Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Have books to donate
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 04:04 PM

ohfercrissake - obviously different people have different preferences for different reasons with different priorities and different budgets, with different interests that may or may not require an actual book. Amen.
" a reading room..."???? Socializing? Discussing? "Gathering places" (the new buzz word to green-light civic projects) ? Isn't that what Starbucks is all about? Why isn't everyone at home with their devices reading by themselves - I don't think it's because they all need that $4.00 cup of coffee. And expecially in a motel when you're traveling - sharing information, meeting other travelers. A space rich with intellectual, comfortable, charming effects - a shelfful of books, beverages, snacks, trinkets for sale, some used books real cheap - yes, a huge asset for travelers. Or Plan B - a nice little rural library where there's a few expats who'd like to check out a book in English; or Mexican families who don't have a kindle. I think there are a few people who might benefit.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 04:43 PM

over 50% of americans own an e-reader...amazing

the rest have a smart phone...most people in baja own a phone

starbucks...its about the coffee and drinks not the seating area
and all those people are on electronic devices

sometimes I wonder where a "used book" has been...
maybe the restroom!!!
maybe THOSE books should be MARKED!!!
yikes

no need for used books here...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 06:36 PM

that light just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer bob :(
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 06:46 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/27/media/ebooks-sales-real-book...

According to this article the real paper book market is far from dead. I use both e-reader and old fashioned books and each has its place. E-reader is great for travel.

The most disturbing thing in this article is the final sentence pointing out that 25% of those polled had not read a book of any sort in the past year.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

maybe the restroom!!!
yikes

Somehow I have survived 73 years without contracting any illness that I am aware of from the thousands of library and used books that I have handled.

I am an avid reader and while not fussy about format I prefer paper. Same with newspapers, much cheaper online and I like to have my favorites available no matter where I am but my preference is still to start the day with good coffee and a real newspaper.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

maybe the restroom!!!
yikes

2nd biggest bunch of boolchit on the boards. :rolleyes:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 10:51 PM

Agree with everything SF&H says about the Kindle. I have hundreds of books on my Kindle and also have a library of a couple of walls full of books purchased over the years. Traveling with it is far easier to bring along months of reading in a compact package. The only downside for me with a Kindle is being able to back up quickly to find some information I had read earlier to clarify, which I find easier with hard copy. Kind of like a GPS vs a hard copy map.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2017 at 11:04 PM

Wilderone (I think) is talking about books about Baja for local interest, research, education, travel assistance and not casual paperback novels to pass the time.

Are any of these collectible Baja books on Kindel or the Internet (even if cell phones worked all over Baja with satellite feeds ... is there any such thing)???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 09:21 AM

I want to thank WilderOne for starting this thread and for coordinating the donation of kids books. I had a high school reunion in L.A. and a fellow graduate who lives near WilderOne picked up two banker's boxes of kids books from her and delivered them to me at the reunion. They will go to the ever expanding library at foster/orphan home Casa Hogar el Altisimo A.C. in Mulege. Kids need to do something besides watch TV, and reading is the perfect activity. Its great to step over bodies in their salon when they all have their noses in books!!

Thanks WilderOne!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 10:38 AM

We can thank Jeff Bezos for selling us Kindles, but that is about all. The idea goes back a long ways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 04:06 PM

Rancho Meling (Meling Guest Ranch) has a game room/library. Off the grid, so books are a nice thing to have.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 03:40 PM

I agree with many of you who think a real book, one with pages and a cover, is the only way to go ( sorry Bob and Susan) I have a library of over 3,000 books at my home in Baja, and all of my neighbors and travelers who stop by constantly visit and borrow them. I know some people prefer the electronic stuff, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. For reasons already stated on this thread, I find real books much more personable and enjoyable. It would be nice if Antonio and others would keep a small library for both casual reads and for reference.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by marv sherrill]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.