Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What other baja sites do you use
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 04:51 PM
What other baja sites do you use

so reading about the support problems on this forum. What other forums are out there? is this forum going to slowly die? Can DavidK or someone else take it over?
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 05:01 PM

Talk Baja addressed the photo situation today and why he changed the format over to Facebook.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 05:02 PM

Talk Baja seems to be a civil place to go for real information, Does a good job of managing. This forum seems to be a continual rehash of the same stuff...by the same people...I

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
Talk Baja addressed the photo situation today and why he changed the format over to Facebook.

Just looked. Wow...someone went off the deep end and was very abusive. Seems to be from this site and does not represent it well. There were a lot of good points made. How does one take those to improve this site (other than a good full time monitor who will boot those that go off-topic...and maybe removal of the off-topic portion? Can someone take over the site that will rehost the site on a modern platform (as Doug suggested but does not have time to do)?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 06:00 PM
Facebook - Talk Baja

Is Talk Baja only a Facebook version or is there a discussion board such as we have here on Nomad? I didn't see other than facebook.

John M
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 07:40 PM

There are other sites? :?:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 07:48 PM

Talk Baja is a poor format. Instead of reading post titles and skipping the fluff, you have to scroll thru the fluff to find an occasional post worth reading. I rarely look at talk baja, because the posts are mostly inane questions by newbies, and numerous boring posts about road queries/conditions, flea bag dogs and sunset pictures. Hard to wade thru that fluff to find something of interest.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Talk Baja is a poor format. Instead of reading post titles and skipping the fluff, you have to scroll thru the fluff to find an occasional post worth reading. I rarely look at talk baja, because the posts are mostly inane questions by newbies, and numerous boring posts about road queries/conditions, flea bag dogs and sunset pictures. Hard to wade thru that fluff to find something of interest.

Now there is a gem. why would anyone want baja road conditions on a baja site when they can have a great off-topic discussion with the mountain goat. Goaty, weren't you a newbie once? Are you still a newbie when it comes to Baja?
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 08:15 PM

lets see...wait a minute...this is not about the goat or facebook. Mr Doug says that the software platform is no longer supportable. This about what can be done for this site...or do we go somewhere else for BAJA information.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 08:29 PM

Don't care for FB or TB and the format sucks. Got all the info I need right here. If someone doesn't get what they need here, they move on. Anything rehashed is probably useful to newbies. Lots of nomads here are willing to help people needing answers -- and they do it with patience. DK comes to mind along with many others.

Everything changes and this site is no different. Whatever Doug is up to is good. Enjoy it while it's here -- as one day it'll be a memory. Like the Brothers in Nam use to say: ain't no thang.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 08:41 PM

I really like this site. I have planned and enjoyed trips all the more due to tips everyone gave us. I have been given medical info -real life info - invaluable. The history! The maps! The laughter. The donations .... dudes and dudettes, I could go on and on.

The photos issue was solved for me. That all my past posts have no photos is devastating, oh well. I am over it already.

I do look at Talk Baja once in a while, precisely for the sunrise and sunset shots. To see what questions are being posed and how they are answered.

I hope this forum NEVER goes away. It would leave a big hole for me ... I love seeing/reading about what everyone is up to. We are so remote, this is my lifeline to what is up north and south of us.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 09:10 PM

There needs to be a dedicated site on the HWY 5 road conditions. Daily updates should be required... the road construction just moves so quickly, we need to be up to date with the latest news.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 09:40 PM
Baja Nomad is My Place

To find out about the entire Baja Peninsula in general; an 800 mile stretch of land. The information posted and the points of view are pretty much balanced out by discussion - democracy at its finest.

The other websites seen to be slanted towards a locked-in viewpoint.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 11:14 PM

The only thing I noted is that the current software is no longer being updated and that going forward a new platform would be needed - and would have to be migrated to - and that I had been evaluating options (as well as vision).

Also, as noted on Talk Baja, storage space is faster and cheaper than ever before.

Stop trolling. Jeeeze....

:light:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 02:18 AM

Not trolling, geeze. I never once said anything about facebook. Too me that was not the issue. Didn't you say you needed to evaluate options? Everyone is so sensitive here.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:28 AM

I am surprised there isnt another Baja Forum but it takes alot of time and effort to design and maintain one which is why most of us are very thankful Doug has provided this service for us.

This Forum is like an old friend...not perfect in every way but a comforting and reliable one....one who provides laughter, insight, information and company. I have had the pleasure of meeting many Nomads in person, some of whom have become life-long friends and this forum enables us to communicate and keep up with each other's lives and opinions.

I much prefer it over the facebook pages as we can have actual meaningful conversations with people and choose what threads we want to take the time to look at. FAcebook just scrolls past way too fast so one may miss something unless they are on it all the time scrolling scrolling scrolling...whereas here we can just check in occasionally and get all the scrumptious baja juice we want.
Yes the software may be outdated....but so am I so it suits me just fine! gracias Doug for all you do....have a great day my NOmad amigos!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:23 AM

Facebook and message boards are two different types of software. You can't replace one with the other and have the same functionality.

There is a link near the bottom of this page to XMB Forum Software, the software this message board uses. It's open source (free) software that can be modified to one's liking once it is downloaded and installed on a server. The task takes some technical expertise and once it is running an admin is needed to watch over it and perform whatever level of moderation of posts s/he desires. It uses PHP and MySQL, a programming language / database management system that is very popular and used worldwide throughout the web for all sorts of websites. Most website hosting businesses already have them (PHP/MySQL) installed on their servers for customers to use.

It would be a good skillset (HTML/PHP/MySQL/Javascript) to learn for a young programmer who needs to build his resume.

P.S. If I were in charge I would eliminate the capabilities of using images and large/colored fonts in the off-topic threads. ;)

[Edited on 7-26-2017 by SFandH]
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I am surprised there isnt another Baja Forum but it takes alot of time and effort to design and maintain one which is why most of us are very thankful Doug has provided this service for us.

This Forum is like an old friend...not perfect in every way but a comforting and reliable one....one who provides laughter, insight, information and company. I have had the pleasure of meeting many Nomads in person, some of whom have become life-long friends and this forum enables us to communicate and keep up with each other's lives and opinions.

I much prefer it over the facebook pages as we can have actual meaningful conversations with people and choose what threads we want to take the time to look at. FAcebook just scrolls past way too fast so one may miss something unless they are on it all the time scrolling scrolling scrolling...whereas here we can just check in occasionally and get all the scrumptious baja juice we want.
Yes the software may be outdated....but so am I so it suits me just fine! gracias Doug for all you do....have a great day my NOmad amigos!

I agree completely with Shari and Blanca, the Nomads board has been a great resource for me over the years and I have met quite a few Nomads face to face. There's not one who I wouldn't enjoy sitting around a campfire with. I appreciate Doug's efforts in keeping this site going.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:55 AM

Yes, Doug does a great service!
And best of all this site continues to operate with little advertising distraction and no popups!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 09:21 AM

I really dont like the Facebook formatting style, either. Discussion boards, organized by subject area, are much easier to find information and much easier to read for me. I find Talk Baja too disjointed.

Truth be told, I would actually pay a modest fee per year to keep Nomads running.

There is a gringo discussion board in the town I live in on Mainland Mexico that solicits donations. But the moderator completely dominates every discussion (he had five times the number of posts of anyone else), edits many posts to suit himself, limits any discussion of commercial enterprises that dont pay for advertising and shuts down discussions when, in his opinion, they have run their course. He also has been known to create aliases for himself on that board. I refuse to donate or post to a outlet so censored, and dominated by one individual's point of view, as that one. If you think DK dominates THIS board, you wouldn't believe how that guy controls discussions over there. No criticism of him is allowed, even when he goes overboard on the censorship and deletes valuable info. He bans people all the time and you MUST agree to receive his monthly request for donations by email or you are bounced.

Nomads is certainly a breath of fresh air, from my perspective. That's Gulag over there.

Doug is that rare moderator who doesn't let his ego get in the way of good discussions. You'd be surprised how often ego impairs good discussions............just like in conversation.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.