BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: who's ditched photobucket for imgur?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 06:37 PM
who's ditched photobucket for imgur?

PB blows....lots of folks using imgur, any thoughts:?:
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 11:11 PM

Been using Photobucket forever. Use it pretty much everyday. I'm on my last leg with it. Buggy as crap.

I've been using Imgur for Gifs for a while. Photobucket hasn't been loading properly on other sites.

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by JZ]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 06:22 AM

well I definitely need an alternative to photobucket since twice they've refused to let me post a photo here.

Such a shame but I need an alternative and fast.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 06:52 AM

Blanca you really scared me when you mentioned photobucket wasnt working....fortunately mine is fine..maybe your free account is full up? I just start a new one with another email address when that happens.

I edit in Picassa as it is so fast and easy then upload the photos I want to post here to Photobucket.

Yes it is one of Nomad annoying quirks for sure and lots of people dont post photos as it takes a few minutes to do...in this instant gratification world we now live in, this peees people off. But it is still a great sandbox i like to play in.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 08:29 AM

Photobucket still is working for me, too... It's a good thing as I have thousands of photos, maps and book covers to share here.

I have posted the steps and it is not rocket science to click one button so the photos fit here on Nomad (which has an 800-pixel wide limit).

I wasn't as clever as Shari and opened a second account what I reached my limit... but $20 a year(I think) is hardly a problem for all I have there and no ads when you pay the annual fee.

Here is the HOW TO, updated this year. This is the first post over on the Photo Album page on Nomad:

We can help! Here's the step by step using one of the photo hosting sites 'Photobucket.com':

UPDATED JAN. 2017

There are many photo hosting sites, Photobucket.com is one used by many here, it is free for basic membership and very cheap for advanced.

* Create an album for your trip or subject on Photobucket.

* Click Upload to transfer photos from your PC folder to your Photobucket album.

* Click on the gear symbol on the right corner of the box you see on the screen...

1)

Blue arrow: click the gear symbol to set the upload size.
Red arrow: Make a unique album for each trip or subject of photos (rather than putting them all into your 'bucket').

When you click the gear symbol...

================================================================
2)

Scroll down and see "Customize Upload Options" in blue, click on that!

=============================================================
3)

Click 800x600 for FULL SCREEN NOMAD pics
Click 640x480 for Large Nomad pics
Click 100x75 for Avatar pics
CLICK SAVE to Complete.
You can come back here and change the size anytime.

4)

Select the photos from your PC folder that you want to share on Nomad or other forums. Other forums may have built in width controls so the 800 limit is not critical as it still is here.

5)

Click on the IMG code that you see with each of the photos in your album and paste that onto Nomad, and double space between photo links. You can add any text with each photo, as well.

You may put many photos on a post, but it may be wise to not place an excessive number (over 20?) for slower Internet servers, as the photos take a long time to load on them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 08:48 AM

I haven't posted a photo recently but would just resize it to 50k and it would post directly to Nomad without any dificulty of uploading to Photobucket.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 08:52 AM

That is about as good an exposé of photobucket I have ever seen.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Stickers  
I haven't posted a photo recently but would just resize it to 50k and it would post directly to Nomad without any dificulty of uploading to Photobucket.

Doug upped the Nomad hosting size to 250k.
See below in the attachment line on the posting page: Upload size limit is 250kB.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:16 AM

I struggle with uploading pictures onto Nomad. I certainly can do it, and have done so in the past, but its definitely a hassle and deters me a LOT from posting more photos.

My opinion
Alan from San Diego
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
I struggle with uploading pictures onto Nomad. I certainly can do it, and have done so in the past, but its definitely a hassle and deters me a LOT from posting more photos.

My opinion
Alan from San Diego

I am more than happy to walk anyone through the steps. It is a matter of just doing each step and after a couple times, it is automatic.

1) Your photos are on your PC in a folder already and that's where they will come from.

2) You create a Photobucket album for a type of photo or sub-album for a date of photos, so you can easily find the photos in the future.

3) You click the gear symbol to select an upload size (640 or 800) for medium or large size on Nomad. Note, the quality is not reduced only the area of the screen used is. Over 800 stretches the Nomad page and Doug (who has little time for this) has to fix the over-sized photos.

4) Upload photos from your PC to your Photobucket album... one at a time or the entire folder.

THIS is only for Internet forum posting of your photos, your original photo files in your PC are unharmed and still there.

There are a set of links next to your photo on your album page. One is for emailing, one is direct for Facebook, etc., and a third is called IMG (img) and it is THAT ONE you copy and paste on Nomad with your post. You may paste several photos. I suggest double spacing or adding captions between photo links.

Questions?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:36 AM

I don't have an issue posting photo's here, I do have an issue with every time I log onto PB my PC slows to a crawl while I attempt to navigate around so many ads. somethings going on over there, maybe they're just tired of offering free service....but I hope you all have back up files!;)
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:44 AM
multiple photos

I need a similar tutorial for adding more than one photo at a time. Can that be done? I have been going through the whole procedure you've outlined for each image.

John
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Stickers  

Doug upped the Nomad hosting size to 250k.
See below in the attachment line on the posting page: Upload size limit is 250kB.

That's great for picture quality. So easy to just resize and post directly.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
I need a similar tutorial for adding more than one photo at a time. Can that be done? I have been going through the whole procedure you've outlined for each image.

John

Each one photo has one link.

You can only copy and paste one at a time unless you pre-paste the links on a Word page and then mass post them here. Still the same or more work than one at a time.

Many Nomads are in Dial-Up and cannot enjoy the postings of multiple photos. So maybe limit how many photos and just multi-postings?

(Did you see the map I sent you of Valle Chico roads?)

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 10:32 AM

I didnt realize it was only $20 a year so I could do that but I only use it for Nomad postings....i thought it was much more expensive.

most dont realize it but we live frugally here...the little tourism there is really doesnt provide a living....good thing Juan has a day job....so it does help to be thrifty where possible. We drive old vehicles, grow some food, do our own work on alot of stuff etc.

Having said that, I went to Imgur and WOW!!!! I love it....it's a million times easier, better and faster than Photobucket which takes forever to load and organize pics etc. If it works as well as it seems I will bid adios to PB. Here is a test of a pic from my Canada visit in may.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 10:48 AM

actually its not cheap, from their website the only plan that allows image linking or 3rd party image hosting is their $400 plan! folks on other sites are seeing their photo's randomly disappearing and losing they're minds...and switching mostly to Imgur
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
LOL...
So I join Imgur... see the upload size setting (for 800 pixels). Made an album for my 2017 pics... and nada... I tried to upload, tried to start over, just froze me there. So, I deleted.
Not impressed yet! :biggrin:

hmmm....maybe like some other sites;)you're just not welcome?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 11:01 AM

I haven't uploaded an image lately so I thought I'd share one of my favorite baja images. This is the bridge over the highway just south of the entrance to Mulege. Beware if you're thinking of buying along the river.

Now let's see, I choose the file (from my hard drive) and click Post. As long as the file is 250K or less, I can't imagine it being easier.

I'm going to check out imgur. I used to use Picasa but Google has really changed things, for the worse IMHO.

mulege-flood.jpg - 65kB

[Edited on 7-4-2017 by SFandH]
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 11:26 AM

Since I've never posted a picture, I thought I'd try this simple method.

This is how I spend my time at Coco's beach. Hope this works.

Coco.jpg - 117kB

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 11:48 AM

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

Several items have lost their product images on Amazon
Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after a photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.

The problem has been caused by Photobucket introducing a charge for allowing images hosted on its platform to be embedded into third-party sites.

The company caught many of its members unaware with the change, prompting some to accuse it of holding them to ransom.

Denver-based Photobucket is now seeking a $399 (£309) annual fee from those who wish to continue using it for "third-party hosting" and is facing a social media backlash as a consequence.

The BBC received an automated response when it tried to contact the company and is still seeking comment.

Photobucket has been online since 2003 and says it has more than 100 million customers and more than 15 billion images on its servers.

Part of its attraction with small retailers was the fact that its ad-supported "free" accounts could be used to upload images of goods to a single destination from where they could be pushed to multiple outlets.

Photobucket is facing complaints from its users on Twitter and Facebook
On 26 June, however, the company published a brief note advising users to "take a moment to review our updated terms and policies".

About 500 words into the linked document was a declaration that free accounts would no longer permit image-linking to third-party sites.

Many users realised the change only when their embedded images were replaced by graphics saying their Photobucket accounts needed to be updated.

Devon-based seller vintage store Retro 2 Go, which sells its goods on eBay, was one of those affected.

"I have quite a bit of editing to do," the store's owner, Gigha Klinkenborg, told the BBC.

"A bit of notice would not have been unreasonable to expect. I have deleted my accounts and would not use [Photobucket] again."

'Held to ransom'

Some sellers unwilling to pay the fee have handled the change by uploading their product photos to a rival service.

But the new policy has also affected historical social media posts, blogs and forums that were reliant on Photobucket.

One of those affected is Stampboards, a forum with more than 17,000 members who discuss postage stamps and share images of them.

Many of its pages are now filled with Photobucket's upgrade demands instead of the photos of stamps it once showed.

"They are holding you to ransom," the site's administrator, Glen Stephens, told members, advising them not to pay the fee.

"You have no guarantee they will be in business... in a month the way this disaster is rolling out."

One British digital marketing company said it was understandable that Photobucket had wanted to become less reliant on ads, but criticised the service for both the sums it was seeking and the way it had gone about the move.

"It came out of the blue," blogged Runcorn's Aqueous Digital.

"There were no announcements, no emails warning people that it was about to happen and more importantly, no explanation.

"Bulletin boards across the globe are being crippled as previously vibrant threads with detailed images are disappearing.

"People who have used Photobucket for hosting these images successfully for over 10 years are finding that they will have to literally start again with what for some, amounts to a lifetime's work."

But one expert said the public needed to be aware of the risks of relying on any free image service.

"There's a lot of websites out there looking for advertising, and there's a finite amount of advertising spending to go round," said Nigel Atherton, editor of Amateur Photographer magazine.

"And any photo gallery and storage site like this that relies on ads to offer a free service can only continue to do so if they have enough money coming in.

"So, if you put all your photos into any site or app like this where it's not clear how they are going to continue financing their business, then it could come back and bite you at some point in the future."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.