Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The "wall"
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 07:50 AM
The "wall"

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/341527-bill-allocates-16-b...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 08:03 AM

It will be interesting to see what the Senate does with the House bill.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 08:09 AM

They work far too slowly... but for a reason.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 08:18 AM

Dumb idea...The wall

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
They work far too slowly... but for a reason.

Yeah, the reason is the Senate is in session only about 1/2 the year. For example, they worked only 10 days in April, 15 days in July, and are taking all of August off.

http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/2017_the_hill_congres...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 12:34 PM

I wonder if any Mexican company would bid on constructing the wall or part there of. If so would the U.S. consider them. Cheap labor as compared to the U.S. side or maybe not if prevailing wages prohibit it.
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I wonder if any Mexican company would bid on constructing the wall or part there of. If so would the U.S. consider them. Cheap labor as compared to the U.S. side or maybe not if prevailing wages prohibit it.

Interesting idea. I never thought of that.

Is it possible that the Mexican citizens would consider that company to be traitors?

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Anything is possible. A sub-ktr of mine is working in Gitmo on a hospital expansion. They share a pool of Jamaicans and Filipinos for laborers who make between $5-7/hr. The gringo companies pay their foremen and skilled guys prevailing wage.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

I call foul!

Barry, weren't you crying in that Trump, Baja Resort Fiasco thread, about some become disgusted over such vitriol skewed information and hating others's different opinions?

And here you are Barry A, starting very controversial topic that you know will end up in the toilet and with hurt feelings?

Why did you do it Barry?

BTW Barry, it's' not a done deal that border wall funding. The democrats already made the republicans blink, over the border wall funding a few months ago, and I understand the GOP wants another government shut down fight, and is willing to shut down the government if border wall funding isn't included in the GOP bill.

BTW Barry, what happened to Trump's promise that Mexico will pay for the wall? Why do tax payers have to pay the wall, when Trump promised Mexico will pay for it?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

!.6 million dollars of our tax dollars going for a bogus wall. What happened to Rumps promise? Where is out health care improvements? Tax loopholes taken care of in reform...What reform? Just tax breaks for the rich is all I have seen proposed....Slow...David??? yes maybe its a good thing.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 06:00 PM

Great questions! What happened to Vets health care?..I have to drive 80 miles to get anything done...That's 1.6 BILLION dollars

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Great questions! What happened to Vets health care?..I have to drive 80 miles to get anything done...That's 1.6 BILLION dollars

Oh you are correct. We were promised Mexico was paying...what happened? not enough tourist tax? Lol.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Oh you are correct. We were promised Mexico was paying...what happened? not enough tourist tax? Lol.

Gonna make the poor gringos pay!
Gonna pass tax bills that cut taxes for the rich, balanced by cutting health care for the poor and over 65, so we can build a wall that ain't needed. Trump's folly!
We are only 6 months in to this 4 year mistake :wow::O:O:O
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:00 AM

Mr Trump commented yesterday that we don't really NEED a complete wall.....and it doesnt need to be 30 feet tall and we should be able to see through it and maybe just fix up the old one...In sum like we have now..What a relief! Now we can check that off the list of promises kept! SOURCE? National news this morning....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:43 AM

I think it was...That's Malcolms bunch..But Ok....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:45 AM

See above...I amsure it was taken at your joint..Thats Malcolms rig...But Ok...

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 11:59 AM

I'm bidding on the tunnels that the Mexican gobermnt is proposing in order to speed traffic Northbound. No more border back-ups. Toll Tunnels of course. Then theres the LARGE DRONE staging area complete with a four lane super highway. Mexico will hook U up, and your vehicle, with a large Drone and fly U over the Border Wall for a small fee as long as U have a current FMM. And Wiley Coyote will continue to be beaten by the Mexican Road Runner............
What more can be said. It is what it is and that was that. What ever will be will be and Karma is something you step in." Look what the Cat drug in Velma".
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 12:20 PM

Say it ain't so, looks like Donnie Two Scoops lied.
Again.

No need for a full border wall, Trump says

President Trump, who made the building of a wall along the border with Mexico a central promise of his campaign, significantly scaled back the pledge Thursday.

"You don't need 2,000 miles of wall because you have a lot of natural barriers," Trump said to reporters on Air Force One during his flight to Paris.

"You have mountains. You have some rivers that are violent and vicious. You have some areas that are so far away that you don't really have people crossing. So you don't need that."

"You'll need anywhere from 700 to 900 miles," he said.

About 600 miles of the southern border already are protected by walls, fences or other barriers. It was not clear from Trump's remarks if the figure he cited referred to new border protections or included those already in existence, but he appeared to suggest that fixing current border fences would count against the total he had in mind.

"You know, we've already started the wall because we're fixing large portions of wall right now," he said. "We're taking wall that was good but it's in very bad shape, and we're making it new."

Conservative groups that had supported Trump’s tough stance on immigration during the campaign expressed concern that the president was changing course.

“It appears things are being walked back on and there are various narratives going around in the White House,” said Stephen Steinlight, a senior policy analyst at the Center for Immigration Studies in Washington.

“We don’t have the rule of law when it comes to immigration,” he said. “It doesn’t exist. There’s immigration anarchy.”

Ira Mehlman, a spokesman for Federation for American Immigration Reform in Washington, said Trump’s backsliding on the wall casts doubt on whether he will keep his other campaign promises on immigration.

“We expect he will fulfill the promises he made and we are going to continue to hold him accountable,” he said. “He needs to push Congress to do these things he was elected for. Now it’s time he deliver.”

In particular, Mehlman’s group wants Trump to rescind the program known as DACA, which was created by President Obama and shields more than 750,000 people from deportation who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

Trump told reporters on his plane Thursday that he, and not subordinate officials, would make the decision about what to do with DACA.

"It’s a decision that I make, and it’s a decision that’s very very hard to make. I really understand the situation now," Trump said.

"I understand the situation very well. What I’d like to do is a comprehensive immigration plan. But our country and political forces are not ready yet," he added.

Trump's Homeland Security secretary, John F. Kelly, had suggested in remarks Wednesday that Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions might make the final decision about the program if it is challenged in court.

Trump appeared to suggest that he would not delegate the decision to Sessions.

With regard to the border wall, Trump also offered a very different description of the barrier than he portrayed in campaign rallies, where he would sometimes talk about a wall 30 feet high.

His new description closely resembles the border fencing built under Presidents George W. Bush and Obama.

"You need transparency. You have to be able to see through it," Trump said.

"In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."

Both that physical description and his account of the extent of the wall he has in mind bring the president's version of the barrier much closer to what Kelly and his deputies have described.

Trump's comments to the reporters on the plane initially were off the record — a standard practice during previous administrations as well as the current one. But the president decided to put the conversation on the record, and White House officials released a transcript Thursday afternoon.

1:10 p.m.: This post was updated to include Trump's remark about DACA.

3:42 p.m.: This post was updated to include reaction to Trump's remarks.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:40 PM

Kool pic...Taken at Sharis...

Chuckie...this pic was not taken at our place at all....please stop dropping my name in your posts dude...particularly these ridiculous ones...carry on children

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 10:07 AM

Good thing that most of this babble is meaningless, eh?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.