Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "Gypsies" on I-8 and I-10
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 06:17 PM
"Gypsies" on I-8 and I-10

First of all no disrespect is meant by my use of the term "Gypsies", got it? Good!

Now I have many times seen Toyota's towing other Toyota's eastbound on Highways 8 and 10 in Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico.

I have seen old produce/u-haul trucks with a older Toyota truck in the back of the truck while another was being towed behind.

I have seen them individually and in groups of 5 or 6 vehicles.

More than likely if it is a Toyota truck being towed behind another Toyota truck and the trucks will be loaded full of stuff like bicycles, wheelchairs, furniture and such.

Lately they seem to have expanded into other Toyota models such as the ones pictured here. And very rarely I will see other makes such as Fords.

I saw this starting in 2010 when I moved to Phoenix and I have seen some just a few months ago.

So what gives, anybody know anything about these travelers?

Gyspy one.jpg - 244kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 06:24 PM

Some times a spare tire is just not enough?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:33 PM

They have been hauling Toyota trucks south as long as I can remember. Do they land in mexico or points further south?
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Some times a spare tire is just not enough?

Those are some plain and simple words strung together in a hilarious way, thanks! :bounce:

I have seen them out into Texas so if they are going to Mexico it is to the mainland for sure.
Oddjob
Banned

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:50 PM

They are going to Central and South America, not Mexico.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Oddjob  
They are going to Central and South America, not Mexico.

Have you spoken with them? (as if they are from outer space or something.)

Have you followed them?

Are you one of them?

How do you know this?

Come on, share a little (more)!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:35 PM

Why not follow them and when they stop ask them where they are going.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Why not follow them and when they stop ask them where they are going.

'cause I am socially inept ... will you do it for me? Please?

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by Fatboy]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 09:13 PM

Speaking of "Gypsy's", what has happened to Nomad BajaGypsy from Saskatoon who has not posted in almost 3 years. I miss her humor and fun posts?!?!?!?! Perhaps they froze?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 11:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
First of all no disrespect is meant by my use of the term "Gypsies", got it? Good!

Now I have many times seen Toyota's towing other Toyota's eastbound on Highways 8 and 10 in Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico.

I have seen old produce/u-haul trucks with a older Toyota truck in the back of the truck while another was being towed behind.

I have seen them individually and in groups of 5 or 6 vehicles.

More than likely if it is a Toyota truck being towed behind another Toyota truck and the trucks will be loaded full of stuff like bicycles, wheelchairs, furniture and such.

Lately they seem to have expanded into other Toyota models such as the ones pictured here. And very rarely I will see other makes such as Fords.

I saw this starting in 2010 when I moved to Phoenix and I have seen some just a few months ago.

So what gives, anybody know anything about these travelers?

Not everybody has money. Some people drive toyotas (not range rovers). Some people move with all their possessions in their cars (they can't afford to hire movers). Some people tow their cars 'cause they can't afford to fix them or hire a car transporter. Many people in the USA are low-wage migrant laborers, it's unfortunately the Economic reality in the wealthiest country in the world.

Some middle class people are more aware of how the unfortunate live, so don't ask silly questions.

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by mtgoat666]
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 12:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Not everybody has money. Some people drive toyotas (not range rovers). Some people move with all their possessions in their cars (they can't afford to hire movers). Some people tow their cars 'cause they can't afford to fix them or hire a car transporter. Many people in the USA are low-wage migrant laborers, it's unfortunately the Economic reality in the wealthiest country in the world.

Some middle class people are more aware of how the unfortunate live, so don't ask silly questions.

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by mtgoat666]

So you know theses people, and they are just "moving"? Well, I would say you are wrong again.

As to your comment 'Don't ask silly questions' Why? Do I need to run all my question by you first to make sure they are not 'silly'?

Can someone else vet my questions in case you are not available?

Am I the only that cannot ask silly questions?

What is like to live under a bridge? That is where trolls live, in case you think I was being silly and referring to the homeless, think again.

Oh thanks for solving this mystery for me, people moving, darn am I dumb.

By the way since you seem to be a pretty sharp guy, can you answer my silly questions for me?

Like ...
Did Oswald act alone?
What is the Turin Shroud?
Was King Arthur real?
What happened to Sir Percy Fawcett?
Who was really the first person to summit Everest, was it Mallory or someone else besides Hillary?
and
What is up with all the pyramids, are they tombs or something else?

Eagerly awaiting your amazing insights and answers into these and other matters and please go bugger yourself too.

Or maybe I should have just responded to your post with 'Don't post silly responses' , or better yet I could have just ignored it like I do most your other posts.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:57 AM

Green

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 06:53 AM

Salvage vehicles? Vehicles that insurance companies total and cannot be legally registered in the states, even after repair and therefore have no value here, except parts. I noticed the one in the photo doesn't have plates.

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by SFandH]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Speaking of "Gypsy's", what has happened to Nomad BajaGypsy from Saskatoon who has not posted in almost 3 years. I miss her humor and fun posts?!?!?!?! Perhaps they froze?

Baja Gypsies are still slogging it out in Saskatoon and coming down when they can to their digs here in Bahia Asuncion for RnR.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 10:21 AM

I've seen these Toyota truck caravans on the I-10 East only as I commute to my place in Ehrenberg AZ. for a couple of years now.

I own 2 Toyota P/U's with 22R motors, these are one of the most desired and reliable vehicles in Mexico. Good ol supply and demand in action IMHO.

As it relates to the Gypsies types; The ones I spoke to said they call themselves "Rainbow People" .
I tried to get them to sing "Like a rolling stone" but they just laughed and turned up their techno music

Es Todo Bueno
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
I've seen these Toyota truck caravans on the I-10 East only as I commute to my place in Ehrenberg AZ. for a couple of years now.

I own 2 Toyota P/U's with 22R motors, these are one of the most desired and reliable vehicles in Mexico. Good ol supply and demand in action IMHO.

As it relates to the Gypsies types; The ones I spoke to said they call themselves "Rainbow People" .
I tried to get them to sing "Like a rolling stone" but they just laughed and turned up their techno music

thanks BajaTed, I too have only seen them eastbound, and they call themselves 'Rainbow People", huh? Sounds interesting.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 12:45 PM

They are headed to central America. They get special permits to tow thru Mexico. The permit limits the route and time to get from border to border.

There where lots and lots of them at the Cuauhtemoc Chiapas/La Mesilla Huehuetenango border last time I was there (2008). Some of the guys I talked to had been waiting for days to get the Guate officials OK to cross.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 12:57 PM

Most of the cars are bought to Mexico. They remove the Tow Bar at border. Park one car in lot on US side use any Lic plate. Drive across border.Park in Mexico walk back across border pick up other car. Then put tow bar back on once in Mexico. Most are not registered or Imported. The Mexicans buy them anyway that is a fact.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 01:32 PM

That might work in Baja but not Mainland. You wouldn´t get very far without paper work.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Central-Amer...

I guess the guys I talked to where liars:rolleyes:

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by chippy]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Baja Gypsies are still slogging it out in Saskatoon and coming down when they can to their digs here in Bahia Asuncion for RnR.

Many thanks for the update, Shari. Good to know.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.