Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Trip to the Tip - Questions on Motels/Trip Ideas
Ateo
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-22-2017 at 10:50 AM
Trip to the Tip - Questions on Motels/Trip Ideas

Hello All.

My daughter and I will be driving from Oceanside to Cabo San Lucas next month. I pretty much have the entire trip planned from the border to scorpion bay but we're going to head south after that, ending up in Cabo San Lucas.

We will also be camping and have 4x4 so any off the main road stuff is welcomed.

My questions to you all are the following:

1. Any clean but cheap motels in Cabo? I haven't been to Cabo in over 20 years.
2. What's fun to do in Todos Santos?
3. Any must see things in Cabo besides Lands End?
4. Any other super fun things to see from C. Insurgentes south?
5. Any cheap but clean motels in Todos Santos?
6. Any other cheap but clean motels in that southerly portion that you my love?

My daughter is 15 and a veteran Baja explorer. She's down for whatever.

This is a section of Baja that I have spent limited time in so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 6-22-2017 by Ateo]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 11:05 AM

The Mission San Luis Gonzaga/ San Evaristo run is popular... I have no been yet.

I have been:

Mangos in San Bartolo and a super spring water public swimming pool, too.

Look for turtle nests with a beach walk north of Los Barriles.

San Pedrito, a tropical beach just south of Todos Santos.

The Bat Cave of Santiago.

Balandra Beach north of La Paz with the mushroom rock.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 11:16 AM

Casarancho.net has some cool cabanas in TS. Aleq is a real nice guy and can point you towards the best surf around town. We stayed during Hurricane Paul a few years ago and had a blast.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 11:50 AM

Mar de Cortez....cheapest good hotel in Cabo...pool, restaurant and bar,
Google it Jon....been going there for years....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 11:53 AM
Way to go Terry28!

I had just copied the same hotel website - we've stayed there, clean, restaurant, bar, a couple of short block walk to the beach..

http://www.mardecortez.com/

You beat me to it...

John M
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 12:11 PM

If you like caviche I recommend going to the Solmar hotel. It's on the west side of the tip. They have a covered open air restaurant. The shrimp caviche is the best I have ever had anywhere. That and your favorite drink while watching the cruise ships depart and the boats pull down the people hang glidging.

I second what David said about Mission San Luis Gonzaga and San Evaristo. Also coming back take the run from Constitucion to Agua Verde, beautiful country. Then up to Mission San Javier. From there you can go north thru the Comondus to La Purisima then north along the coast as you came down.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 12:41 PM

Try the East Cape Road for scenery, surf spots and fewer humans and golf courses. Also, you will get to see where they plan to install humans and golf courses in the future.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 12:49 PM

Here's a super scenic, remote road which I first drove a few years ago. There's a middle section which is paved and leaves the coast, but if you stay on the original old dirt road, you will always have a killer coast view.

Here's a photo sphere I shot along that road - the link may not work on phones but will definitely work on your desktop box.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 01:11 PM

Snorkeling with Whale Sharks in La Paz is a true bucket list item if they are in the bay. I have booked with the Cortez Club at the La Concha Hotel to set up my trips to see them as they run a good operation and are close to the grounds

In Memory of E-57
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Here's a super scenic, remote road which I first drove a few years ago. There's a middle section which is paved and leaves the coast, but if you stay on the original old dirt road, you will always have a killer coast view.

Here's a photo sphere I shot along that road - the link may not work on phones but will definitely work on your desktop box.

I drove that stretch in March. Very cool:cool: 4x4 needed.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 02:39 PM

You guys are all awesome. I really appreciate all of the recommendations. I have been monitoring this thread over the course of the day at home a lot of these recommendations will be realized.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 02:57 PM

Another fun off pavement drive is from Pocitas (south of CC) head out to the pacific and drive the coast to Todos. There are lots of remote beaches and surf.

[Edited on 6-23-2017 by chippy]

[Edited on 6-24-2017 by chippy]

[Edited on 6-24-2017 by chippy]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 07:55 PM

I think you should go snorkeling with your daughter in cabo pulmo.

just beautiful.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-22-2017 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

[

I drove that stretch in March. Very cool:cool: 4x4 needed.

I also drove that road in 2014, and again in mid Dec 2016. The flatter stretches are a cruise, but the mountain pass washed pretty badly since SS drove it.

At the base of the west side of the pass (if you are heading NW) you come back to pavement, and can head straight to La Paz, or right after Los Planes there is a paved road to the left back to Mex 1. The road to La Ventana is just a few more miles on the right.

It would be hard to make a bad choice, they are all fun trips!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 03:16 PM

You guys are awesome. Thanks for al the ideas! I just printed this entire thread and will highlight the must see stuff! Gracias amigos!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 03:20 PM

Jon, check your U2U - I sent some Punta Conejo stuff.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 03:31 PM

Back in 95 I drove my motorhome to Cabo and back never eating or staying in a Gringoized restaurant Or hotel .

In Cabo we stayed at the Vagabundos Del Mar trailer park about one mile out of town. Road our bikes to and fro.

Back then it was $10 a day
It was a cool park
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 03:31 PM

If you want to do an off road run the SCORE course from Santa Rita is fun with beautiful beaches. It turns off the paved road at KM10 out of Santa Rita. The beach at Guadalupe is really a beautiful site. If you drive out on it let a lot of air out. I had to go down to 10 psi on my GMC.

Murdock has the GPS and KML files if you need them.

http://www.murdocknav.com/mapsmex1.php

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you want to do an off road run the SCORE course from Santa Rita is fun with beautiful beaches.

I have spent many hours west of Santa Rita, waiting ... waiting ... for prerunners. Santa Rita is where the highway first turns, many miles south of Ciudad ConstituciĆ³n at km157.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2017 at 04:52 PM

It sounds like you want to get right to Todos Santos, but if you decide to make a stop in La Paz, Casa Buena is our "go to" place.

http://www.casabuena.net/home

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.