Author: Subject: State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Really?

This new US State Department ruling comes on the heals of the death of 20 year old Abbey Connon, a college student, and her 22 year old brother, .....

... her brother admits to drinking at least 5 shots,

They died and then called the news to give an account of the events. Great find.

Say what?

Both Abby, age 20, and Austin, her brother, age 22 were face down in the pool, and both were taking to the hospital, but only Abby died.

If I were the parents, I would disown Austin for not taking care of his younger sister. I have adult kids a few years apart, and the oldest is a male, and for years when I wasn't around, I expected him to take care of his younger sister, and that would go double in Mexico.

Of course, I blame the parents too. Instead of blaming Mexico, and alleged bootlegged alcohol for Abby death. I wonder why they aren't looking in the mirror, and asking themselves why they didn't come down and check on the kids?

Of course you have a mother, and a step-father, situation here, and perhaps they just weren't focused on the kids.

Abby's real father, wasn't even there, but he knows for sure, something happened, and that it was some type of foul play.

I feel sorry for the father, who lost his daughter, and I just love the way he dealt with his own grief, with a 2000 mile bike ride across the country to bring awareness of organ donations.

In honor of my daughter and to help me deal with my own grief, I will be riding my Trek bicycle 2,000+ miles across the country, leaving Madison, WI on May 22, 2017 and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale, FL approximately on July 10th, 2017 without any hitches. The arrival point in Ft. Lauderdale is at the Broward Medical Center. This hospital took exceptional care of my daughter and prepared her to donate her organs.

Through my entire ride, I will be bringing awareness to the impact of organ donation and how important the gift of life truly is when tragedy shows up on your doorstep. I will be riding six days a week averaging 60-65 miles per day, and on my days off and at every stop along my bike route, I will be asking people to regsiter online to become organ donors.

https://www.gofundme.com/abbeys-ride-for-life

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 01:05 PM

Joe, - I read what I read. Whatever...

Yes, you can die of tainted alcohol. Anti-sanitary conditions, wrong type of alcohol from unlicensed distilleries, or something else. This is a third world country.

Yes, one can also die of blood poisoning caused by overdose. Or - both tainted alcohol and overdose.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 02:24 PM

Now Soulpatch, is bringing up allegedly date rape drugs, and rape, and he says, it's not second or third party, but he knows the victims firsthand. What you know Soulpatch, is their one-sided story. You could also be making it up. Why would women admit to you that they been raped??

Well, there are well known studies coming out of the UK starting in 2005, that tested about 1000 young women, who claimed they were victims of date rape drugs, but when they were tested only a very tiny sample of the women like 21 out of 1000 that were actually victims of date rape drugs, and the vast majority 979 of the women tested were actually victims of their own alcohol abuse, or illicit drugs that were found in their systems.

This type of study has also been done world wide with about the same results.

In order words, most of these date-rape spiking drinks stories are largely an urban myths.

Alcohol abuse is the most widely used drug of choice that leads to trouble in Mexico, and every country in the world.

Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

Widespread spiking of drinks with date-rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB is an "urban legend" fuelled by young women unwilling to accept they have simply consumed too much alcohol, academics believe.

By Stephen Adams6:10AM GMT 27 Oct 2009

A study of more than 200 students revealed many wrongly blamed the effects of a "bad night out" on date-rape drugs, when they had just drunk excessively.

Many are in "active denial" that drinking large amounts of alcohol can leave them "incoherent and incapacitated", the Kent University researchers concluded.

Young women's fears about date-rape drugs are so ingrained that students mistakenly think it is a more important factor in sexual assault than being drunk, taking drugs or walking alone at night.

The study, published in the British Journal of Criminology, found three-quarters of students identified drink spiking as an important risk – more than alcohol or drugs.

More than half said they knew someone whose drink had been spiked.

But despite popular beliefs, police have found no evidence that rape victims are commonly drugged with such substances, the researchers said.

Dr Adam Burgess from the university's School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research, said: "Young women appear to be displacing their anxieties about the consequences of consuming what is in the bottle on to rumours of what could be put there by someone else.

"The reason why fear of drink-spiking has become widespread seems to be a mix of it being more convenient to guard against than the effects of alcohol itself and the fact that such stories are exotic – like a more adult version of 'stranger danger'."

Rituals to protect drinks from contamination, such as taking drinks to the lavatory in clubs and bars and buying only bottled drinks, have become commonplace, the academics noted.
Among young people, drink spiking stories have attractive features that could "help explain" their disproportionate loss of control after drinking alcohol, the study found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6440589/Date-ra...

[Edited on 7-30-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 03:28 PM

Have you petty, bickering people forgot that there is a tragedy here?

Take you crap somewhere else as we have a family in mourning for their loved one.

May it never happen to you but how would you like to read this drivel if you were in their sandals?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 02:14 AM

This incident happened way back in January....I am sure that the Mexican Law Enforcement people, working closely with the US State Dept. have this issue under control by now.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 03:07 AM

BTW The US State Department, did not issue a travel warning in the state of Quintana Roo, where Playa Del Carmen, is located, regarding tainted or substandard alcohol.

What they did was update their State Department's Country Specific Information( CSI) page, which does not constitute a travel warning.

The State Department, has a completely separate "Travel Warning" for Mexico, and as today there is no Travel Warning in the state of Quintana Roo, although they do warn of cellular and internet services are virtually non-existent in certain areas of the state.

The U. S. State Department, is very careful in their words, and where they put their warnings.

The CSI page, really is only passing on allegations of tainted or substandard Alcohol, and the real message seems to be, that if you drink alcohol, do so in moderation, and if you start to feel sick, seek medical attention.

Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

https://travel.state.gov/content/studentsabroad/en/beforeyou...

Mexico Travel Warning

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): No advisory is in effect. However, U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling south of Felipe Carrillo Puerto or east of Jose Maria Morelos as cellular and internet services are virtually non-existent.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings...

[Edited on 7-31-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 09:36 PM
The Moral to the Story IS ?

Stick with the Cerveza ?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Trip Advisor often removes negative posts like this.

Weird; seems like they are in a position of power in this environment, why should they try to protect the establishments?

(I'm not doubting you in the least, just curious.)

Some reviewers/tourists/people on "TripAdvisor" have complained their so-called reviews, are being censored and deleted, and they want to know why.

"Trip Advisor" has consistently told these reviewers/tourists/people, some of them nutcases with an agenda, or ax to grind, that their posts were determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed. TripAdvisor, also recommends these people review the posting guidelines.

It makes sense to me, and BTW, a lot of negative reviews do make it through the TripAdvisor censors. There is nothing wrong with a honest general negative review, but the other wild tales of mayhem, I rather not read, unless the reviewer can prove their wild allegations.

We value your contributions to our site and encourage you to use our forums to interact with your fellow travelers and assist with your trip planning! We also want to make sure that TripAdvisor is a safe and trustworthy source for our global community. To help us with this goal please ensure your posts are:

Family-Friendly

To maintain a safe, family-friendly environment on our forums, we ask our members to limit their comments to courteous and respectful language at all times. Any posts that include sexually explicit comments, hate-speech, prejudiced remarks, calls for boycott of any destination or business, threats, or profanity will be removed. We also reject posts that advocate or describe participation in illegal activities and those containing graphic descriptions of death, injuries or violent criminal acts. We only publish posts written by travelers 13 or older.

Relevant to Travelers

Keep your forum posts relevant and helpful to travelers. Please don’t include personally insulting language, smear campaigns, or any personal opinions about political, ethical, religious, or wider social issues. Keep in mind other travelers are reading your posts for trip planning and research, not for reviews of your experience with a particular business. If you would like to review a business on TripAdvisor, please do so through the Write A Review feature. Questions regarding real estate purchases, long-term rentals, or solicitations for either will be removed. If you have a question or comment for TripAdvisor about our forums moderation policies or there is an issue with your account, you can contact us via the Help Center.

Read the rest here:

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/2006136...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 04:15 PM
Caveat Emptor

Especially in Third-World Bars.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 04:20 PM

Watch out for the crimps lest you get shanghaied.

[Edited on 8-7-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
This incident happened way back in January....I am sure that the Mexican Law Enforcement people, working closely with the US State Dept. have this issue under control by now.

Ya, sure, you betcha! ;D

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 09:54 AM

It looks like a misleading headline. According to the facts in the story, the only Congress persons, who want action, are from Wisconsin, where Abby Conner, died after taking many shots ( at least 5) of straight alcohol, and then drinking some more, before she ended up in the bottom of the pool with her brother.

The 140 victims, that the, Journal Sentinel, claims, most likely came from the anti-Mexico, site, "Mexico Awareness" where anonymous sources, cite their alleged bad experiences in Mexico.

The State department's only warning should be, to Americans visiting Mexico, is to drink moderately and when you get drunk, bad things could happen to you. The all inclusive resorts, that offer all the food and drinks you want, alone could kill you.

From USA Today:

140 victims of Mexico resort blackouts. Now, Congress wants action

Members of Congress on both sides of the aisle are pressuring the State Department to reform the way it handles deaths and injuries to U.S. citizens vacationing in Mexico.

In a letter Monday to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., said the more than 140 recently reported cases of tourists blacking out and getting injured — and in some cases dying — after drinking small or moderate amounts of alcohol show that the department needs to take a more “proactive, victim-centric” approach.

“While I understand that the State Department does not have legal jurisdiction to investigate specific cases, I am confident that a clear-eyed, comprehensive analysis of the information provided by victims will reveal systemic issues related to illicit alcohol, weak and corrupt law enforcement and judicial institutions, an absence of the rule of law, and an overall dangerous environment for U.S. citizens in Mexico,” Baldwin wrote.

At the urging of Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., the Office of Inspector General opened an inquiry in December into how the department has been handling reports from U.S. citizens who were injured or whose loved ones died while on vacation in Mexico. No details on the inquiry have been released.

The pressure from elected officials follows a months-long investigation by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which first uncovered the array of problems in July.

The news organization began investigating after Abbey Conner, a 20-year-old University of Wisconsin-Whitewater student, drowned under suspicious circumstances on a family vacation in January 2017, within hours of arriving at a resort.
Her older brother, Austin, then 22, was found unconscious nearby but survived. He has no memory of what happened.

Since that story, the Journal Sentinel heard from more than 140 people who had terrifying, sometimes tragic, experiences while visiting Mexico, most often while staying at upscale, all-inclusive resorts.

“I request that the State Department use the information contained in these stories to appropriately reform its consular affairs operations in Mexico and its relationships with Mexican partner organizations that do not share our interests,” Baldwin wrote in the letter to Tillerson.

The State Department keeps sparse data on deaths of U.S. citizens in Mexico and only in the past several months began tracking injuries. It since has received 17 reports of alcohol-related injuries, according to figures the department provided Friday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/12/mexi...

[Edited on 2-14-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 01:36 PM
Wisconsin Purple Haze

Given that Tammy is one of those considered vulnerable come November in a Purple state, it's likely that she would take ANY cheap opportunity to get some favorable press.

And, it's just as likely that Ron Johnson would jump in to negate any advantage she might realize.

Bottom Line .................. It's just the same old pandering.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 10:07 AM

This type of tequila is somewhat available in several places in Baja. The most common availability is from Sandra's restaurant in Puerto Nuevo. You have to ask the bartender to buy a bottle.

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Mike jr. At Mikes sky ranch has some fine homemade tequila. If you ever find your way there you may be lucky enough to be offered a shot.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 10:20 AM
Be SAFE in Mexico ?

Buy only BEER in bottles that are opened in front of you.

Even then you may be taking a chance.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
tragic. beautiful young girl dead, im sure if she were my daughter I would want answers. good for the state dept. issuing a warning to be vigilant

dude, she drank herself to death. There is no blame elsewhere.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
tragic. beautiful young girl dead, im sure if she were my daughter I would want answers. good for the state dept. issuing a warning to be vigilant

Not the way I read it. Comprehension challenged?

''.....victims, of either spiked drinks, for a possible kidnapping, rape, or some type of foul play, or the alcohol itself was tainted, and the tainted alcohol is the reason why the pair were at the bottom of the pool, or wherever they were found in the water.''

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 12:03 PM

yes this IS an old story...but the USA Today article is a timely and informative update to the story, regardless of whether or not you choose to believe it.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Not the way I read it. Comprehension challenged?

''.....victims, of either spiked drinks, for a possible kidnapping, rape, or some type of foul play, or the alcohol itself was tainted, and the tainted alcohol is the reason why the pair were at the bottom of the pool, or wherever they were found in the water.''

BA level 0.24, 5 or 6 shots
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Buy only BEER in bottles that are opened in front of you.

Even then you may be taking a chance.

What you advise, always have the beer bottles in Mexico, opened in front of you, is a well known paranoid practiced by many tourists in Mexico. ( I admit I do it myself, because it's so well known)

But the question is what do you do about mixed drinks, where most of the alcohol related problems seem to occur, because the alcohol content is so much stronger in mixed drinks than regular Mexican beers have an ABV alcohol content of only about 4%.

I predict, we will see more alcohol related problems, and charges of spike drinks, in Mexico, when Mexican resorts starts serving Mexican craft beers with high ABV Alcohol above 6% to 10% like in the states.

The thing about Abby Conner's, and the alleged spike drinks, poisoned alcohol, and all the other stories about bad Mexican alcohol.

The admission by her brother, that both him and his sister( Abby) were doing shots, at least 5 shots, followed by a Jagerbomb, and possibly more drinks.

Abby's 0.25 blood alcohol level is probably consistent with a similar sized young woman, drinking the same amount of hard liquor, in the states, that we know is not tainted.

So I find it hard to believe that Abby's drinks were spiked or tainted when her brother admitted they were drinking excessively ( shots) in such a short time.

[Edited on 2-15-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.