BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A definite highlight 8/5 update -donations!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 09:28 AM

Blanca - you truly make a difference in a very big way. So glad for your and your students' successes.
Re: "... with material yours truly created. Material I collected over the years. A manual I invented"
I see all types of workbooks, teacher guides all the time. What would help you? What can I look for?
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 09:34 AM

Fantastic Blanca!!!

[Edited on 7-22-2017 by Mexitron]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Well, you surely can't win them all.

Adriana, who was going to major in Psychology, came by to tell me that she is pregnant.

Can you believe it? So many warnings to be careful but she didn't listen. All the kids know that if they get pregnant or get someone pregnant, they are disqualified from the scholarship program that very second.

The ramifications for her are huge and for the boyfriend as well. I did wish her luck....and that is the end of that.

Sad to hear that the young lady will not be able to take advantage of the scholarship program. Hope that things turn out ok for her in the long run. You did what you could. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 08:10 AM

wilderone - I retired! Over and done with official teaching but I told ALL the students that they could come any day, any time and have free English classes with me and two have been coming for the last two weeks. I told them that they will be successes in Life because they are already a success by coming to class over summer vacation.

After the first day, I gave them a Frisbee - and these kids are naturals!

Adriana - such a sad outcome to what could have been a real change in her life. I blame her bfriend Alvaro as much as her. I have not heard how they plan to handle this as he is off to college as well, to the mainland as his family can afford to pay for expenses anywhere he chose.

1.jpg - 130kB

2.jpg - 144kB

3.jpg - 161kB

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 01:34 PM

Here is Alfonso (known as Poncho) who was my student in high school in 2012. One day, he and another high school senior stop by and upon chatting, I find out that the both of them dropped out of school. Alfonso's dad is an alcoholic construction worker, could really care less whether Alfonso goes to school or not but I am really disturbed that they are not going to school.

A couple days later, on a Wednesday afternoon, they are sitting again and chatting with me on the porch of our B&B. I am so perturbed that they are "wasting time" on a schoolday, that I suggest that they get jobs at the local fish plant. You have made a choice, by not going to school and onto college. You might as well start acting on that choice right away and at least have some cash in your pocket.

Cash in pocket did the trick. They indeed went to the cooperative and were hired. About 2 weeks later they come by, sit on the porch, and ask if I can help them get back into school. One looked me in the eye and said "I will never step into that freezer again!" It was hotter than heck that summer and they were working in the freezer with huge jackets, cleaning it out. Here at the plant, you start out at the bottom of the ladder - cleaning out stinky freezers!

The photo here is Alfonso, who came to visit me the other day. He is now a senior in college, about to finish up his last year. He belongs to the very first group of students whom we sponsored to head off to college. He is studying International Business in La Paz.

Alfonso made the mistake of leaving English to the last minute (senior year) and now he doesn't remember much and won't graduate unless he can pass all the different levels. With sponsorship (thank you Dave) , we put him in a private school and there went his summer vacation. When he said he had a week off and was coming to La Bocana, I asked him to come over for me to verify that our money was being well spent.

It was! It is! He gets it now. So pleased with his progress! Notice in the photo that he has a new notebook in hand, we had 3 days of classes and will continue next week. Then he goes back to La Paz to finish the special English class.

Another great day in La Bocana

rsz_mix_001A.jpg - 128kB

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 02:05 PM

Twice a year, as sponsor manager for the students, I have a double whammy - tuitions and rent/utitilities/transporation monies have to come in and be disbursed to each student. At 19 full time 100% sponsored students, most with 2 different sponsors (one for rent and separate one for tuition fees), this is my Sleepless in La Bocana time!

I am honored to have this project, I truly feel that the Lord chose me, blessed me! But poor Les can't even talk to me during these 2 weeks I work on making sure everything is right - All I can do is say when he ventures to ask something is "sorry hon, I am very busy!" My eyes are glazed over.

So, this photo is of our kitchen island -don't ask me why - this is the place where I lay everything out and it becomes off limits for cooking LOL No matter that I have a huge table and a huge desk in my office. Quirks. The island works miracles.

MESSY TABLE A.jpg - 105kB

Come visit La Bocana

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 08:56 PM

As many have already said, Well done!

Teachers and mentors are what make the world a better place, congratulations on all your successes!
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 10:46 AM

Those who choose to educate our youth deserve special praise. It, obviously, is not for the money.

It stems from a special place within their hearts that drives them to dedicate their lives to others.

Teachers direct the future for all and should be compensated for the true value they provide for future generations to come.

Blanca, I would bet that some of your students will carry on what you have shown them through your selfless efforts. That has to be a reward unto itself when your former students return to give their lives to others in the same profession.

Good on you Blanca for all you have done for future generations. There should be many teachers to come because of you.

Thanks to all here.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 09:28 AM

Congrats to all !

Good people doing good things is what makes life worth living.

Teachers ARE truly special people.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 10:12 AM

Blanca,
When you come up north, please consider talking with some of the folks in the Bajamar scholarship fund about the manner they deal with abusive parental scenarios.

The 48 current students supported have had their share of challenges over the years.

If those in BCN would like to know more, here is the link

http://www.bajascholarshipfoundation.org/

Es Todo Bueno
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 06:23 PM

I would be happy to talk to your group. Please email me more info about how I might help. I will u2u my email address.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 06:50 PM
the organizer in La Bocana

So, my mom is visiting and we are (I mean .... she is) organizing all the clothes shoes household goods that I have bought, she has bought, people have donated since January.

This is a major project! She is awesome! What would I do without this natural born organizer? We found that we are missing boys shorts small and medium. boys dress shirts since 3 of them will be entering the work force in July 2018! and sneakers of all sizes for boys and girls.

Mom 1.jpg - 90kB

Mom 2.jpg - 91kB

xmas prep 1.jpg - 129kB

xmas prep 2.jpg - 132kB

Come visit La Bocana

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 12:53 PM

Blanca you must have gotten your work ethic from your mom. She is a real go getter, collecting all the stuff she sends you.

Again, thanks for all you do.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 03:05 PM

You are so right. She has been the ideal role model! But her forte is organizing and mine is time management (teachers are real good at that).

She brought up 4 kids on her own when our dad walked out on us. Truly a feat.

Recently, one of her friends from Miami (where we spent many years til we moved to Rio de Janeiro where she is from) told her that at the time she was fighting to raise us, she thought she was a hero.

She is.

Anyone who has a chance to spend some time with her can consider themselves lucky IMO

Thanks Tom for the kind words.

[Edited on 8-12-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 09:20 PM

Gracias for all you do Blanca!
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 06:57 AM

Do you per chance know Judy Kesson?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 09:54 PM

No. Should I?

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 09:31 AM
Wishes come true!

August 5th.....update

God loves me so much and answers most of my prayers really fast but this one took the cake! Remember that the other day I posted about Mom and how she organized all the clothes shoes dishes for the scholarship xmas party? and how we realized that we were going to need more shorts?

The very next morning, Bruce from Canada arrived with SHORTS that his wife Edna bought! Not only that, Edna also sent baseball equipment. I have some kids who asked for English classes and are studying with me in the mornings (I guess I kinda fudged on the retirement statement eh?) and I have given them a reward for being so responsible on their vacation. Yesterday they got a baseball bat each! I thought their eyes would pop out of their head!

so fun being Santa Clausa !!

Thanks universe for conspiring to help me!

rsz_mix_008.jpg - 105kB

rsz_mix_018.jpg - 124kB

rsz_baseball_donation_bruce_aug_17_001.jpg - 107kB

rsz_mix_013.jpg - 104kB

rsz_kids_with_bats_from_edna.jpg - 62kB

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.