Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need some advice
Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 08:24 AM
Need some advice

Here's the situation. I bought a boat in Baja from a Gringo. I'm wanting to take the boat back to the states to get it repowered. The TIP (temporary import permit) which is still valid is under the name of the owner that owned the boat before the owner I purchased it from. According to a site I read the TIP needs to be closed by the original owner and from what I understand this needs to be done in Mexico. Sounds like a major pain if this is the case. Has anyone had experience with this?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 08:49 AM

i am trying to remember if i have been asked for ID when returning a TIP. i really don't recall ever being asked. i am sure others here who have more experience can chime in. i am leaning towards them not asking. was the TIP secured with cash or a credit card? worse case scenario, the Mexican government keeps the previous owner's deposit?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 09:03 AM

You don't say what size or how you will transport?

Sale is best offshore in intl water to reduce sales tax.

The seller should cancel the TIP and you get a new one.

You should have a title bill of sale and Vin now and be able to go to the nearby port (e.g. pichilingue) to ask the question about closing the TIP then you get a new one for yourself for low fee then go to the border to turn it in at your last port of entry/exit. The more you ask the more answers you will get.

Could try call Aduana Mex 52 5 518 5420, Fax: +52 5 542 2821
http://www.sat.gob.mx/Paginas/Inicio.aspx

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by gnukid]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 09:09 AM

The owner should cancel the TIP because you will want one when you bring the boat back. It is normally a non-issue leaving Mexico and a non-issue going in to the US. A Bill of Sale will take care of all of that.
Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 09:46 AM

The boat is 19'. I have a buddy who is willing to trailer it to San Diego. Then I will drive it back down after the work is done.

The TIP was not transferred to the person I purchased the boat from. So hunting down the owner before him might be an issue. Do I understand this correctly that you have to cancel the TIP at a mexican port, but not necessarily with the person who's name it is under?

Other question: Does the TIP have to have the name of the person that is transporting the boat? Or does it need to match the title? Or will it suffice if you role through with the sticker and TIP paper work and say your transporting for a friend?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 10:17 AM

Just write a bill of sale (make up details if need be) from the original TIP holder to the guy transporting it like he's taking it to US for good. Have him write a bill of sale to you like you just bought it from him with the new motor! Turn in the old one on the way north and get your new one on the way south.

Edit: does the guy that sold it to you have title so you can register it in US? Then it's all legit!

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by woody with a view]

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 11:07 AM

You have to cancel it at a port of entry (port of entries exist all over basically any port), it may be possible to mail it. Apparently the aduana people are recently more flexible about canceling TIP without the original person there when they are renewing and there is title and bill of sale and VIN.

Last year or so they came under pressure for being inflexible and then impounding boats which caused a lashback and change of policy to allow people to cancel old TIP and renew more easily as long as paperwork exists.
Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 11:24 AM

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by Hendo]

TIP is still valid. Yes, boat has been sold twice since original TIP.

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by Hendo]
Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 11:42 AM

Oops. Think I just deleted the post that I replied to.
Sorry!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 11:44 AM

Check this out

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/temporary-boat-importation/

These folks are very helpful and knowledgable. I bet they will give you some good information. They're in San Diego.

Their email address is at the bottom of the page.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 05:04 PM

Just one person's experience. I bought a boat from a gringo in Baja who had a TIP for it. He did not cancel it and I applied for a new one in my name while in the US, got it in the mail and took it down and put it on the boat. So apparently they do not cross reference the VIN between old and new owners. I think you would be OK just applying for an new TIP and forgetting about the previous one.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Just one person's experience. I bought a boat from a gringo in Baja who had a TIP for it. He did not cancel it and I applied for a new one in my name while in the US, got it in the mail and took it down and put it on the boat. So apparently they do not cross reference the VIN between old and new owners. I think you would be OK just applying for an new TIP and forgetting about the previous one.

I'll second that!

Just my ever so humble opinion of course.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

ask any Mexican lawyer how Mexico is on top of data movement between various branches of government. not state of the art. true of most countries i have been too outside Europe. besides, i take great stock in the old dicho, " better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission" or something like that.
Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 09:29 AM

Just to follow up. Brought boat to San Diego for new motor. Title was in old owners name. Re-registered both boat and trailer in AZ. Decided to ignore TIP that was in the other owners name yet current. We crossed at TJ. Went to the declaration parkimg lot. Inspector was concerned about VIN numbers for trailer matching the title and hull number matching registration. We were then sent to the second guy who looked over the rest of our paperwork. Didn't care that the TIP was not in my name, but I didn't ask him either. Loving the mew motor!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 10:10 AM

That is a great end to the story! Enjoy that boat!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2017 at 02:25 PM

Semi off-topic, but what about re-powering a boat in Baja... probably selection is limited and service maybe trickier, but I wonder about pricing... maybe it would be more economical than buying an outboard in the states, particularly if you were looking for an outboard of same size as they run on so many pangas?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2017 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  
Semi off-topic, but what about re-powering a boat in Baja... probably selection is limited and service maybe trickier, but I wonder about pricing... maybe it would be more economical than buying an outboard in the states, particularly if you were looking for an outboard of same size as they run on so many pangas?

I'm considering buying a new outboard from these guys in Ensenada. Mostly because I want a 2 stroke, which will be cheaper than any 4 stroke of equal power in the states.

http://www.agenciaarjona.com/motores-fuera-de-borda

They have a store in La Paz too.

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 04:58 PM

4 strokes are way worth the extra money :bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.