Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Greetings
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 06:39 AM
Greetings

Howdy,

I am thinking about leaving San Quintin tomorrow early am and driving straight through to Mulege, stopping for gas and a quick stretch only. Doable? Is anybody on this board in Mulege??

Cheers,
dianne
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 07:06 AM

Very doable, you'll be driving through some of my favorite parts of Baja, consider stopping if something strikes you. You don't seem to have a agenda so stop if you want. I would not miss seeing the town & mission of San Ignacio.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 07:25 AM

You will be doing about 435 miles/700 km.......if you are in a motorhome and if you are pulling a trailer, that is a pretty long stretch along a very narrow highway with tire wrecking potholes

You also have a 200 mile stretch between gas stations from El Rosario to Jesus Maria, although gas may be available from barrels between those two locations

[Edited on 6-22-2017 by bajaguy]
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 08:21 AM

That trip takes me about eight and a half hours. I drive at a top speed of 65 MPH.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 08:37 AM

I'm the resident slowpoke, usually averaging 45 mph because of stops here and there and top speed of 60 mph. So for me it's 10 hours.

Don't forget to fill 'er up (lleno "yayno" por favor) in San Quintin or El Rosario.
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:01 AM

I shamefully admit I got to San Quintin with a foot full of led. I am afraid of stopping because it will get dark and I don't drive safely in the dark. I want to get to Mulege before dark, hopefully find a place to rent, then explore.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:12 AM

For a first timer , or heck anyone thats not throughly familiar with Baja roads,
you should REALLY slow down !

It's for yours and anyone else on the roads safety.

Why in such a hurry ? Isn't your well deing worth taking a little more time getting there.
If not, you may never make it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:17 AM

Naturally, some of the most intersting sites are in this section. Is your plan to see them later or is Mulegé enough for you? The days are long so with an early start, getting to Mulegé is easy. Next time, don't rush. Have fun in Mulegé. For breakfast or lunch, go to Pancho Villa's for a Baja meal. It' on the north river road, almost to the end, up on a bluff with a river view.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:17 AM

those potholes coming up will slow you down! :o
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:30 AM
Slow your roll......

geography-travel-mexico-transport-transportation-streets-highway-1-b2hx1j.jpg - 81kB
dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:40 AM

Those signs were from 1973, when the highway was completed. The photo above is looking south just north of the eagle monument on the state border. Now trees and a military base is there with a giant flag, almost hides the 140 ft tall eagle. Non of those signs remain.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 09:45 AM

Still a good reminder. That sign image pops into my head every time I get on that road
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 02:59 PM

If it gets too hot over there, come on over to the cool side for a visit to Blanca and I!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 03:07 PM

Ooooooooooh Shari! (SIGH)

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 03:45 PM

You'll have 13 hours of daylight - don't get too tired driving.
While in Mulege - check the La Serinidad Hotel and see if they're still having the Sat. night pig roast. If so, don't miss it. Also check around to see who's leading a hike to the pictographs - Salvador Castro Drew was one - mulegetours. 16 miles to Conception Bay for the day. Have fun.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 04:06 PM

Serenidad ? likely n o pig roast in the summer..This deal seems a lil fishy She is gonna be there for a year so whats the big rush on everything? Mulege in the summer is unbearable>>>And empty

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 04:07 PM

go see shari! you will love her and asuncion!

too far to drive to mulege in one day kiddo -

I have sent you the name and number for a couple in mulege who can help u. they are wonderful

have fun

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Mulege in the summer is unbearable>>>And empty

I agree. Maybe there are some who don't mind tho. The OP, Dianne, said something in a post somewhere that indicated she is from San Francisco. Mark Twain allegedly said "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." Going from a SF summer to a Mulege summer would be painful.

Plus, you're right, 99% of the gringos go elsewhere for the summer.

I really like Mulege and would be there now, if not for the weather. I really dislike sleeping in a closed up AC bedroom and 80+ degrees at night makes for a lousy night's sleep.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 04:58 PM

dmer, I know it's been mentioned, but an added reminder: WATCH OUT for the stretch of road past Cataviña. The potholes are now filled with volkswagons, so wave to the people still in 'em and toss in a sammich or two.... seriously, it's a very bad and narrow stretch of how the TP-1 used to be most of the way down. Word to the wise; if the road changes color up ahead, slow the hell down. Don't plan on it being as good as anywhere you've already been, and also the Questo Del Infierno, the hill going down into Sta. Rosalia is to be taken very seriously and SLOWLY, m'dear. Be well, be happy, but be cautious. This section ain't fer sissies, as The Bette would say.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.