Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with Google Earth
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 04:50 PM
Help with Google Earth

I had shut down my desktop PC last night and when I started it today I noticed the Google Earth symbol was not blue/white but gray/white and said Google Earth Pro. When I opened it I did not have the usual control items in the upper right for turning and tilt nor the movement and street view symbol. It is usable but different. Does anyone know how to get the controls back on screen. I've clicked on everything and nothing helps. I guess I could down load it again and see what happens.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:26 PM

Progress

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:49 PM

Uninstall it. Re-install it. Gonna be your fastest way.

Your other option is to go to YouTube. There is like a video on every little aspect of every program. Literally 1,000s on stuff like Premier Pro.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 06:06 PM

mine shows two choices on start up "google earth for chrome" and "older versions"?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 12:02 AM

It's OS-specific and browser-specific.
Mine is the same gray cat color scheme. All usual controls are in place. Win 10, Firefox.

Btw, rotate/tilt controls have keyboard shortcuts.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 04:19 AM

I just begin to type in Google Earth in the lower left search box and it loads right up. I can switch to pro if I want. It has more stuff than I want, usually.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 09:54 AM

Thanks all. Good ideals.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 09:58 AM

I found it. Top left I clicked on view then clicked navigation then clicked on always. Bingo

Take that goat
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I found it. Top left I clicked on view then clicked navigation then clicked on always. Bingo

Take that goat

see! a little clicking around in the menus, and bob's your uncle! Progress!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I just begin to type in Google Earth in the lower left search box and it loads right up.

I just click on the icon on desktop. Though... have seen some screens with nice and bright wallpaper picture, taking the entire screen. Hard to see any icons on it. Not a screen-saver, but a permanent custom picture that the owner took time to download and install.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Take that goat

Beats putting a bullet through the screen:mad::mad::mad:
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 06:41 AM

I haven't been able to use Google Earth in years on my laptop. I use it on my iPhone and iPad.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I haven't been able to use Google Earth in years on my laptop. I use it on my iPhone and iPad.

It won't work on your laptop? That is surprising because I have an old P.O.S. that I travel with, and almost no computer skills, but it works for me!

Edit, My Acer came with windows 7, and upgraded to 10. Man is this thing slow!

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 08:45 AM

I have two laptops with window 7 and GE works on them.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 05:37 AM

I don't know why but I just can't seem to get it re-installed on my 2009 MacBook Pro. It used to work perfectly then with one of the OS upgrades it went away. I am not technology savvy enough to figure it out...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 06:57 AM

There is a new interface. Try to uninstall it completely and then reinstall.

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by woody with a view]

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I don't know why but I just can't seem to get it re-installed on my 2009 MacBook Pro. It used to work perfectly then with one of the OS upgrades it went away.

(Rant on)
We all might be in for a nasty surprise. New GE is a web app, it needs a browser and it is picky as to what browser. I am Win 10 Firefox, and it "sounds" like almighty Google is planning to leave all other browsers high and dry, except for their own products like Chrome.
(Rant off).

Here is what you can try:
1) Completely uninstall your current Google Earth, clean all the leftovers. In Win 10 the best uninstaller is Revo. In Mac - don't know, but I heard MacBooster is a powerful tool. Even if you "think" you don't have GE, it will find and clean leftovers.

2) Download and install Older Version of GE: https://www.google.com/earth/desktop/. This is the latest "old GE". There many sources for older yet GE versions in iOS, down to the very first release of 2004.

Or, - upgrade your browser to what Google wants, and then install the latest version of GE.

Edit-PS: A word of caution. Some of 3rd party uninstallers/cleaners are "too thorough". On my Win machine one of such programs removed a stubborn virus and also deleted a few things that I wanted to keep. I'm not familiar with MacBooster. Try uninstalling your current GE using the existing Mac tools, then install old version GE - maybe this will do. And make sure that GE won't auto-upgrade itself to newer version when you're not looking :)

[Edited on 8-13-2017 by Alm]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 10:23 PM

I just ran GE from the cloud using my browser, nothing to install. Pretty cool. I'm running Chrome on a small Chromebook.

https://earth.google.com/web/

[Edited on 8-13-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I just ran GE from the cloud using my browser, nothing to install. Pretty cool. I'm running Chrome on a small Chromebook.

https://earth.google.com/web/

[Edited on 8-13-2017 by SFandH]

yup, we don't need no stinkin' hard drive! ;)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 12:50 PM

Chromebooks have Emmc "drive" embedded into motherboard. Cheaper, slower, less reliable media than SSD.

Better Cromebooks typically come with SSD drive, and so do better Win laptops.

[Edited on 8-13-2017 by Alm]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.