BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trailer tire pressure
lineman bill

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 06:25 AM
Trailer tire pressure

While traveling a road surface such as the 23 mile section on Hwy 5, what would the recomended tire pressure be on a single axle boat trailer? Tire size is 185/80/13. About 2500 lbs. total weight.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 06:31 AM

gee i wonder if anyone will comment??? ok, ok, i'll do it. i keep them inflated to a high enough pressure so the side walls are not flexing excessively to avoid heat buildup. if you are traveling at highway speeds, with a warm OAT and with significant weight onboard keep 'em pumped up. cheers
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 06:50 AM

Those tires are probably rated at 1300 lbs weight maximum at 50 psi??

Check the sidewall for the tire specs. Keep the pressure up to the MAX as your total weight is almost MAX on those trailer tires.

Hope you have two spares.

One?

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 07:18 AM

Tricky subject..I keep mine at MAX but have often wondered why the same rules don't apply to trailer tires on rough roads as do for cars/trucks? I do drive a lot slower, I think when pulling a trailer on rough stuff. I have done that Hiway 5 section 4 times with heavily loaded trailers max tire pressure....no tire problems, but busted some stuff inside the trailer..and broke a spring shackle mount..:?:

[Edited on 6-28-2017 by chuckie]

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 09:09 AM

Towing a trailer over rough terrain, steep/sharp inclines or visa versa, an articulating hitch is well worth the modification for towing a trailer. Max Coupler is a brand name that I use on the quad trailer to allow flexibility between trailer and truck.
Depending on the units either the trailer frame will distort(twisted out of shape at the tongue) or the towing vehicles hitch receiver will crack/split or worse break.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 09:10 AM

I just ran that dirt last saturday June 24th pulling a 24' travel trailer.
CAT scale loaded weight 5500#
Running 16" LT "E" rated tires.
Max pressure listed at 80#. I ran them at 70#
Heavy duty Mor-ryde wet bolt spring hangers.
Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch.

5 to 10 MpH the total length....any more and it was just awful rough.
Pantry door came open spilling dry goods out.
Moulding around one interior door came off.
Shower surround wheels came out of the bottom track.
I had the refer taped shut and crates down low on the floor.

I too was concerned about running max pressure over rough dirt roads.
One HAS to resist the urge to speed up......it's a killer on a trailer.

It's a gawd awful 22 miles and the part over the dry Laguna Chapala is terrible...grapefruit sized rocks littered the roadbed.

Once you think your home free and on MX 1.....one is faced with mine fields of BAD potholes south to LA Bay turnoff and beyond.
Worst I have seen in many years.
BajaSur must be doing something right with the Feds to keep that section in good shape.....whereas Baja Norte is in the toilet, road wise.

There was no machinery moving around the 22 miles and not a worker in sight.....
I was up north for 75 days and to me, it does not look like much progress has been made on that dirt road.
Took me a solid 12 hours from Yuma to G. Negro......holy crapola.

The temp gauge in the dash of my truck was 93 along the Gonzaga coast and within 2 miles away from there, it jumped to 110...dropping to 107 as I approached MX 1 and a delightful 67 degrees and full marine layer in G Negro.

[Edited on 6-28-2017 by DaliDali]

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 09:12 AM

Attachment: Max Coupler Instructions, 11-25-15.pdf (164kB)
This file has been downloaded 279 times

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 10:28 AM

OK

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 12:54 PM

I would drop the pressure of your trailer whatever percentage you drop your tow vevicle. I broke a few trailers before figuring that out.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 03:37 PM

Double ditto on checking all welds / spring shackles at the Bahia LA Jct. If you find any cracks there is a welder at the Jct on the southeast corner; large yard. Make sure all in the trailer is battened down well, especially batteries (boat), etc.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 04:02 PM

I wouldn't air down...

trailer tires are made different than car and truck tires...they are made to haul weight and drive straight ahead

that's why its illegal to run trailer tires on a car

if you air down with the weight of the boat, fuel and supplies the sidewalls may heat up and fall apart

there is NOTHING worse than a flat on a trailer when its loaded

i'd air up all the way and drive slow...or....

cross at tecate and skip the dirt road for now...
wait till its completed

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 04:12 PM

Trailer Tire inflation chart.

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trailer-tire-loadinflation-cha...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 04:14 PM

Trailer Towing ST vs LT tires.

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-t...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Trailer Towing ST vs LT tires.

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-t...

Interesting website, thanks.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-29-2017 at 12:11 AM
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2017 at 07:48 AM

Here is a technical wirte up on tire pressures.
Tire correct pressure you use does NOT have to do with the max number on the sidewall except to not exceed that value. The correct pressure is the value you get from the chart that Tom posted. The drill is go to the scales and get you real weight then inflate your tires to the specified value from the chart. I do that for my tow truck and various trailers, because the weight varies so much because of the variable weight load.
As far as reducing the pressure for a rough road. I would not do that. Considerations: The issue of re-inflating the tire after the bad road. And potential damage due to an overloaded tire. What I do is slow down, because the load capacity of the tire is a function of speed. Very short stretch of rough road may be an exception? Lower the pressure, go much slower, then re- inflate. Another exception is driving in soft sand when flotation is required to avoid being stuck.
All the above applies to all cars, trucks, and trailers. And it is common practice to the above for off road pre-runners and race trucks, but there are other considerations than weight and speed.
For my Jeep I reduce the pressure from 30 to 12-14psi for off road and obstacle driving. Others with bead lock rims are using 4psi for the same kind of trails or obstacles. Of course I am talking about speeds less than 10mph. And sure enough I have on board re-inflating capability.
Last of all your tire wear will be optimized if the inflation is correct per the weight/PSI chart.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.