BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Picacho del Diablo hiking party missing/overdue [FOUND!]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
Why people hike in this weather when it is known to get over a 100 degrees is beyond me. Experienced or tourist, people need to realize especially a diabetic that a different time of year might be a better idea.

June is a great time on SPM, days are long, summer t-storms are still infrequent,... What makes you think the temp ever gets to 100 degrees at 8,000'+ elevation? I suspect the day time temp in past few weeks have been 85 or less. With today's cooling trend, probably 70s today.

Reference Bajatrailrider's post on this thread.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 09:22 PM

I still remember the Gary Patton thread and know how the heat can affect people, especially older individuals with chronic health problems. What are the SAR teams? It was too bad back when Gary got lost this was not available.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
DK, again it's not about you, as usual. Yet another thread with a happy ending turning into pubered quibbling. Now back to the regular scheduled programming. Sheesh.

You seem a bit cranky, Maybe you should get medicated again, As Usual.

Better yet, why don't You, Ralph, and Chuckie get a motel room together and self medicate.
We'll let DK suggest the motel:lol:

DK's banter with the Goat regarding tourist route vs other routes was just conjecture, You three marooons on the other hand had to take upon yourselves to make it a DK bash party.

Here's to hoping the Fox famly make it home safe and sound.

Dk needs frequent piñata treatment to keep his head from exploding from swelling ego, hot air and misinformation. :lol:

Thats funny coming from you Tom, Have you ever considered changing your username to Chipmunk666? Or just Alvin?

At least DK put up some maps, You the butinskie had your ass handed to you. Again.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 10:24 PM

Wotta thread........

Wotta great thread.......

WOTTA THREAD !

I LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS!!! :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-29-2017 at 05:34 AM

What a wonderful caring, thoughtful, sharing person DK is! We should all strive to be more like him!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2017 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
I still remember the Gary Patton thread and know how the heat can affect people, especially older individuals with chronic health problems. What are the SAR teams? It was too bad back when Gary got lost this was not available.

SAR is Search And Rescue teams. It was probably available back then but because no one knew for sure where Gary was they wouldn't know where to look except a very large area of Baja. By the time his car was found it had been several months and due to the circumstances it was more a police matter. In this case people knew where they were going and when to expect them back and when they were overdue help was asked for.

People did pass out flyers and ask about Gary over a large area from San Quintin to LA Bay.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-29-2017 at 02:17 PM

The drama on talk baja is quite entertaining, and the story is shaping up to have a happy ending. But based on the comments it seems like every arm chair savant thinks only young and experts should be allowed to venture out on a hike. I imagine most such critical comments come from people with little experience adventuring and BMIs over 30 :o
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2017 at 06:25 PM

Just got the news 6:15 PM Thursday:
The Fox family (father and 2 daughters arrived at the command post at Vallecitos SSPM. All in good health.
What a long epic rescue effort, deep in the most difficult terrain!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2017 at 10:19 PM

:cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-30-2017 at 08:28 AM

The drama on talk baja is quite entertaining, and the story is shaping up to have a happy ending. But based on the comments it seems like every arm chair savant thinks only young and experts should be allowed to venture out on a hike. I imagine most such critical comments come from people with little experience adventuring and BMIs over 30 :o

Yeah, great rescue, and everybody loves a happy ending, but at the same time, I was rolling my eyes at some of the comments especially at Facebook, like a couple here:

"Thank you to all involved in bringing back Morgan and the girls! We are so grateful!"

"I'm crying. Thank you for sharing"

I bet some of the comments are coming from people who didn't even know the 3 hikers, but hey they are white Americans, so lets over do the worry, the waiting, and the exhilaration when they are found. Meanwhile, Mexican nationals probably go missing in the same area from time to time, and we probably never hear about that.

They even coined a term for this phenomena, called the "Missing White Woman Syndrome" although the father's involvement probably put a damper on how popular this event could have been in the media.

Missing White Woman Syndrome

The term Missing White Woman Syndrome describes the fact that Western media will focus on the murder, kidnapping, or disappearance of Caucasian females—usually pretty, young, and middle- or upper-class—to the exclusion of male, minority, poor, or disabled missing persons.

Also meanwhile all the Mexicans rescuers coordinated agencies success response, barely gets a byline in the press and social media. ( I was watching the local TV news talk about this missing hiking story)

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-30-2017 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Yeah, great rescue, and everybody loves a happy ending, but at the same time, I was rolling my eyes at some of the comments especially at Facebook, like a couple here:

"Thank you to all involved in bringing back Morgan and the girls! We are so grateful!"

"I'm crying. Thank you for sharing"

I bet some of the comments are coming from people who didn't even know the 3 hikers, but hey they are white Americans, so lets over do the worry, the waiting, and the exhilaration when they are found. Meanwhile, Mexican nationals probably go missing in the same area from time to time, and we probably never hear about that.

They even coined a term for this phenomena, called the "Missing White Woman Syndrome" although the father's involvement probably put a damper on how popular this event could have been in the media.

Missing White Woman Syndrome

The term Missing White Woman Syndrome describes the fact that Western media will focus on the murder, kidnapping, or disappearance of Caucasian females—usually pretty, young, and middle- or upper-class—to the exclusion of male, minority, poor, or disabled missing persons.

Also meanwhile all the Mexicans rescuers coordinated agencies success response, barely gets a byline in the press and social media. ( I was watching the local TV news talk about this missing hiking story)

joey,
don't be a party-pooper and fart up the place! the only differences here were (1) THE LOST WERE FOUND ALIVE, AND (2) THE RESCUE DRAMA PLAYED OUT ON SOCIAL MEDIA in almost real-time. In the past these stories usually were not covered online in real-time, and the victims are usually found dead :(
i was surprised at the speed at which pics things were posted to FB. They must have had a sat internet link, or perhaps were running pics back to an internet cxn at the observatory.
I like how the govt posted pics frequently, nice touch, and probably a good way to get some good PR which never hurts :)

p.s. if you are jealous of missing white woman syndrome, just go out in drag and white-face and get lost! :lol::lol::lol: :P:P

[Edited on 6-30-2017 by mtgoat666]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2017 at 10:16 AM

Drag and whiteface is normal for Jay Ezadine Salman...

Desert Rat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 02:26 AM

The Fox family interview can be seen on Facebook. If you are interested in seeing it, go to the page for "Picacho del Diablo, B.C and scroll down until you see Rogelio Serrano's interview. Morgan and the girls go into detail as to how they lost the way.

[Edited on 7-13-2017 by Desert Rat]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 03:16 AM

Thanks...interesting...

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 07:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Desert Rat  
Morgan and the girls go into detail as to how they lost their way.

As anyone who has been up there knows, losing "the" way is as easy as following ducks in a row, just the wrong ones sometimes. They knew it, did the right thing and Baja SAR rocked it.

Good to know that the Baja SAR team for that area is so very competent.

Happy ending and a reminder of why one should consider buying or renting a Sat phone or Sat messaging device.

We never do anything stupid without one.:bounce:

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Untopped
10-28-2017 at 10:04 AM
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.