Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: boycot photobucket
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:09 PM
boycot photobucket

Years ago I got the idea from one nomad or another to use photobucket as a host for posting photos in forums.

Now photbucket is asking me for $39.95 a month. 0% chance i will pay to post pictures in a post. They have the most popups and rudest adds.

What is the new way to host photos and post them in your posts?

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by BajaNomad]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 01:34 PM

I am now using a free online photo resizer. Once down sized, I save it to my laptop and then browse and paste to bajanomad.

http://picresize.com/

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 02:25 PM

That's a laugh..They have all your stuff, and you are going to boycott them....Give it up and move on..

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 08:21 PM

I noticed that on other threads, the avatar photo has been replaced by the same notice to upgrade the account.

What it does then, is cause the author column to take up about a third of the normal sized display. Time to delete the avatar, or upgrade.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
That's a laugh..They have all your stuff, and you are going to boycott them....Give it up and move on..

I have all my pictures on my cameras chip as well as on my PC and a flash drive. I can drop photobucket anytime.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I have all my pictures on my cameras chip as well as on my PC and a flash drive. I can drop photobucket anytime.

Exactly, people don't use Photobucket to safely store photos (do they?)! It is more of a hosting site for you to easily share photos with others, and edit them, etc. All my photos are on my PC and most are saved to a portable hard drive if my PC crashes. I share my maps and photos on other forums too and with Photobucket resizing them to 800 pixels and keeping the file space on their site (so no worry about Nomad's 250 kb limit), it was a win-win.

In any case, anything can vanish... and between Flickr, Imgur, and whatever else is out there, we will get by. It will be a bummer to have all the trip reports lose the photos and maps, however. Nothing lasts forever, someone says.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
All my photos are on my PC and most are saved to a portable hard drive if my PC crashes.

Which is hopefully off-site? Religious backups don't do much good when a home fire or other disaster destroys everything in your house.

Current portable drives are small enough to fit into a bank safe deposit box. :light:

google photos......every photo backed up automatically for free!:yes:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

You should be using something like Google Photo's. It backs them up automatically anytime you are on Wi-Fi.

The organizational and sharing features are top shelf. Sorting by facial recognition, super fast and efficient album creation, built in photo editor, etc.

Best photo/video hosting service by a mile.

Also, pops up Rediscover the Day messages periodically linking to old albums, which is really, really cool. Couldn't imagine why ppl aren't using it.

I still use PB to host to 3rd party sites. Google Photos let's you upload direct from there to PB.

Example of Rediscover the Day:

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by JZ]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 12:56 PM

All my photos are on my PC and most are saved to a portable hard drive if my PC crashes.

Which is hopefully off-site? Religious backups don't do much good when a home fire or other disaster destroys everything in your house.

Current portable drives are small enough to fit into a bank safe deposit box. :light:

-
Google Photos bro. You can access 50+ years worth of photos on your phone in seconds. Remember a thanksgiving memory from 1974, pull it up in seconds.

Apple has it too, but Google is better.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Google Photos bro.

No thanks.

I have watched Google closely from their outset. I admire the company-- a lot-- both for their technology and business model.

But I have no illusions that they are my friend.

Smh at how stubborn and resistant to tech some ppl are. Big mistake.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

-
Google Photos bro. You can access 50+ years worth of photos on your phone in seconds. Remember a thanksgiving memory from 1974, pull it up in seconds.

Apple has it too, but Google is better.

Totally agree. You can access your photos instantly on your phone, tablet or computer. Synchs automatically.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 02:15 PM

I post this image right of my desk top. You may see that I no longer have an avatar.

sized down .JPG - 113kB
Campo Naranjo April 2017

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Marc]

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Marc]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

Years ago I got the idea from one nomad or another to use photobucket as a host for posting photos in forums.

Now photbucket is asking me for $39.95 a month. 0% chance i will pay to post pictures in a post. They have the most popups and rudest adds.

What is the new way to host photos and post them in your posts?

Here's an idea, ask for a refund, bwahahaha! I'm sure you have "used" photo bucket for yrs and haven't paid a dime, correct? Disclaimer, a very close friend owns photo bucket and has for yrs, 15-16? He lost money and struggled for a very long time. Please don't bash the site in a public forum just because you want to continue and ride a free gravy train. Thanks!

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by BajaNomad]

Making America Great Again
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 09:34 PM

Google Photos Test, 4 attempts:

NOPE... none of the image links Google provides wants to open here.

Any help from you Google users would be welcomed.

It's for photo backup of your entire album, not 3rd partying hosting to sites.

It is literally 100x better at photo backup, organization, albums, etc. than FB.

For 3rd party hosting to boards, it allows you to directly upload to FB.

For someone that likes to pull up old photos fast, it's crazy that you don't have a Google Photos account with all your stuff.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 06:16 AM

I am looking for photo hosting so my saved images can be shared, enjoyed, utilized by others who see them on forums.

Apparently, photo hosting sites are not interested in acting as content servers for other websites, for free.

You could use vivabaja.com to store photos you want to display on message boards.

From your server by linking to the photo:

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by SFandH]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 09:53 AM

I have an odd thing happening with photobucket. When I try to choose a picture or image from my document file on my pc thru photobucket the document file only shows the 25 folder files I have not the single files, if that makes sense. If I type the single file name it will come up most of the time but not always.

I think it is a windows 10 thing. I don't have that problem with either of my laptops which are windows 7. Did I tell you I hate windows 10 for many reasons.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 10:15 AM

no mas ventanas....chromebook! ;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 10:55 AM

My website is only modified by my web manager, who speaks html. He fears I could mess up the page, so I do not dare add to it. I wish it was as easy as using it to store photos.

"Web manager"? :lol:

It is as easy: If he's worried about you messing up "your" site, have him create a dedicated directory for your photos apart from the other site content, and only permit you access to that directory (and any subdirectories thereof).

Assuming you're already paying for the hosting on that server and have adequate space and bandwidth allowances, it's silly not to use it for this purpose. :rolleyes:

Edit: typo

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by lencho]

I will send him your message. Thanks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 12:11 PM

I will send him your message. Thanks.

You need to fire them asap. I've looked through your sites and they are 90's format. You can redo them yourself in an afternoon using Squarespace and have a nice modern, clean look.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 01:06 PM

google photos test.

No worky ? Help JZ!

How do I get the photo not a link to show here?

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by chippy]

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by chippy]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.