Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Opinion: Class A or Class C for Baja
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 11:25 AM
Opinion: Class A or Class C for Baja

Hi All,

It appears we are moving from a sailboat to an RV and looking into going with an older RV (90's).
Reading online has spooked me a bit about rig type. Hearing about no shoulder and inches between you and a semi make me cringe. Should we focus on making sure we keep our purchase to as narrow a width as possible?

Our goal is to use our hybrid sailing kayak as much as possible (18'). We may roof top her if we decide to not go to too many different locations and focus on staying mainly in La Paz otherwise tow it. Essentially the trip, starting in November, will be 2 months, maybe more, one month in transit with beach camping (Mulege area and surrounding La Paz) and a month or more in La Paz (in which case we will use a dolly/beach wheels to get the kayak to the malecon/beach or slip her at a marina). Also, we are bringing our older, long hair dog.

So here are the questions we are looking for opinions/answers to:

1)If you had to do it over again, on a budget (around $10k) what RV would you buy for baja?

2) If you were towing an 18' kayak what RV type would you buy?

3) If we are towing the yak and it's our primary goal to use it often would you just tow it behind an suv and palapa camp for a couple of weeks and go rent an apt in La Paz for 1.5 or more?

Thanks a lot,
Sailorv
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 11:43 AM

You should take a drive south of San Quintin (where the 1973 section of 19' wide pavement begins) before you invest. Keepin in mind, semis, and buses use it all the time, of course with regular accidents.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 12:09 PM

Roads in Baja
The reason I just had a custom trailer built to haul my Jeep.
Reasons is what we all find about Baja roads:
* Narrow roads requiring a squeeze when passing oncoming 18 wheeler s.
* Curbs at the culverts that are at the pavement edge and 3 to 8" high. When a trailer tire touches a curb not only do you blow out a tire, but the rim is usually ruined. A big deal in Baja even if one carries multiple spares.
* My crossing northbound at Mexicali East is less than 8' wide at certain places and with a full size trailer I have to hang over the adjacent lane which caused a lot of conflict with other drivers.
A standard flat bed trailer is 109" wide and my new one is 85" wide.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 12:23 PM

For towing purposes I don't think it would matter driving a class A or C. I have drove the peninsula many times with a Class A and yes, it does get a little hairy at times.
With the above being said, I have never had any problems other than once in a while my heart stops as it seems so close when a large truck is coming in the opposite direction.
Have you ever considered a cab over camper? Much more user friendly and less white knuckle grip driving. I am not trying to scare you as 99% of the driving is smooth sailing, it's just that 1% that gets your attention.
If you are careful and drive defensively you will be OK in no matter what you drive.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:02 PM

Wow, that was fast, thank's everyone!!!

I'm getting nervous justo reading reading your responses,lol.

What about this?
Truck with cabover and tow a pop up tent camper and that doubles as the kayak trailer?
Or...just a truck with cab over and we put the kayak on top of that (we would install an electric windlass to get it up n down).
Could you all see any clearance issues?

Here is a side question: How much are the beach bungalows in places like Bahia Los Angeles and Santispac? And what are temps like in those areas for the month of November and also December? My thinking is maybe we truck camper to keep it low stress and if we can afford to rent a bungalow for a week have space and a/c for us and the pooch?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:03 PM

I would keep it skinny...With the road conditions continuing to deteroriate and doubtful that any repairs will be done....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sailorv  
Hi All,

It appears we are moving from a sailboat to an RV and looking into going with an older RV (90's).
Reading online has spooked me a bit about rig type. Hearing about no shoulder and inches between you and a semi make me cringe. Should we focus on making sure we keep our purchase to as narrow a width as possible?

Our goal is to use our hybrid sailing kayak as much as possible (18'). We may roof top her if we decide to not go to too many different locations and focus on staying mainly in La Paz otherwise tow it. Essentially the trip, starting in November, will be 2 months, maybe more, one month in transit with beach camping (Mulege area and surrounding La Paz) and a month or more in La Paz (in which case we will use a dolly/beach wheels to get the kayak to the malecon/beach or slip her at a marina). Also, we are bringing our older, long hair dog.

So here are the questions we are looking for opinions/answers to:

1)If you had to do it over again, on a budget (around $10k) what RV would you buy for baja?

3) If we are towing the yak and it's our primary goal to use it often would you just tow it behind an suv and palapa camp for a couple of weeks and go rent an apt in La Paz for 1.5 or more?

Thanks a lot,
Sailorv

i dont know RVs, but I do know sailing.
first, i dont think $10k is an adequate budget for anything but a worn-out RV, but like i said, i dont know rvs.
if i were doing trip with day sailer in baja, i would trailer a non-kayak type behind a pickup or SUV, and hotel it or get an apt.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:23 PM

Lots of okay, under 100k miles mid 90s RV's in okay to fine condition. Together we have owned several large and small keelboats. Like boats, buying vessels/rvs that can't be financed, need a little work can make for good, solid, safedeals. 10k on an rv, imho, is 25k on say an Islander 36 that has cruising gear. Like a cruising boat, we need the comforts of home while transiting.
We need a kayak sailor for health issues. It is a fun one though!

[/rquote]

i dont know RVs, but I do know sailing.
first, i dont think $10k is an adequate budget for anything but a worn-out RV, but like i said, i dont know rvs.
if i were doing trip with day sailer in baja, i would trailer a non-kayak type behind a pickup or SUV, and hotel it or get an apt.[/rquote]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:34 PM

I don't know why you would need both, a cab over camper and a tent trailer. I am talking about a pick up with a camper on the bed that will be your "home." I love air conditioning but it wont be needed in the months you are going. Google cab overs that I am talking about.
Can the kayak's be mounted on the camper roof? I think I have seem them transported that way and if so, there you go, a home and transportation all in one. If you buy the right kind of overhead, you can take it off the truck and drive the pick up around to explore.
If you have any questions, U2U me.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:51 PM

I think you would be extremely lucky to find a serviceable Class A or C RV for $10k. I think Howard is right in his suggestion. An older RV will have a lot of obsolete systems that present a problem for any handy person in finding spare parts.

image.jpeg - 33kB
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:56 PM

The towed pop up trailer idea has some merit. We have an Evolution E-3 that we tow with our GMC Denali. It's made for rough roads and has "some of the comforts of home". Would be easy to put the yak on top.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-Fleetwood-EVOLUTION-12...

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 02:04 PM

great deals to be had on used motorhomes, everyone wants em with pop-outs these days
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 02:05 PM

I'd keep the max width to 8 feet. Whatever you buy, make sure the shocks, springs, and tires (including the spare tire) are all in a good shape, especially if you're buying a 20-year-old rig.

There are some big potholes and the Mexicans have an annoying habit of putting speed bumps on highways, usually as you enter the small towns. You'll need good running gear if you hit a big pothole or speed bump too fast.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 02:30 PM

Wow, that was fast, thank's everyone!!!

I'm getting nervous justo reading reading your responses,lol.

What about this?
Truck with cabover and tow a pop up tent camper and that doubles as the kayak trailer?
Or...just a truck with cab over and we put the kayak on top of that (we would install an electric windlass to get it up n down).
Could you all see any clearance issues?

Here is a side question: How much are the beach bungalows in places like Bahia Los Angeles and Santispac? And what are temps like in those areas for the month of November and also December? My thinking is maybe we truck camper to keep it low stress and if we can afford to rent a bungalow for a week have space and a/c for us and the pooch?

I don't know sailing but do know RVs. Two things will decide length and features of an RV. Floorplan and how much you're going to use it. Weekend trips vs. camping months at a time.

Class C or A will have no problem driving Baja. Passing a semi or having one pass me is nerve racking but doable. I drive 6 hour days and drink tequila at night.

Many people look a long time for the perfect used RV. Good luck with that.

My Class C is 8.5'' wide which is the max legal limit. Think most RV's are this wide. I tow a car but would get a trailer for a yak rather than hoisting it to the roof of an RV -- which is not a big deal.

Lazy Daze is a quality RV, made in Montclair, CA, and lots of old ones around. You need to drive a Class A and C as they are very different in handling and features.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 04:22 PM

The trouble with A's and C's in Baja is two-fold; you have to 'put away your house' to go anywhere for the day, like the store or town, and secondly there's parking... as you know, Baja towns aren't noted for easy ins and outs, especially lil' quaint pueblos like Mulege. When big rigs (or even medium ones) roll down into town it's a local game to watch them TRY to get out of town, or how long 'till a policia shows up for illegal parking, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, etc.

Also with A's and C's fuel economy is ridiculous. Most of those haulers have a tow-vehicle for the in-town running around, etc... but this will also defeat your budget requirements to do that... having two motor vehicles is not only expensive insurance-wise, but cost-wise of buying both said items and taxes, licenses and especially repairs to both which will be inevitable if you buy old and cheap. They break easy. I'd be looking at a travel van, 3/4 ton with a good large strong engine and a small tow-behind travel trailer for what you've described. You're not 'wintering' for several months, and if you find the right rig (or truck n' pop-up camper shell) with an occasional motel/chower stop you should be fine. Just remember, "Ya gits whatcha pays fer". Wanna go cheap? You can, but you'll pay dearly in the long run. $10k won't buy you squat for an A or C class. 10K doesn't buy squat any more.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 09:23 PM

At $17,900, this 1995 LD with 59,000 miles looks like a solid RV. Graphics look original -- probably been garaged.

This from expert Andy Baird's site http://www.andybaird.com/travels/LD-guide-web/changes.htm#19...

''1995, 22', Chevrolet G30 chassis, GVWR: 10,500 lb., 350 c.i.d./5.7 liter V8 engine or 454 c.i.d./7.5 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, TH400 3-speed auto transmission.''

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/B-%26-L-RV-2898066/listing/...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 11:31 PM

The people we know who van'd or rv'd in Baja said to buy a dog, older, nothing flashy, nothing expensive - it's going to get beat up. It appears most of you feel we are bot going to find anything Baja worthy for 10k. Assuming it sells for 10% off list, and you have 10%-20% for refit/improvements. Really, it is not doable? Why? What's wrong with these for sale?

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/d/minni-winniebago-f...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/d/ford-tioga/62193...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/rvs/d/fleetwood-flair/...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/d/winnebago/622008...

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-14-2017 at 11:51 PM
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 02:25 AM

sailing kayak as much as possible (18'). We may roof top her if we decide to not go to too many different locations and focus on staying mainly in La Paz otherwise tow it. Essentially the trip, starting in November, will be 2 months, maybe more

How much are the beach bungalows in places like Bahia Los Angeles and Santispac? And what are temps like in those areas for the month of November and also December? My thinking is maybe we truck camper to keep it low stress and if we can afford to rent a bungalow for a week have space and a/c for us and the pooch?

Need to get your ducks in row. Being physically present there usually helps. Yes, like in "going there", traveling.

You don't cartop a heavy 18ft kayak on class A, and it will be a pain with class C as well. "possible", not "enjoyable".

"THE trip"? You don't need an RV for once in your lifetime trip.

Alright, assuming there is/was some real interest behind this... Still don't understand why don't you actually go to Baja. With a kayak on top of a pickup. Maybe you won't even like it here.

Alright, "assuming"...

1) Truck camper or 20ft trailer. Either one can be had for ~10K new or in a good condition.

2) I wouldn't tow a kayak on a small trailer. I would make a rack on a pickup and throw it over.

3) I would not tow a kayak. If you already have a serviceable SUV, put a kayak on top. People carry 19ft kayaks on cars and SUV. With an extension bar (I recall Thule calls it Loader Bar) they put it on and take it down without even asking DW to help. If that "hybrid" is more like a dinghy and weighs +80lb, Ok, then DW will help you.

If you still insist on towing - then buy a small trailer. Castlecraft and others have some. Will cost 10 times less than a used RV. Are you sure you had a sailboat, and have a kayak now?

Beach bungalow in Bay de LA costs $50/day. Palapa - few times less. There will be NO a/c in either one. People DON'T run a/c in Baja in November and December.
Quote:
Why? What's wrong with these for sale?

Have any experience in buying a used RV? Or used trucks? Now imagine two in one. Double the pain. Besides, like people noted, Class A and C are not for driving around - they are for traveling few thousand miles and then sitting stationary for a few weeks.

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Alm]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 06:43 AM

If we are towing the yak and it's our primary goal to use it often would you just tow it behind an suv and palapa camp for a couple of weeks and go rent an apt in La Paz for 1.5 or more?

Bingo!! Except I would get a 3/4 ton pickup with an 8 foot cabover camper so you have a place to sleep while on the road. Or maybe a van conversion.

IMHO, stay away from the big, heavy, complicated RVs. They're for smooth, wide, well-maintained highways. Not Baja.

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by SFandH]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

If we are towing the yak and it's our primary goal to use it often would you just tow it behind an suv and palapa camp for a couple of weeks and go rent an apt in La Paz for 1.5 or more?

Bingo!! Except I would get a 3/4 ton pickup with an 8 foot cabover camper so you have a place to sleep while on the road. Or maybe a van conversion.

IMHO, stay away from the big, heavy, complicated RVs. They're for smooth, wide, well-maintained highways. Not Baja.

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by SFandH]

I've written a long post about RVing in Baja but after reading this post, deleted mine and agreeing with this.

I suggest skipping the RV for now. RV when you've done a ton of research, looked at and driven lots of A's and C's and know what you want.

Keeping things simpler is best. 3/4 ton truck, camper and rack for yak.

Negative RV comments might be from non-RV'ers who haven't driven Baja. Lots of RVs on the road, it's just not a big deal.

ALM's post has some excellent suggestions.

F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.