BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What does it cost to get out of jail...?
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 01:15 PM
What does it cost to get out of jail...?

Here's one opinion courtesy of Gringo Gazette. And I have heard this before...

How Much Is A Killing Worth?
406,000 pesos.
A man who killed his friend who was riding in his car when he lost control of it has settled with her family to pay about $22,000 U.S., in lui of going to jail.
Yes, you can do that here.
The killer negotiates with the district attorney, who represents the family. They come up with a financial figure. If the two parties can't agree on terms, the guy doing the killing, no matter how accidental, goes to jail. If they do agree, then the guy goes scott free, no matter how intentional, (or not), the accident.
That's actually pretty high, this man must be rich. Often the family will settle for as little as $10,000.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 01:19 PM

In the U.S. the insurance company will settle and the guy does no jail time unless he is under the influence.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In the U.S. the insurance company will settle and the guy does no jail time unless he is under the influence.

That is one major difference in US/Mex Ins., in most or
all Mex Ins policies, 'the policy in void if alcohol was a
contributing factor' . I read through a recent policy from
one of the SD Mex Ins brokers, the policy is some 14 pages,
one item discussed frequently here is the need for an fmm,
not saying they would use this exclusion, but it is printed
'the policy may be invalid if the driver is not in the
Country legally'

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
...but it is printed
'the policy may be invalid if the driver is not in the
Country legally'

my policy doesn't say that

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 02:27 PM

I was the driver in a fatality accident back in the 70s and had to stay in jail until the fault was determined. At one point 10 grand was mentioned should I wish to not wait until the ruling or trial. One of the reasons most policies offer an attorney rider.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 02:58 PM

About having an FMM and insurance coverage requirement...
So far the word we get is coverage is not dependent on having an FMM or not.

Isn't entering a country illegally when you cross over at other than a border crossing... ie. over the fence/wall or across the line where there is no fence/wall (yet)? That would make someone knowingly an illegal alien... and not the more gentle name 'undocumented immigrant', yes?

Since you can freely drive into Mexico without being directed to INM, who is being violated? Not everyone reads Baja Nomad or follows the rules. So, are they really in the country "illegally" or is there a better term, like 'undocumented gringo'?
:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 03:22 PM

I think you should believe what your policy says...That's your contract with your insurance agency..Period

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I think you should believe what your policy says...That's your contract with your insurance agency..Period

Found it online, I dislike being wrangled into looking
things up,
but it is there. Not suggesting in anyway the Mex Ins Co
would use it to their advantage, never heard/read of that
happening. But it is printed in, I believe in exclusions,
I for one, have always been skeptical of Ins Co's
As for not being directed into Mex Imm at the border,
yes it would be beneficial to be informed of regs,
What's the saying 'ignorance of the law is no excuse'

[Edited on 7-11-2017 by sancho]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Found it online, I dislike being wrangled into looking
things up,
but it is there. Not suggesting in anyway the Mex Ins Co
would use it to their advantage, never heard/read of that
happening. But it is printed in, I believe in exclusions,
I for one, have always been skeptical of Ins Co's
As for not being directed into Mex Imm at the border,
yes it would be beneficial to be informed of regs,
What's the saying 'ignorance of the law is no excuse'

[Edited on 7-11-2017 by sancho]

I think it's in some Canadian tourist site giving bogus information about needing a valid FMM for Mexican auto insurance or you may not be covered if your get into an accident. I think that's laughable.

Anyway what counts is your Mexican auto policy, and the exclusions they list, not bogus stuff found on the internet.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
About having an FMM and insurance coverage requirement...
So far the word we get is coverage is not dependent on having an FMM or not.

Isn't entering a country illegally when you cross over at other than a border crossing... ie. over the fence/wall or across the line where there is no fence/wall (yet)? That would make someone knowingly an illegal alien... and not the more gentle name 'undocumented immigrant', yes?

Since you can freely drive into Mexico without being directed to INM, who is being violated? Not everyone reads Baja Nomad or follows the rules. So, are they really in the country "illegally" or is there a better term, like 'undocumented gringo'?
:lol:

Maybe there should be a wall and make the USA pay for it. :lol::lol: What is there not to be understood about not having a permit or visa to enter the country.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 07:36 PM

Insurance companies are NOT your friend.....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Insurance companies are NOT your friend.....

Depends. State Farm once paid me for stuff I did not even want, but they insisted on paying. My X-Terra got sand-blasted in a freak sand storm in the desert, badly pitting all my windows in about 5 mins time. State Farm wanted to not only pay for the new windows, but wanted to pay for a new paint job. The X was white and brand new, and nothing showed from the sand-blasting other than the windows so I refused to have the car painted. They insisted on paying me anyway for the estimated cost of a new paint job. Pretty weird if you ask me. That happened 10 years ago and the white paint still looks just fine.

Boulder bob222
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 01:27 PM

You people are clueless! Maybe Dennis can chime in and educate you how the system works for gringos. Starting with YOU DON'T KILL THE GOOSE THAT LAID THE GOLDEN EGG!:no:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 07:55 PM

About fifteen years ago, a co-worker's son and a friend were 'on holiday' in Mexico after graduating college. While passing through Mexico City, they were able to order some pot from a local street vendor, who delivered it to their hotel room.

As soon as they hit the street, they were stopped and searched by a couple of police officers. They were threatened with jail, but taken to a bank where they maxed out their funds and credit cards to avoid being arrested.

The officers even gave them back their pot, and they were stupid enough to take it! They were shortly re-arrested, and this time it was the real deal. Jail, then a judge, and then back to a miserable jail cell, and dad was getting the call for help.

The project we were working on was just about complete, so dad lined up a Mexican lawyer and took off to Mexico to rescue his son.

I never did hear the final total cost, or how long his son was jailed, but he was talking about ten or fifteen thousand plus expenses before he left Anchorage!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 07:54 AM

My old truck 10 grand damage (I was not driving) Fixed by Mex INS. They never asked for any FMM.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 06:17 PM

Oh my gosh....we have just had a major tragedy in town. As we pulled into town, there was a huge gathering outside the local health clinic. Looked odd.

Soon after, some of my middle school students stopped by and told us that a woman was looking at her cell phone and backing out of her driveway at the same time. She RAN OVER little 8 year old who was walking home from elementary school and killed her.

I can't get over what part of don't use the cell phone while driving folks don't understand. A very sad day in La Bocana.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 02:27 AM

Blanca that is so sad especially for the girl and her family but also for the lady that ran over her. She will have to live with that the rest of her life. It's the life we have . People do stupid things.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:39 PM

Back on topic: I once unintentionally caused an accident during a rainstorm. State Farm covered all the damages and then sent me a letter saying that they would not raise my rates because of it nor cancel my policy.

and hubby Les has had the opposite side of the story where he was canceled after using the State Farm home insurance. Go figure.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.