Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2017 Baja 1000 bike start
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 01:41 PM
2017 Baja 1000 bike start

Any word yet on this years Baja 1000 starting times for motorcycles?
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by K7BVT  
Any word yet on this years Baja 1000 starting times for motorcycles?

Should be 6am-ish

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 03:38 PM

Right, last year it was 6am. For the bikes it's every 30 seconds.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 08:20 PM

My understanding,is Roger wants to start the bikes at 12:01am Thursday morning .. similar to the original start time in 1967 when they left the TJ start...
As with everything with SCORE these days.. nothing is set in stone..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 07:51 AM

I think he did a midnight start a couple of years ago, not sure if it was the 1000 or not. I didn't think the racers would like it but when I asked some of them they really liked it. Something different I guess. Personally I never like racing at night, I never had enough lights on my bike.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 08:45 AM

2013 B1K 11pm start I believe
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 09:17 AM

Lighting tech has advanced much since the days of halogen (Quartz Iodine Cibie) and even big, heavy HID lamps with the advancement in LED... Tiny diodes that are pure white and bright as all get out. Most importantly for bikes, is they are light and draw little power for what they produce.

Baja Designs, here in San Marcos, CA, has been a leader for motorcycle off road racing lights. https://www.bajadesigns.com/

[Edited on 7-8-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 10:25 AM

If only I was younger and full of energy.

Back in the day we would take the shell off a Cibie and mounted it to a frame.

For a Kawasaki KX500 there was a lighting coil that was I think 60 watts mounted to the stator and a French made external lighting coil that was 90 watts mounted to the stator unit. We ran one 55 watt halogen flood and one 75 or 80 watt halogen spot beam on the race bike plus a 20 watt flood from a scuba under water unit mounted to the helmet.

Our first Baja 1000 race in 1987 I asked Kearny Mesa Yamaha how to put lights on a YZ250 motocross bike and they said they didn't know. A Honda mechanic in Escondido told us to use a Yamaha ATV stator which we did. When the race was over I was in Kearny Mesa Yamaha and they asked what I did for lights and when I told them they said oh yea lots of people do that. I never did business with them again.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 11:00 AM

I still have my Cibie Super Oscar from 1974! It still works great, I had it on my truck once the Kragen plastic HIDs broke off, until I got the LEDs on it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If only I was younger and full of energy.

LOL. You are not alone. Most of us on here probably feel the same way.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 02:38 PM

Either way they are running in the dark.. 12:01am start allows them to start fresh w/working lights.. finish in La Paz just after sunset..
The issue for Score would be having to organize another day of Contingency, and close off the streets a second day... Getting checkpoints opened for early morning operation.. Trophy Truck start times would then be moved up to early morning...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 08:30 AM

They are starting at 12:01am Thursday (11/16)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 11:23 AM

I haven't seen or heard anything about the bikes starting at midnight but I think it is a good ideal to do so.

From the SCORE website they will not be running down the pacific side to LA Bay. They will be going thru San Felipe.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 11:27 AM

From SCORE:

In response to inquiries from teams for general course information in order to book rooms, following is a list of cities and towns where the 50th Annual Baja 1000 course will go through or nearby in November.
- Ensenada
- San Felipe
- Gonzaga Bay
- Bay of LA
- Vizcaino
- San Ignacio
- Loreto
- Ciudad ConstitucioĢn
- La Paz

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.