BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Full Mex Auto Ins vs Liability?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 03:32 PM
Full Mex Auto Ins vs Liability?

Opinions on when to go with a Mex Auto Liability policy,
compared to full coverage, on a annual policy. I suppose
it depends on the risk one want's to take, but at what value
of one's vehicle would it make sense to drop full coverage?
I'm going with the assumption that a good % of Mex plated
vehicles are uninsured, no offense to anyone, nor do I have
any facts to back up that assumption, so an accident would
more than likely result in the loss of the vehicle
thanks for your time

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 03:46 PM

Few years back I hit a rock on the highway outside of La Paz. Destroyed the tire and rim and caused the 5 year old Toyota truck to roll. I was fine, got lots of help from locals driving by. Tow truck towed vehicle back to house in Todos Santos. Front differential and axles were destroyed along with body damage. I had only liability for Mexico, sucked it up. Sold truck to a local who fixed it up and imported it. New 4Runner was hit later in La Paz (uninsured driver) in Marina de la Paz parking lot. Adjuster came out, took photos, I had it repaired in the U.S. paid for by my Mexican insurance (Vagabundos del Mar). I sleep better now with full coverage.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 04:31 PM

Some American insurance companies cover your vehicle if you are within a certain distance from the border. Allstate it is 75 miles. They cover your vehicle only not liability when in Mexico.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 04:43 PM

When? As soon as you can walk away from the value of the POS after an event! Does liability include a lawyer and bail?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
thanks for your time

you can probably do your own risk analysis. new cars are worth insuring. old cars, ask yourself if it worth fixing an old car that probably has low book value.
i always get the bail (get out of jail) coverage - who knows if it really works, but it sounds good!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 05:53 PM

So, if you buy Mexican insurance with collision coverage, do you have to get the car fixed in Mexico?

I always buy the minimum liability and take my chances. But my old Ford pickup isn't worth much.

[Edited on 7-21-2017 by SFandH]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 07:48 PM

I have an annual policy with HDI Seguros on both trucks and they say it can be fixed in the US.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 10:27 PM

On my Ca plated Tacoma 2 months old 10 grand in repairs they only allowed it repair in Mexico. That was my work before retiring.They did in fact use all factory parts.No china junk did a good job. On my Mexican plated Nissan Diesel (2014) full coverage free tow both country's less then $400.00 a year. There is one catch to it if its totaled or stolen after Delectable I get less then 8 grand. With mods I got 30K in the truck still wroth $400 a year to get back 8 grand but not fair.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 08:47 AM

thanks for your time

If somebody hits you, and they don't have auto insurance, and you only have
liability insurance. It doesn't mean that you will necessarily suffer a total lost. Most auto insurance polices also have, "uninsured Motorist Insurance" and many states in the US require it, and your auto insurance will take care of your medical costs, and pay a limited amount to get your car fixed.

In Mexico, "uninsured motorist insurance" will probably not pay for your car damage, unless you get the full insurance, but it may pay for your medical.

If you get into an accident within certain miles in Mexico, you may be able to get your US auto insurance to fix your auto damage, under the "uninsured motorist insurance policy,: even if you only have liability insurance, just make sure you get the other guys licence plate.

Since I used to have kids on my auto insurance policy, the point where I would get pass full auto coverage was about about $7,000 dollars.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
So, if you buy Mexican insurance with collision coverage, do you have to get the car fixed in Mexico?

I always buy the minimum liability and take my chances. But my old Ford pickup isn't worth much.

[Edited on 7-21-2017 by SFandH]

HDI, what I have, (sold by Baja Bound and Discover Baja) covers repairs made in the U.S. Others may too, so check? Full coverage is the only option (as my truck is still financed) and that includes "Legal Aid" for the attorney should one be needed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 07:22 AM

I would venture to say your take on this is correct. Why do you think there are so many hit & run accidents (including fatal) and abandoned vehicles after an accident. Also added to the mix is the number of unlicensed drivers and illegal ("chocolate") vehicles.......

My vote is for full coverage and the legal representation that comes with it

any facts to back up that assumption
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 06:57 PM

The question was - at what value to drop full coverage.

Like others said, - it's up to you. I would not pay for a full cover if vehicle is worth less than 5K, but I don't commute on Hwy1 often, rarely go over 55, and ALWAYS slow down when an 8-wheeler is coming towards me, or before a turn or crest with limited visibility.

Legal representation comes with a liability coverage as well.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.