BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for ATV tires
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 10:57 AM
Looking for ATV tires

I have a Polaris 700 Sportsman and looking for new tires for her. I ride maybe 50/50 on dirt and pavement.
The sizes are
AT 270/80 R12 (replaces AT25X11-12
and
AT 205/80 R12 (replaces AT25X8-12)

Any suggestions on brand, etc. would be appreciated. I can buy them up in the states or if they are close in price, I prefer to buy them in Baja.
Anyone, anyone?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 11:02 AM

Complete sets on EBAY have been the choice for me...Price and selection...Delivery? dunno

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 11:22 AM

Motoworld in El Cajon price matched me off my Internet Search.
Found a killer deal on mine for the Polaris and they matched. had them in from their warehouse in two days.

Alan
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 11:43 AM

I think I passed a big ATV store on the highway near Home Depot in Ensenada.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I think I passed a big ATV store on the highway near Home Depot in Ensenada

or was that A tv store? : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 12:02 PM

I found them at the new Tersa tire shop in Loreto but they were twice the cost of comparable tires in the US. I intend to bring down a set for my Polaris 500. Hope there is not a problem bringing unmounted ATV tires across the border.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 01:31 PM

I've always found the best deals at Rocky Mtn. ATV. Be sure and look at their close out section.

I have a friend who bought the Kendra Bear Claw tire. He paid around 60.00/tire and they have lasted him 3 years with quite a bit of tread left in probably 65/35 pavement to dirt riding.

One of the amazing things about these tires is that they came to him compressed into a small bundle with a steel band around them. he couldnt believe it was TWO tires. About the size of a box of wine. This made them very easy to, uh, surreptitiously carry them across the border into MX. Yes, they will charge you the 16% if they see ATV tires off an ATV in your vehicle. I know, because I have paid it, but it is still worth buying in the US and paying the duty (by far).

These Kendras are NOT radials, they are bias ply tires. They are six ply.

My most recent tires are Tusk Trilobites. They are reasonably priced at around 80.00/tire and ride great. Some people compare them favorably to the extremely expensive Maxxis Bighorns which start at around 130.00. These were not bundled with the steel band; they were very evident in the back of my truck and I paid the duty of about 12.00/tire.

What's the big deal? Just pay the duty, if you have to.

Fine wine, excepted, of course. I should be issued a CCW (carry concealed WINE) permit, for as much as I bring down. My current record in the truck and Lance is the equivalent of 56 750ml bottles. Some of that was box wine. There is decent box wine, especially chards and pinot grigios. Very easy to, uh, surreptitiously.................especially if you remove the bladder from the box and put them in your clothing duffel or elsewhere. Just flatten the boxes and carry them down in some other corner. Keep the used boxes down there and you can re-insert new bladders that you bring down in subsequent trips. This is a part time resident kind of thing.

I suppose if they find your bladders of chard or grigio, you could probably tell them you are taking urine samples down to a lab in Mexico because it is so much cheaper.

But I digress..............

[Edited on 7-21-2017 by Hook]
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 01:40 PM

I have the Tusk Trilobites on my Ranger as well and am really happy with them. I am in Utah so Rocky Mountain ATV is so close I get my orders the next day.

You can find stock Polaris wheels for next to nothing in the classifieds so I would mount the new tires on some raggedy wheels to get across the border - they have never questioned me about mounted spares or charged me duty - and then just get your local llanteria to pop them on your regular wheels

Andy
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 03:23 PM

want another reason to buy from RM ATV? our man...EL CHUPACABRE!:yes:
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 08:39 PM

Rocky Mountain is where i got my internet prices, and Motoworld matched, even beat them by a bit
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 08:49 PM

I like Rocky Mtn. ATV too. Got a set of Maxxis for my Rincon from them -- it was a toss up with the Kenda's -- can't go wrong with either. Don't settle for less.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 09:11 AM

i would suggest 8 ply
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 09:35 PM

50/50 dirt/pavement ATV riding can get by with 4 ply. 8 ply is serious over-kill in ride, weight and cost for dirt/pavement. Maxxis Bighorn's get me up steep, loose rock trails -- not the best tire for pavement. Off-road tires are not good on pavement.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 06:15 AM

I did go with a set of street tires for a few years. They wore much better and I never got stuck with them, but I didnt really challenge them. Mostly dirt roads.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.