BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Nice car in Baja - do it?
ceteris62

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 05:30 PM
Nice car in Baja - do it?

Hi

Looking for advice here - I used to drive my Jeep to Baja/rosarito all the time to go surf. I recently got a new Range Rover Sport and am nervous to take it down to Baja. Should I be nervous? Or is it generally safe enough these days to avoid getting messed with? Thoughts?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 06:57 PM

Just my opinion, but I think a Jeep in Baja is a much more likely target than a Range Rover! Easier to steal and/or fence, blends right in while a Rover stands out. Parts are readily available, or easily sold.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ceteris62

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Just my opinion, but I think a Jeep in Baja is a much more likely target than a Range Rover! Easier to steal and/or fence, blends right in while a Rover stands out. Parts are readily available, or easily sold.

Ha that is a good point and a recent wrangler theft ring was recently busted in san diego. But thanks for your thoughts on it - dont want to run in to any trouble down there.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ceteris62  
Hi

Looking for advice here - I used to drive my Jeep to Baja/rosarito all the time to go surf. I recently got a new Range Rover Sport and am nervous to take it down to Baja. Should I be nervous? Or is it generally safe enough these days to avoid getting messed with? Thoughts?

mexico is no more prone to auto theft than so cal. just do it. i have driven new and old cars in baja, never even been broken into let alone stolen.
but be smart and carry insurance.

p.s. dont ttake that poser car off road., the 4wd is only meant for snow and well-maintained unpaved roads. if you got the low-profile tires that are oh so hip these days, your rims should be bent/dinged by potholes by the end of your first trip to baja :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-10-2017 by mtgoat666]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 09:23 PM

Hi

$70-80K vehicle? yeah I'd be nervous too. don't skimp on insurance ;)
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 09:45 PM

Seems like a rhetorical question. I personally wouldn't. I'd be more scared of it getting waxed.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
Boulder bob222
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 08:56 AM

mexico is no more prone to auto theft than so cal. just do it. i have driven new and old cars in baja, never even been broken into let alone stolen.

[Edited on 7-10-2017 by mtgoat666][/rquote]In other words you haven't spent a lot of time, if any, in Baja;:lol::lol::lol: poser goat.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 09:32 AM

You just never know. I had a 93 Accord (my local drive around car) stolen. They left the 2013 RAM alone.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 09:47 AM

I recently bought a late model Toyota 4x4 TRD / a Four w Wheel camper on it.

Resold it within two months. Insurance and gas milage was bad PLUS I was nervous about taking it to Baja. I don't like to stand out. AND I didn't like worrying about something happening to it.

I'm in my Honda Element AWD and loving it. I do wish it had more ground clearance though.
Next true 4x4 I buy is going to look like a picee of sh*t but be mechanically sound.

But thats just what I feel comfortable in.

[Edited on 7-11-2017 by Paco Facullo]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 10:27 AM

i agree i have 3 cars here. i consider my 20-year-old jeep the most likely to turn up missing. for the very reasons you cited. when i go the la paz or san lucas i put a club on the steering wheel
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
...when i go the la paz or san lucas i put a club on the steering wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2Op5VpUrg

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 01:19 PM

I probably should have recused myself from any discussion about driving a 'nice car' down to Baja. Every vehicle I have crossed south with has been at least ten years old, and well depreciated.

Would I drive a sweet new ride down if I had one? Sure, why not! I don't see that in my future though, I can't see plunking down enough cash to buy a nice ride, and car payments are something I don't want.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 01:31 PM

I probably should have recused myself from any discussion about driving a 'nice car' down to Baja. Every vehicle I have crossed south with has been at least ten years old, and well depreciated.

Would I drive a sweet new ride down if I had one? Sure, why not! I don't see that in my future though, I can't see plunking down enough cash to buy a nice ride, and car payments are something I don't want.

I have taken all three of my Tacomas into Baja when they were new before license plates arrived. One on the very day I got it. While no Range Rover, a new 4WD TRD Tacoma is over $32,000. Just make sure you have adequate Mexican auto insurance.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 02:47 PM

Sure, why not...??? I had my daughters Duramax down there...Sticker price 60K +-...Worst thing that happened , some dummy spilled Pacifico into the console...:(

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 04:37 PM

I have taken my hopped up Porsche 911 to Baja many times. (cue up the Porsche jokes now)

Have also been ferried along Hwy 2 by the federales at 130 mph in same car during the recent Baja Targa event. Wow:bounce:

I own the Bajamar race course track record (google earth to see it)(shhh; don't tell hoa)

Point is; cars are meant to be enjoyed, drive it like you stole it, insure as you see fit.

Es Todo Bueno
mexicali-kid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 04:50 PM

Hi

Your insurance will come in handy if anything happens.
Had a friend who left the keys in the car on purpose in TJ. He wanted the car stolen, no one would take it.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Sure, why not...??? I had my daughters Duramax down there...Sticker price 60K +-...Worst thing that happened , some dummy spilled Pacifico into the console...:(

Why are they a dummy, because they didn't hand you a straw to clean it up?
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 04:55 PM

"Had a friend who left the keys in the car on purpose in TJ. He wanted the car stolen, no one would take it."

That'll happen when your driving a Yugo..........
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 05:44 PM

Bajabreak? I don't get it...

Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 10:41 PM

I'm a firm believer in car alarms. A siren at 115 dB works if someone is tampering with your vehicle. As important to me is the super bright blue LED on the dash. At night, interior lights up like a strobe. I arm my car when ever I'm not in it. An old Honda CRV.

Enjoy your ride.

To your question, no, I wouldn't worry about a RR in Baja.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.