Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Elk Story
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:29 PM
Elk Story

One hot, dry, dusty afternoon ... wait... it might have have been a cool, dry, dusty morning.

Either way, it does not matter much except to know that ONE DAY in Northeastern Nevada I was bouncing around on some two-tracks in the middle of nowhere with a suicide inducing headache when I came across something tangled in the fence.

My first thought was "Did I bring a gun?" Not to wantonly kill something, but if it was beyond help with broken legs or something I might want to end the suffering.

Mercy killings, something we do far to often with animals, can you imagine if we treated people that way?

Where is little Billy?

Oh, he fell of the swing, broke both his legs, poor guy, so I shot him....OUCH!

As you can tell I am digressing from the true story here. None the less I did have a firearm, so parking the Jeep I walked up to the poor little guy to see the damages.

Lucky for both of use there was no need for such drastic action. While it did appear that he had be trapped in the barbwire for some time based on the hole he dug and the swelling on the side of his head.

Carefully I cut him free from the fence fearing that once he was free he would start thrashing around and hurt one of us. To be honest with you, I was more concerned with myself.

Instead he just laid there, to exhausted to move. It was 5 minutes, more or less, before he was able to get into a 'sitting' position.

Then he tried several times to stand, looking much like a newborn calf or foal, but was unable to do so right away. At this point I probably should have moved over to the relative safety of the far side of the fence.

Do you know what was the first thing he did upon standing? He attempted to head-butt me. So much for gratitude. The good part is that it was like being head-butted by a lazy 5-year old kid.

At this point I retreated to the other side of the fence in case he was able to recover much quicker than one would assume.

Now that I have the fence in between me and he, and he was in no hurry to leave, I offered him some water. It was a little awkward at first, I am only guessing here, that wild Elk do not drink out of water bottles very often?

After a few attempts he was a drinking like a drunkard with a new bottle of watermelon wine.

Well, he did have trouble walking and keeping the life giving elixir from running down his chin, much like the drunkards one might see on The Andy Griffith show.

Before I knew it he had downed three bottles of water and was starting to get frisky.

Soon he turned his back to me and trotted away with nary a glance back and that, my friends, is the true story of how I once rescued an Elk in Northeastern Nevada.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:31 PM

Proof you say?

ELK 1.jpg - 90kBelk 2.jpg - 114kBelk 3.jpg - 101kBelk 4.jpg - 96kB
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:33 PM

One more...

elk 5.jpg - 96kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:55 PM

I have found a few deer carcassses with feet stuck in top 2 strands. I think barb wire fences often snag wildlife that way.

If the ma was not around, the coyotes probably ate your friend for dinner that night
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:57 PM

GOD loves you for that.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:59 PM

Good for you...happens pretty often that they get caught like that...Fortunate for that one you came along...Thanks....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:01 PM

Years ago in southern Salt Lake County, Utah a young teen boy was found next to a tangled deer in a fence line, his ATV parked next to his dead body, kicked in the head by the deer he was trying to save. Neither survived.

Wyoming's 3 greatest lies are, 1) my pick-up is paid fer... 2) only mud on muh boots... 3) honest honey, I wuz just tryin' to help that thar sheep through the fence1

Good on ya for helping the lil' critter. Kharma goes around mostly, you deserve a pat on the back.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 08:33 AM

Wow....what a great story and the photos are eye-openingly amazing. That he would even attempt to attack you is just bizarre and I never would have imagined that could happen. Now I know better. Good on you for helping that elk!

The teen next to the fence is very sad.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 08:54 AM

Great story. I have also seen many deer and elk caught in the top 2 wires on a fence, but never still alive. I don't think they last long. Very lucky that you came by.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:50 AM

Ahhhh Fatboy...you are a gentleman and an exceptional word crafter....love your tales man.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:56 AM

Thanks All, it is dangerous whenever you are in close proximity to a wild animal.

Working near whales as Shari often does and as the deer story shows, things can get ugly quickly.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:58 AM

Kinda like visiting an ex wife....

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Kinda like visiting an ex wife....

Now, now Chuckie, we are limiting this to post to only NORMAL apex predators and below:P

Es Todo Bueno
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 10:15 AM

There is that....

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 12:08 PM

Don't know ... think I would rather untangle a bear from a fence than deal with some of my X's
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 05:59 PM

me too.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:26 PM

Found this poor guy too late on our ranch on the So. Oregon coast last year.

image.jpeg - 48kB
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:29 PM

Holy Bull, you would think he could just pull the fence down.

What a shame though, majestic creatures.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:31 PM

Hey Fatboy, that wouldn't have been anywhere near Jarbidge, would it? Kewl area. Got a story about my trip there once. Someday hope to return. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Hey Fatboy, that wouldn't have been anywhere near Jarbidge, would it? Kewl area. Got a story about my trip there once. Someday hope to return. :coolup:

Sort of, I was Southeast of Jackpot by about 30 miles. probably 50 mile SE of Jarbidge.

Would like to hear your story, love that country, lived in Elko for 2 years and did a lot of exploring out there.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.