Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best warm beer???
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:23 PM
Best warm beer???

So sometimes you just run out of ice while exploring Baja. I wouldn`t drink a hot beer left out in the sun, but tepid or say 75 degrees would be fine. Had a Budweiser the other day that tasted fine this way (emergency)!!! So.... bottle, can, Tecate rojo, or?????
BTW this is a troll for a good "had to drink them warm" story!:lol:

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:31 PM

I have never had a beer that I thought tasted good warm. Old English Ale is the worst. Maybe a non-alcoholic beer might be OK. But as far as I'm concerned I don't like soda that's warm either, tea OK.

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by TMW]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:33 PM

Most of the OG Mexicanos I knew preferred their cervezas 'temprano' rather than 'frio'. Pacifico in the bottle was most preferred, with thumb-over-top in between sips to keep the moscas out. For me, not so much, but warm is better than none on a dry day.

Stay thirsty, my friends. :cool:

ADDENDUM: A good friend from Mexicali told me that a TKT ballena (chilled) is called "huevos hielados" and is Mexican air conditioning in Mexicali in the summertime. That's how they stay.....
COOOOL... :cool:

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:54 PM

the only beer I can drink warm is Guinness.....hmmm...wish I had one!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 05:00 PM

John Steinbeck and crew thought it was Carta Blanca?:barf:
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 05:52 PM

warm beer and bread they say can raise the dead well it reminds me of the menu at a holiday inn.......
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:11 PM

I would have loved a warm beer in a primitive cabin where
two of us were taking shelter during a day-long series of thunderstorms.
All we could find was a warm bottle of cheap gin.
We played draw poker and the loser would have to take a shot.

I still gag at the sight of gin.

That said, Bohemia Oscura or any beer with water in it,
when you're thirsty (as said), is excellent.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:16 PM

I can always drink them at ocean temp, I do not spend much time on in the northern sea of cortez in the summer.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Most of the OG Mexicanos I knew preferred their cervezas 'temprano' rather than 'frio'. Pacifico in the bottle was most preferred, with thumb-over-top in between sips to keep the moscas out. For me, not so much, but warm is better than none on a dry day.

Stay thirsty, my friends. :cool:

ADDENDUM: A good friend from Mexicali told me that a TKT ballena (chilled) is called "huevos hielados" and is Mexican air conditioning in Mexicali in the summertime. That's how they stay.....
COOOOL... :cool:

[Edited on 7-27-2017 by bajabuddha]

Hi bajabuddha,

I went to college in Mexicali, I certainly remember the "huevos helados" you're referring to. But actually it's about the city: it's said of Mexicali that it is: "la ciudad de los huevos fríos" (the city of the cold balls) because during summer time everyone has a cold "caguama" (thirsty-two-ouncer) between their legs while driving around... keep'em cool bro... actually the "caguamas" are said to be "vestidas de novia" (dressed like brides) because of the ice build up on the bottle's surface when taken out of the fridge... and everyone knows where the best "abrevaderos" (water holes) are at... chilled... mmm... mm... m...!!!... not warm beer in Mexicali...!!!!

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 09:09 PM

carloslg, I wish you could meet my bud Tavo from Mexicali..... the guy is a true Baja treasure. Young, impetuous, and now found his way to the Cabo area to entertain his current clients. Huevos hielados indeed! The guy is an open container for knowledge, love, and friendship, one of my finest friendships made in Baja. That is, next to Chuckie...... he'll drink ANYTHING.

86 - 45*

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 06:13 AM

At the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong we drank with British and Australian sailors. Those Limeys would let their beers go warm before they would drink-up. We and the Aussies liked them cold. This was 1959. Nowadays cold beer has become popular in the UK. Believe it or not Budweiser is a big seller there. Go figure.
That being said; from experience, I vote for Tecate Red for the best served warm.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 06:58 AM

Tiger Beer:bounce:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:02 AM

Was just commenting on the warmish beer I was drinking last night.

I was at a minor league baseball game in Boise and it was Thirsty Thursday, which meant dollar beers for the first few innings. Naturally, we would each buy TWO (the limit in the US; what a joke!) and one would lean towards warm while we drank the first one. It was in the clear, thin plastic cups with zero insulation value.

Cold or warm, Coors Light doesnt change much. Not much flavor to undergo a change, I guess. But I still like the beer, because it is so clean and refreshing and relatively low in alcohol. It's hard to pound IPAs, pale ales, ambers or stouts in 90+ degree heat. I actually drink Original Coors Banquet Beer as my go-to light beer, but that and Blue Moon were 6.25 at the game. The dollar Coors Light sales were brisk, even if the weather wasn't.

Can you tell the Boise Hawks are an affiliate of the Colorado Rockies?
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:07 AM

Oh yeah, any Mexican beer in a can that gets warm is awful, IMO. The leader is Modelo Especial. But I dont like it, to begin with.

[Edited on 7-28-2017 by Hook]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:23 AM

Warm beer is poor planning and calls for an immediate ice run.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
At the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong we drank with British and Australian sailors. Those Limeys would let their beers go warm before they would drink-up. We and the Aussies liked them cold. This was 1959. Nowadays cold beer has become popular in the UK. Believe it or not Budweiser is a big seller there. Go figure.
That being said; from experience, I vote for Tecate Red for the best served warm.

The China Fleet Club in Hong Kong brings back memories. It's Feb. 1966 me and my buddy were in there setting at a table with a pitcher of beer when an American sailor stands on a chair with beer in hand points it to the picture of Queen Elizabeth and says F the Queen. Well all hell breaks loose as the British Marines and US sailors are fighting all over the place. My buddy and I grab the pitcher of beer and our glasses and go under the table to watch it all. The SPs and MPs and maybe some cops break it up. One SP looks under our table and says OK guys it's OK to come out.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Warm beer is poor planning and calls for an immediate ice run.

Sometimes your camp is just too remote to justify it.

A remote camp is the best reason to buy a low-draw, compressor fridge around 40-50 qt, and a solar panel to keep up with it. Yeah, the return on investment, compared to the cost of ice, is long. But when you figure in fuel and lost time, it's a no-brainer.

As I've mentioned before, the combo of an absorption fridge and a small compressor fridge has freed me from buying ice on my summer travels in my truck camper. It's nice not dealing with ice. The absorption freezer makes ice cubes for mixed drinks overnight and all the other beverages (except bulky almond milk and juice containers) go in the compressor. I can set it at 32-34, if desired.

I really wonder if someone has every used their chest style compressor fridge to make large ice blocks that they then moved to a six-day ice chest. I just dont know if the compressor would keep up; they arent real fast at freezing a single mass over 3 liters or so. Especially if the ambient temp of the water is in the 80s.

The absolute worst can of beer I ever had was from a family selling cans of XXX (tres equis) near the dunes below Cantamar. Warm, and in a can from the 60s. Might have been lead-lined in Mexico back then. Certainly wasnt aluminum; maybe tin.

I was young and it was a long time ago, but I remember XXX being sold. Anyone else ever run across that?

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 10:59 AM

I remember seeing XXX but can't recall ever drinking it....the mexican beer that never worked for me was the Tecate of the 80's, no matter how cold it was.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 11:24 AM

I am pretty sure I drank XXX on the mainland years ago, with favorable results, but I have never bought beer in cans SOB! Pacifico in returnable bottles was my choice.

In 1986 I found a cerveca sold in stubby, barrel shaped, non returnable bottles. it may even have been labeled 'Barriles', or something similar.

The twist off caps were the tightest I have ever encountered, so there was a recessed area in the bottom of the bottle to use to open another one.

Back on topic, the better the beer, the better the chance you can enjoy it warm. Frosted mugs are for real crappy beer!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Back on topic, the better the beer, the better the chance you can enjoy it warm. Frosted mugs are for real crappy beer!

... so are limes, IMHO. :cool:

86 - 45*

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.