Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Our Baja trip
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-13-2017 at 07:26 PM
Our Baja trip

So here's my report and ramblings for our trip down south. We left Lakeside Ca. on June 15 at 7:30 and headed East on 8. Crossed the border at Calexico west. We were directed where to park and the agent even walked me inside to make sure I was in the right place. Pretty girl too. Got the FMM and headed south.

Uneventful trip through San Felipe. That left outside of SF and road beyond that was a little bumpy. The real wake up call was the "jumps" (Vado), caught air a few times lol. Gassed up again at the Pemex in Gonzaga and headed towards the dirt road.

It wasn't bad, just had to air down the tires a bit and pay attention. After stopping a few times another 4runner showed up behind me....It became a race lol. Well not a real race, but those of the same mind set know what I'm talking about.

I ended coming up on a VW Pasat on the flats. I passed him in a rocky patch that had us all slow down. My speed went up and in the rear view mirror, the Pasat was right with me. I have no idea how it didn't rattle apart.

Laguna Chapala to BOLA turn off potholes are numerous and some are large.

We've never stopped in BOLA in the 15 years I've been traveling down Baja. Arrived at 4:30 and checked into Los Vientos. William made sure we were situated and said the shrimp and fish just came in and was fresh for dinner. Every meal has great!

We spent 3 days there, decompressing and trying to get into vacation mode. We loved the people there. William , Rosa, Claudia, her cute little girl Natalie and the whole staff were great. As soon as they saw Cooper ( our Jack Russell pup ) he was immediately renamed Milo lol.

Next stop was Loreto for the night. On the way the usual stops were San Ignacio and El Boleo and of course Conception Bay. It was 107 at the bay and the water was about the same. Cooper loved it.

Up early to go see Mission San Javier and travel onto Aldofo Lopez Mateo, another place we've never been to. Arrived at the Mangrove Inn. Beautiful place, we loved the way the place was set up. We want to look for dinner, it's the off season I guess, nothing was open. Stopped at a little tienda to get some bread for sandwiches. Back at Mangrove Inn they were making dinner. Great pollo asada.

We went out to make sure the truck was secure after the sun went down. Coming back to the room, the sewer cover outside our room was erupting with 3" roaches. I killed 5 inside and 2 more in the morning. We left a day early...Off to Los Barriles/ Verdugos.

Our usual stop in San Bartolo for fresh siguelas, mangos and dulces was a success. Arrived at Verdugos, it's like coming home for us. Everything was just as it's always been, perfect for us.

Unloaded the inflatable and went fishing a few days. Schoolie Dorado were in the boat line just offshore. Nothing like catching them on a fly you tied, small but fun.

The wind blew hard enough for the kite surfers to show up and have some fun. The water turned over it was cold and green. Killed the Dorado bite. We went out to "our beach " to fish Roosters. Cold and green there too, but who cares when you have the beach to yourself?

Time to head North. Los Barriles to GN. Stayed at Hotel Terra Sal, clean and really great beds. We had dinner at Las Cazuelas. Simple good food, great service and the little boys had great time with Cooper.

Up early, heading home. Back over the dirt road and lost in Mexicali lol. Had to back track to the border line. 112 degrees in line for 1 hour. Nice Customs Agent sent us right through...

Here is Nates Video..

A few stills
Gas up in Villa Jesus and get some Tortasfrom some really nice lady's

[img][/img]

Cooper watching for Roosters with me at our beach.

[img][/img]

GN Resturant... dont pass it up, it's Mas Olas approved.

[img]http://[/img]

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by Frank]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:38 AM

We should do BdeLA sometime Frank. It's Mas Olas approved as well!!!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:51 AM

Nice report, good times!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:40 AM

Sounds like a cool trip:coolup:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:41 AM

Thanks !! sounds like a great trip

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:56 AM

Timestamp issue resolved.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 10:56 AM

Sounds like a great trip except for the possible "roach asada" at the Mangrove Inn. Need to beware of that place as the owner is a ****** and a complete scammer
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 11:04 AM

Well done and thank you for posting!:bounce::light::coolup:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 12:11 PM

Soooooooooooo Beautiful. Nice Video enjoyed it very much. Thankyou!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:52 PM

Your dog watching you fish is a classic photo!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 04:00 PM

Glad your trip went well. It's been years since I have visited LA Bay and need to fit in into a trip N/S How was the road up and over from San Javier to Lopez Mateos?? It's penciled in for November on my To Do list. Verdugos et al is always fun esp when fishing is good. Thanks for your report. Tio

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.