Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: What other baja sites do you use
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I really dont like the Facebook formatting style, either. Discussion boards, organized by subject area, are much easier to find information and much easier to read for me. I find Talk Baja too disjointed.

Truth be told, I would actually pay a modest fee per year to keep Nomads running.

There is a gringo discussion board in the town I live in on Mainland Mexico that solicits donations. But the moderator completely dominates every discussion (he had five times the number of posts of anyone else), edits many posts to suit himself, limits any discussion of commercial enterprises that dont pay for advertising and shuts down discussions when, in his opinion, they have run their course. He also has been known to create aliases for himself on that board. I refuse to donate or post to a outlet so censored, and dominated by one individual's point of view, as that one. If you think DK dominates THIS board, you wouldn't believe how that guy controls discussions over there. No criticism of him is allowed, even when he goes overboard on the censorship and deletes valuable info. He bans people all the time and you MUST agree to receive his monthly request for donations by email or you are bounced.

Nomads is certainly a breath of fresh air, from my perspective. That's Gulag over there.

Doug is that rare moderator who doesn't let his ego get in the way of good discussions. You'd be surprised how often ego impairs good discussions............just like in conversation.

That jackweed read a competing board where I dissed him and banned me. He's crazy.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 09:51 AM

Truth be told, I would actually pay a modest fee per year to keep Nomads running.

I've recently joined a website that charges $4.99 per year. I've also subscribed to the San Diego Union-Tribune because they, like more and more newspaper websites, only allow a fixed number of free views per month which I was exceeding. And I frequently download the New York Times for 0.99 cents a copy. I don't mind paying small amounts for useful information.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 09:55 AM
Viva Baja Nomad

If I become angry or frustrated at times by postings I have to remind myself I chose to read them.
Good Job Doug!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 10:13 AM

I have no intention of buying a new Honda, but I just clicked on the banner ad on this forum for more information! I do this often.

It is so much less intrusive than a pop-up ad, and I hope it helps support Doug's efforts to keep this board worth his time and effort!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 10:14 AM

It may be time to think of a another platform. As this open source one is four years old maybe one that costs a few a pesos is the way to go.

Big question is can everything be ported over?

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
so reading about the support problems on this forum. What other forums are out there? is this forum going to slowly die? Can DavidK or someone else take it over?

what, no ones gonna mention the fulano forum! his general discussion forum is tamer than most the vile chit going on here in the OT and I find it a good source of baja news.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Talk Baja seems to be a civil place to go for real information, Does a good job of managing. This forum seems to be a continual rehash of the same stuff...by the same people...I

Nothing against Ron and "Talk Baja" on Facebook, and it's amazing how his Baja Facebook, site is attracting thousands of new members, and if he gets too many new members, I think it may become unmanageable. Essentially, it's like having one long thread that all the group members post on, and you are forced to look at everything before you might find something of interest.

BTW Chuckie, you would last two minutes on "Talk Baja" the way you troll here, as it's heavily monitored by Ron, and at least four moderators, maybe more, with their own idea on what's acceptable.

Now I know many members here think we need more moderators here, and they may even have a point, but when you have too many moderators running amok on forums, and Facebook, they generally go on power trips censor, delete, and close down threads that also happen to be the most interesting.

who is Stacy, over at "Talk Baja" who bashed the hell out of "Baja Nomad" and also claims she is a member of "Baja Nomad?" She does sound very brave to throw rocks at "Baja Nomad" from, over there. I just wonder why she doesn't say the same things if she is a member of "Baja Nomad" too?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 11:56 AM

facebook? the ability to hide and block members........priceless! :yes:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
facebook? the ability to hide and block members........priceless! :yes:

I've unfollowed all of my Facebook friends except for family. :lol:

A bunch of drivel.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 12:04 PM

so reading about the support problems on this forum. What other forums are out there? is this forum going to slowly die? Can DavidK or someone else take it over?

what, no ones gonna mention the fulano forum! his general discussion forum is tamer than most the vile chit going on here in the OT and I find it a good source of baja news.

That site is tamer now, because it's only basically down to the forum owner, and one hapless member, so in other words it's a ghost town with almost no active posting members. It's amazing the doors are still open over there!

You mean it's a good source of bad Baja news. Willardguy, I will give you a cookie for every positive news article you find about Baja in that Ghost town Willardguy.

And If you can't find any positive stories about Baja over there.......don't you think that could be a sign that maybe they have an agenda and ax to grind against Mexico, and the Mexican people?

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I've recently joined a website that charges $4.99 per year. I've also subscribed to the San Diego Union-Tribune because they, like more and more newspaper websites, only allow a fixed number of free views per month which I was exceeding. And I frequently download the New York Times for 0.99 cents a copy. I don't mind paying small amounts for useful information.

I use a couple of motorcycle forums that are very interesting and helpful. None require a subscription but do solicit donations and have a Paypal link for them. I periodically donate $5 to help keep them going. I would do the same here and suspect many other regulars would as well.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 12:57 PM

axe

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

That site is tamer now, because it's only basically down to the forum owner, and one hapless member, so in other words it's a ghost town with almost no active posting members. It's amazing the doors are still open over there!

You mean it's a good source of bad Baja news. Willardguy, I will give you a cookie for every positive news article you find about Baja in that Ghost town Willardguy.

And If you can't find any positive stories about Baja over there.......don't you think that could be a sign that maybe they have an agenda and ax to grind against Mexico, and the Mexican people?

don't like it don't read it.....just like a JJJ post.:no:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 01:35 PM

Really, I would pay up to a dollar a month, if Nomads was going away, due to lack of funds.

And I almost never go to Baja anymore.

But I might if they EVER finish the Hwy 5 paving.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 01:59 PM

Really, I would pay up to a dollar a month, if Nomads was going away, due to lack of funds.

And I almost never go to Baja anymore.

But I might if they EVER finish the Hwy 5 paving.

I think doug should have started out charging a buck a post....think of that $50,000 off just one member!:lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Talk Baja seems to be a civil place to go for real information, Does a good job of managing. This forum seems to be a continual rehash of the same stuff...by the same people...I

Essentially, it's like having one long thread that all the group members post on, and you are forced to look at everything before you might find something of interest.

This is really the essence of why I dont like the newer social media websites like FB, Twitter, etc.

I suppose if you are a person who has lots of friends who are constantly posting and YOU are a person who is constantly monitoring, no post will get past you (you people know who you are!). But I'm not that way.

These new websites are also filled with click-bait and that just gets too visually confusing for me.

BTW, where is this post where Doug says "the end is near".
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 02:50 PM

axe

you could be wrong chucky
http://writingexplained.org/ax-or-axe-difference

grind away

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 03:00 PM

Facebook does solve the image posting conundrum, but it alone decides what posts to display first, changes format without warning, and basically leaves a group admin with little control beyond topic and user moderation. Ron does a very good job with Talk Baja, but its audience is different from that of Baja Nomad, and deliberately so. I find both valuable for different reasons.

I hope Doug finds a workable solution for the board and for posting images. Having run a number of websites on a volunteer basis for years, it truly is a thankless job.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 03:05 PM

hatchet

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 06:47 PM

One of the things facebook gives you we don't have here is the ability to axe the whole dam thread (IF YOU ARE THE ORIGINATOR).
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.