Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 10:25 AM
State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol

Really?

This new US State Department ruling comes on the heals of the death of 20 year old Abbey Connon, a college student, and her 22 year old brother, who were vacationing at a Playas de Carmen, 5 star, all inclusive resort, meaning all the food and drinks you could possibly want.

Abbey and her brother, were at the swim up bar, and her brother admits to drinking at least 5 shots, and then were invited to have a " Jägerbomb” which is another powerful drink mixed with Redbull, and depending which article you read, they drank some more, although a few articles, tries to claim Abbey, only had one drink, the " Jägerbomb."

The two students, had blood-alcohol levels, of 0.25 for Abbey, and 0.26 for her brother, and both ended up in the pool and later taken to the hospital, where Abbey died. ( this is three times the legal limit in the state they live in, when the blood-alcohol, gets over 0.35, blood poising occurs, and you could die! )

But if you read the articles from the US media, Abbey, and her hapless brother, are blameless, and for sure either Abbey, and her brother, were victims, of either spiked drinks, for a possible kidnapping, rape, or some type of foul play, or the alcohol itself was tainted, and the tainted alcohol is the reason why the pair were at the bottom of the pool, or wherever they were found in the water.

To make matters worse, as this tragic event, happened with Abby, there was been a recent report from I think the Mexican tax authorities, that up to 43% of Mexican alcohol is altered in some fashion! To me that sounds like the IRS doing studies on US alcohol, and I bet there is more to the story than trying to say almost half of Mexican alcohol is like moonshine.

Mexican alcohol is usually in tamper proof bottles, and even if the two college students, weren't allegedly drugged, the fact the brother admitted taking at least 5 or 6 shots of pure alcohol could alone put them in the bottom of the pool, and this is ignored by the US media.

U.S. State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol at Mexico resorts after blackouts reported

he U.S. State Department is alerting travelers to Mexico about possible tainted or counterfeit alcohol that could cause sickness and blacking out.

The department on Wednesday updated its information page specific to Mexico under Safety and Security, cautioning vacationers who choose to drink alcohol to “do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.”

“The safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is one of our highest priorities,” a department official said in an email to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The updated warning comes in the wake of a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel investigation surrounding a Wisconsin woman’s death that raised questions about drinks being served in all-inclusive resorts in Mexico.

Following these reports and in consultation with our Posts in Mexico, we updated our Country Specific Information for Mexico to provide updated safety information regarding potentially tainted alcohol,” the department official said in the email.

The blackouts have happened to men and women, young and old, to singles and to couples, according to interviews with travelers and family members whose loved ones died or were injured at the resorts, as well as hospital records, ambulance receipts, hotel correspondence and other documents.

Abbey Connor, a 20-year-old from Pewaukee, died in January after being pulled listless from a pool at the Paraiso del Mar, part of a cluster of Iberostar resorts near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. She was brain dead, and a few days later was flown to Florida, where she was taken off life support.

Her brother, 22-year-old Austin, also reported blacking out. He had a lump on his forehead and a severe concussion. The two had arrived with their mother and step-father at the resort just hours earlier and had been drinking at a swim-up bar.

read the rest here:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/07/26...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 11:01 AM

I am astonished that any resort or hotel could stay open after just one instance of staff drugging (poisoning) a guest!
If i read a tripadvisor report of anything like this, the establishment would be off my list.

Sad that humans are so inhumane that this drugging occurs frequently in usa, mexico and just about anywhere
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 11:14 AM

tragic. beautiful young girl dead, im sure if she were my daughter I would want answers. good for the state dept. issuing a warning to be vigilant
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 01:13 PM

Here is a typical biased article surrounding the death of 20 year Abbey Conner, where they made it look like she was drugged, and only took one drink, the "Jägermeister" which by itself is a powerful drink that's mixed with Redbull.

And look who is being quoted, a family attorney, looking for a multmillion, dollar lawsuit, because stories are surfacing about allegedly bootleg booze being served all over Mexico, and the girl happens to be a white pretty American girl, which always creates a media frenzy in America.

Nowhere, does this article mention, the brother Austin, has already admitted to taking at least five or six shots of hard liquid, and then also admitting to drinking some more like a complete marooon!

There is also no mention of the fact, that no other drugs were found in the system of Abby, except for the 0.25 of alcohol reading which is three times the legal limit in the state they live in.

BOOTLEG BOOZE MYSTERY Girl, 20, who died after drinking a shot in Cancun, Mexico, may have been poisoned by cheap HOMEMADE alcohol sold illegally at hotel bar

A 20-YEAR-OLD girl who died after drinking a shot at a Cancun resort may have been poisoned by illegal ‘bootleg’ booze, according to a lawyer hired by her family.

Abbey Conner, from Wisconsin, US, was staying at Iberostar Hotel & Resorts’ five-star Paraiso del Mar with family in January, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

She and her older brother Austin were found face down in the pool with a blood alcohol content of 0.2 – 2.5 times above the legal limit for driving in the US.

Staff at the luxury Paraiso del Mar, in southern Mexico, pulled the siblings from the water and performed CPR on Abbey.

The 20-year-old, who was studying Public Relations at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, was unconscious, had a low pulse and had foam pouring out of her nose and mouth.

She was declared brain dead and was taken off life support a few days later, having been flown to Florida.

Austin insists the last thing he can remember before waking up in an ambulance is being invited to take a shot of Jägermeister mixed with Red Bull by a group of men at the bar.

Austin survived with a forehead injury and severe concussion.

He claims the pair, who were about to meet their mum and stepdad for dinner, drank a “Jägerbomb” shot before blacking out, reports USA Today.

Abbey’s devastated family have since hired a lawyer, Florentino Ramirez, who wrote a four-page report about Abbey’s death.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4069693/girl-20-died-cancun-me...

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:11 PM

Back in the day, in Vallarta some of the bars of
character, would serve, if asked, a homebrew called Ricea,
I assume something like moonshine. Was a TJ Revo Ave.,
bar patron yrs. back, who drank a drink served at a bar,
which later was determined to be some sort of rat poison,
totally accidental, I don't imagine one would have much
recourse in holding a bar libel

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:18 PM

Why are you guys posting all this negative stuff about Mexico?

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:46 PM

Mike jr. At Mikes sky ranch has some fine homemade tequila. If you ever find your way there you may be lucky enough to be offered a shot.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Back in the day, in Vallarta some of the bars of
character, would serve, if asked, a homebrew called Ricea,
I assume something like moonshine. Was a TJ Revo Ave.,
bar patron yrs. back, who drank a drink served at a bar,
which later was determined to be some sort of rat poison,
totally accidental, I don't imagine one would have much
recourse in holding a bar libel

Raicilla can be bad or really good just like mezcal or tequila. Me likey:bounce:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 03:32 PM

JJJ, do you every actually go to Mexico, dude, or do you just Google it?????

Bad moonshine tequila, and other cacti derivatives, have been around for forever. People have different reactions: ranging from a good buzz to delirium to passing out to passing away, in some cases. Of course the Mexican authorities are experts at making it appear to be anything but the moonshine. Maybe a trumped up BAL for the gal?

You REALLY think bars serve nothing but sealed, off-the-shelf tequila? Who knows what went in to a Jaegerbomb in Mexico..........

This ain't news. Neither the State Dept's. late warning (as usual), nor JJJ's ignorance.

Too bad she wasnt blue-eyed and blonde, as well as white, eh JJJ? Your race card would be an Ace of Spades.

Keep moving, people........just another attempt by JJJ to blame the US for all of Mexico's problems.
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 03:50 PM

I myself would be more suspicious of the "group of men" putting some sort of date rape drug in the jagerbombs....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:16 PM

I just read several news articles and there are reports from other people visiting the Playa del Carmen / Cancun area of losing consciousness or getting severely ill after drinking in resorts. Methanol mixed in maybe?

I hope they get the creeps selling the poison.

Going to the Yucatan? Buy beer and watch the bartender open the container.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:52 PM

This is just opinion, nothing else. It's a possibility that with the 'big-bucks' resorts involved there's also cartel involvement, and what better way to screw with a competitor or adversary than to discredit their operation? Possible. Who said ''show me a gringo caught in the crossfire''....

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

JJJ, do you every actually go to Mexico, dude, or do you just Google it?????

Bad moonshine tequila, and other cacti derivatives, have been around for forever. People have different reactions: ranging from a good buzz to delirium to passing out to passing away, in some cases. Of course the Mexican authorities are experts at making it appear to be anything but the moonshine. Maybe a trumped up BAL for the gal?

You REALLY think bars serve nothing but sealed, off-the-shelf tequila? Who knows what went in to a Jaegerbomb in Mexico..........

This ain't news. Neither the State Dept's. late warning (as usual), nor JJJ's ignorance.

Too bad she wasnt blue-eyed and blonde, as well as white, eh JJJ? Your race card would be an Ace of Spades.

Keep moving, people........just another attempt by JJJ to blame the US for all of Mexico's problems.

It appears Hook is wrong about everything he says!

Yes, I go to Mexico all the time, and just last year I was in Playas de Carmen, and I prefer it over Cancun, because there are less loud ugly Americans, and partying American college students there on an endless spring break, although I do admit, I like looking at the pretty young female coed students in their bikini's by the pool or the beach.

There is a more European and upscale Mexican crowd in in Playas de Carmen, but I do prefer the beaches in Cancun better than the Playas de Carmen beaches.

I have also stayed in many 5 star resorts in Mexico and around the world, something I know you have no idea about Hook. And lets just say, they don't serve Mexican moonshine in the 5 star resorts, although I'm sure you could get the bad stuff in the flea bag hotels, that you are use to saying in Hook.

I also hang around bars in Tijuana, and been to Cancun many times, and know how young 18 to 22 year old young adult kids drink foolishly.

I call BS on this story a mile away, although I fault the Mexican resort for not providing better care of their guests, although again, Playas is not Cancun, and you don't see the crazy young people in Playas de Carmen, until night time when the clubs rock all time long.

This topic about alleged altered alcohol, and this young 20 year old also made "Talk Baja" and the last I looked, most of the posts were similar to mine in blaming drunk partying behavior of young tourists more than they blame tainted Mexican alcohol.

Hook, 20 year Abbey Conner, may not have blue-eyed, but her hair is light brown, and make no mistake about it, Abbey, is like Dorthy, from Kansas, and someone has to be blamed for Abbey's death, and right now Mexico is getting all the blame, although there is no evidence her drink was spiked, or altered in any way. There is also no evidence of any date rape drugs in her system.

In fact her blood-alcohol level 0.025 is consistent with a 130 pound young girl downing 7 straight shots within the hour! ( her brother admitted she had at least 5 shots, and then she had that special drink with redbull)

Perhaps the "BN' drunks could chime in and tell us how taking that many shots and swimming is not a good idea.

[Edited on 7-28-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

Oddjob
Banned

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 08:26 PM

JJJ, you are obsessed with young men and women having problems in Mexico. Why would you post pictures of a beautiful young twenty year old who passed away tragically on a family vacation to Mexico?

You are one sick pos, and why Doug Means doesn't send you packing from this forum astonishes me. You have caused countless members of this forum to disappear. You have no redeeming qualities.

It is obvious that you have had a very trouble life. Now slink back to the off topic side.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 08:44 PM

Interesting. You would think they would just water it down like the rest of bars.

JJJ lives in occupied Aztlan - nuf said.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 11:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I just read several news articles and there are reports from other people visiting the Playa del Carmen / Cancun area of losing consciousness or getting severely ill after drinking in resorts. Methanol mixed in maybe?

I hope they get the creeps selling the poison.

Going to the Yucatan? Buy beer and watch the bartender open the container.

If you look carefully most of those alleged negative stories by American tourists also falling victim of getting their drinks spiked were pulled from this 501(c) organization, website called, "Mexico Vacation Awareness," that supposedly creates awareness of many travel dangers that await you when traveling to Mexico.

If you ask me, it's another Mexico bashing website with an agenda to discourage Mexico tourism. I'm surprised the "Southern Poverty Law Center" hasn't listed this website as another "hate site."

The thing is most of their reports come from unsubstantiated anonymous reports, which many of them are third hand accounts, and I believe many of the stories are made up BS!

This site claims and I'll quote," Appallingly, thirty-two percent of all “non-natural” deaths of U.S. citizens outside this country occur in Mexico."

Even if that was true, the fact is Mexico is the number #1 travel destination in world, and according to a 2015 report, 25.8 million tourist visited Mexico in 2015, followed by Canada, with 6.9 million tourists, and in 3rd place was United Kingdom at with 2.8 tourists. ( see link below)

http://wanderingtrader.com/travel-blog/countries-americans-t...

So of course more accidents and US tourists deaths will occur in Mexico, compared to a country like the UK, because there are easily eight times amount of American tourists who visit Mexico, compared to the UK.

The fact is US tourists deaths in Mexico, is a very low number, and clearly ""Mexico Vacation Awareness," is engaged in Mexico fear mongering. Sometimes when I want to see a scary movie, and scare myself, I instead turn to "Mexico Vacation Awareness," to feel the fear, but also knowing many if not most of their stories are pure fiction like the movies.

Lets read one of these stories from " Mexico Vacation Awareness" after the story about 20 year old Abby Connor's death came out. Jason Jackson, also claims his drinks were spiked at the same resort, and he woke up passed out! I wonder how many drinks Jason Jackson had? This report by Jason is retarded!

July 27, 2017 Name: Jason Jackson.

My wife and I went to Iberostar Del Mar Playa Paraiso in March of this year with another couple and we think this happened to us as well. We literally don't remember one of the days we were at the resort. We all woke up the next morning at the resort and all questioned what happened. We checked and nothing was stolen, but we knew something had to be in the drinks. When I just read the article about this resort having a death by drowning and then reading about tainted alcohol, it all made sense.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 04:38 AM

Anyone who has ever been to bars in Cancun, Cabo, or even Rocky Point knows what is happening. All the resorts promote drinking to excess. Things like booze cruise, barber chair, and other things. Alcohol poisoning not poisonous alcohol. I am not blaming the resorts. Everyone should know their limit.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 08:39 AM

The problem here on "Baja Nomad" is too many members are focused too much on JoeJustJoe, and are ignoring the two topics of the thread, first the death and accidental drowning of the 20 year old American college student young women, and the alleged allegations of tainted alcohol.

Lets posts a few posts from "Talk Baja" to get the focus off JoeJustJoe and maybe some of you could also accuse Ron, and other members of "Talk Baja" also hating white Americans.

Greg wrote: Lol every time I drink a whole bottle of tequila I black out . Must be bad booze
----
Peter wrote: someone forgot to mention that most alcohol bottles in mx have tamper proof spout, I believe the hotel before i believe the kids
-----
Rafael wrote: And the mota might have been low quality.
------
Brent wrote: They drink until they are stupid and then want to blame the Hotel for giving them tainted booze... I don't think so. The parents should come with their kids next time to see how much they drink and snort..
------
Ron wrote: If you drink that much alcohol, it doesn't have to be tainted to do something stupid...
------
Joe wrote: Just watched a few minutes of the ABC video. No mention at that point of her BAC. Her brother made it sound like he and her only had one or two drinks.
--------
Brent wrote: hahah they just couldn't remember after a few drinks .. IF the alcohol is tainted, I would be six ft under by now. I have been down here since 2004 and I have never (that I know of) had tainted drinks..
------
Ron wrote: That's it - blame it on tainted alcohol when you drink way too much and do something totally stupid..
-------
Rafael wrote: Quit drinking the hard stuff and opt for beer!
------
Joe wrote: Not a bad idea considering; "A 2015 report from Mexico’s Tax Administration Service found that 43% of all the alcohol consumed in the nation is illegal, produced under unregulated circumstances resulting in potentially dangerous concoctions. The national health authority in Mexico has seized more than 1.4 million gallons of adulterated alcohol since 2010"
-----
Irene wrote: I have seen so many people in Mexico get totally inebriated. Shots, margaritas, etc. Be responsible people......
------
Rafael wrote: 25 years ago someone in Cabo told me that Margaritas where known as gringo poison because tourists would not be able to tell good from bad tequila as most drank till they couldn't walk anymore.
----------
Ron wrote: If you say so? My guess this is the government insisting it's tainted solely because it was produced without paying federal taxes. Hard to say if I've ever had any but sure been trying hard enough for a couple of decades. No bad trips yet...
-----
Estaban wrote: Personal responsibility - Actions have consequences.
------
Bob wrote: This is really sad and just shows how gullible people are. Drilling down, the Attorney hired to represent the grieved family stated he observed alcohol of "poor quality" was being served. What defines poor quality? To me Jose Cuervo is of poor quality but certainly won't kill you unless you drink so much you become alcohol poisoned. Not to mention he is hardly in a position to render an impartial opinion.
------
Ann wrote: When you read this statement it says "allegations" of tainted alcohol have been reported. Allegations? Really? To say that Mexico is serving "tainted" alcohol based on "allegations", not proof, is the absolute height of irresponsible journalism and policy by the State Department.
---------
Nadine wrote: Many tourists just over indulge...seen it many many times, make a fool of themselves, get hurt and then blame Mexico!! They just should not go to Mexico it's just too dangerous for them!. We do not need our Mexican beaches crowed with puking drunks!., and then blaming Mexico!.
------
Nadine wrote: Also like in Canada where some people make their own home brew and other spirits these are not regulated so your drinking at your own risk. Do does this make Canada a dangerous country?!
-----
Tuna wrote: Hopefully this will keep some of the ugly Americans out of Mexico, one has to drink responsibly period.

While most of the articles are sensationalizing the story about young Abby Connor's death, and blaming Mexico, and tainted alcohol for her death. Most of the comments in those article, are similar to my comments, and the comments you find on "Talk Baja" on Facebook, that put the blame on over indulgence of alcohol, and not tainted booze.

Oh BTW JoeJustJoe, is not Tuna Dave, who made the comments about ugly Americans in Mexico, drinking excessively, but we just feel the same way.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-28-2017 at 09:25 AM
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 08:08 AM

i'm more worried about the Pemex that I can't control. I have to have the Pemex. The alcohol I don't need but you can put it in the tank.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Really?

This new US State Department ruling comes on the heals of the death of 20 year old Abbey Connon, a college student, and her 22 year old brother, .....

... her brother admits to drinking at least 5 shots,

They died and then called the news to give an account of the events. Great find.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.