Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Have books to donate
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 10:11 AM
Have books to donate

Many years ago, Antonio of Baja Cactus was discussing renovations to his hotel, and there was some discussion about incorporating a small lending library. Toward contributing to this, I collected a couple boxes of books, both in English and Spanish, pertinent to the traveler. I did deliver one box of books to Baja Cactus. However, over the years, with the road construction in front, developing a lending system, and other more pressing matters, it appears that Antonio's library won't happen anytime soon.
I would really like to get these boxes of books out of my house. Could somebody recommend a small town Baja library that would like to have these books. Also, if anyone is heading down and would like to pick them up from me in San Diego and deliver them to their new home, that would be great. Don't know when I'm headed to Baja next - Yellowstone here I come! BTW, leaving for 2 weeks, reply may be delayed. Thanks a bunch.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 11:26 AM

I bring this up within Antonio often... Many of us donated books as have some Baja authors. Antonio still has them and is keeping them safe for when such a lounge is set up. The concern is that there is no way to prevent the books from "growing legs" and Antonio does not want them to be taken. The Baja Cactus Restaurant is the next project and will be built between the Pemex and the motel, in front. A guest lounge/reading room is still in the grand plan.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 12:31 PM

actually people don't bring books with them on vacation anymore...

the kindle and cell phones hold thousands of books

no need to haul that old technology around anymore

a reading room would be a waste of money for Antonio

a bar now is a different animal...$$$
the restaurant doesn't make a lot...the drinks do

[Edited on 7-22-2017 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 12:42 PM

Bob, these classic Baja books are NOT in e-book format. Unless you know something?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 12:48 PM

of course...but time marches on...

the days of the old paper book is almost over

the internet is here : )
and amazon

our website is:
Bajabuff

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 01:31 PM

There is a community library in La Mision near the Delegado's office more or less across the road from Oscar's Market
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 03:57 PM

I'll keep the La Mision library in mind - thanks - not too far from San Diego.
As for books vs. Kindles and phones, many people like books. And some people don't have electronics on vacation. My books in Spanish are kids' books, a few art books, novels, People mag in Spanish. Antonio can leave travel books on a central table for browsing, along with a cup of coffee or beer - order a basket of chips/salsa; I have a sportfishing DVD he could play in the background; some fishing mags. He could even sell them cheap as a goodwill gesture, stimulate some interest in other facets of Baja simply because they will BE THERE - you don't have to peck away to specifically find something and then read in a 3"x4" format. Don't people get sick of themselves with that little device in their hand all the time? Oblivious to the world going on around them? Books are still relevant. I am bringing two paperbacks with me on my trip next week. Nothing like finishing the day tucked away in a tent, with a glass a wine, a good book, and the silence of the wilderness under the glow of a solar-powered lantern.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

and amazon

Some of us are not "moving on". I have never read a book "on line" in my life, and have no intention of doing so in the future. I love having a printed book in my lap to read, peruse, re-read pages, etc. etc. My wife who is much younger than I, has a Kindle, a Tablet, and a cell-phone. She use to use all 3. I have noticed that for the last year she never uses the Kindle and the Tablet anymore, and is back to the paper books and reads them all the time. I have not asked her why. LOL

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

and amazon

:lol: ahhhh, brings back memories of BOB explaining to captkw how 2stroke technology is dead!

[Edited on 7-23-2017 by willardguy]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 04:13 AM

everyone takes a phone on vacation...
phones have internet data capability...
very few take laptops anymore
very very few have "wood books" with them

"wood books" are a thing of the past...only for the old
libraries are closing all over...no need for stacks of books
2 stroke technology is dead...4 stroke is the accepted engine

just about every person in mulege has a cell phone
whether it works or not depends on the money available that week
every phone takes video and pictures
I see very few "old style" cameras

you old guys need to adapt
dinosaurs are extinct

investing in a "wood book world" would be a failure
look ahead...move on

today go to the mall...look at the young people...see what they are doing...
answer: looking at their phone
not one person will be carrying a "wood book"
then go to the "new boat store"
not one new boat has a 2 stroke

adapt...

our website is:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 06:30 AM

"today go to the mall...look at the young people...see what they are doing..."
I do see. IMO very sad. They don't talk to each other. Obsessed with documenting their every move online to - what? - attempt to validate their existence? Instead of living their lives? And why would someone be carrying around a book at a shopping mall? Adapt? Kill me now.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 06:37 AM

in the "old days" people would be sitting on benches reading a book...
sometimes on a shopping center bench
not now

sorry...

our website is:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 07:14 AM

WOW! Some of the things we learn on this forum! Are useless..

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 07:44 AM

Bob, I think we are discussing two different concepts or book types. Novels (story books) may be what you are describing?
Wilderone and I are talking about Baja history, travel, information books that were donated or to be donated to Antonio's Baja California Reference Library. I don't know of many of these that are e-books.

These books are/were a reference to learn about a place or something found in Baja. My 2016 book about the missions, for example. It is a combo history of the missions and the Spanish discovery before them, and travel guide to the missions.

It could be an e-book, but with Internet service not available everywhere in Baja, one would need to print the pages of interest for their trip to the missions or to read about them while in Baja.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 09:39 AM

internet is available everywhere in baja...sorry david

if you are worried no one will read your books you should make them e-books

you are suggesting that baja cactus needs a reading room...
and a book storage area
I think that's a waste of Antonio's money

we are talking about the same thing...you just aren't listening

our website is:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 09:44 AM

There is no Internet in most of the places I go exploring and where I would want to see mileage or historical details. Not everything is along Hwy. 1 near cell towers.
Get out and explore! I am not worried about anything, by-the-way.
Is it time for a Pacifico?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 09:46 AM

if you don't have internet where you go then you have the WRONG equipment

SATs cover all of baja today

our website is:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 10:51 AM

Now if we can just come up with reliable, portable campfire simulators, we can get rid of those nuisance smokey things!

I would also like an app on my smart phone to save me the trouble of telling a story or joke. You will also need one that can laugh for you, or call bullsh!t.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 01:05 PM

All I have to say is thank goodness for Kindles!! What a wonderful invention. Thank you, Jeff Bezos, for eliminating/decreasing the need for bulky, heavy books, book stores, pulp mills, ink, and all the money it costs to print, transport, and sell paper books.

The convenience is incredible. I'll read or hear on the radio a review of a book that I decide I want and 5 minutes later I have it for a price less than the printed version. Drive to a bookstore? Wait days for a mail order? No thanks.

ebooks are lighter to hold, have built in dictionaries where you simply touch the word and the definition pops up, can hold 100s of volumes, have perfect backlighting, adjustable font, etc. etc. etc. One device holds books, newspapers, magazines, documents.

When I'm in Baja for the winter I usually buy a new book and a couple of newspapers every week or so when we go to town for supplies and to check email. I couldn't do that without my Kindle. You can't buy books in most places in Baja. And, I certainly couldn't buy beforehand what books I'm going to read for the next several months because I don't know.

And of course, you don't need to have an Internet connection to read an e-book and you are not "reading online" as some have implied.

However, if the book you're interested in requires photos, maps, charts, graphs etc., you're stuck with paper books or reading the e-book on a tablet or laptop. But for regular reading, e-books are far superior.

e-book evangelist and Amazon shareholder. ;)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 03:34 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that. From here on out, I'll talk about "licensing" instead of "buying" when I'm evangelizing.

[Edited on 7-23-2017 by SFandH]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.