not-so-clean beach. The others are asking $20 or more. A few are nice, but not a lot of selection like in the past.

Times have changed, the fishing trips and beach escape trips of the 60's and 70's are no more... or just far fewer going.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 06:17 PM

Rustic lodging, rudimentary services, dust, sun- and wind-burn, it's baja. Isn't that the Baja adventure y'all want?
You want 5-star hotel and a spa, you can go to Cabo!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Rustic lodging, rudimentary services, dust, sun- and wind-burn, it's baja. Isn't that the Baja adventure y'all want?
You want 5-star hotel and a spa, you can go to Cabo!

DITTO:cool::cool:
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 02:24 PM

Sounds like Carlos is doing the right thing. Buying the property is an investment. Throwing good money at bad repairs is not something the rich tend to do. Cisquito is best left to the people that can be self sufficient for a short stay at $5 a night. Kayaks, solar, 12volt and beer. orale.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2022 at 08:34 AM

This is a thread stared by 'rockman' who is the Norm Christie of the San Ignacito to Mission Santa MarĂ­a to Punta Final hike in discussion now (11-10-2022).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.