Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ELECTRIC CARS IN BAJA
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:28 PM
ELECTRIC CARS IN BAJA

HOLA,

if a person were to decide to buy and bring an electric car to baja sur, other than not having charging stations other than an electrical extension cord from your room, what other problems can you forsee ?

repairs by whom, parts for repairs....

future solutions at home would possibly have to be solar or wind power to charge batteries as electricity is so expensive. distant traveling would be the biggest obstacle.

attached was sent by a friend who is not an engineer.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Here's something of interest.

ELECTRIC CARS - IT MAKES YOU WONDER.....

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it.

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they’re being shoved down our throats…

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious. If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than 3 houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy the damn things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway. It’s enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors … and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.” Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4-1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000+. So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

Wake up America!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:34 PM

IC engines are dirty, they cause horrible air problems in ALL large cities.
Power plants are actually much cleaner and efficient, despite some transmission loss.
The world changes, don't be an oldster and manufacture false reasons to not change with it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:37 PM

Do you have an electric car, Goatley?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:39 PM

electricity is so expensive? I've never lived in BCS so I can't comment on rates there.....but in the last 5 years I've never paid more than five dollars a month for electricity in the rosarito-ensenada corridor. I think an electric car would look pretty attractive for running around town.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:40 PM

Btw, I doubt anyone in USA pays $1.16/kWh. Where did you get that astronomical electric rate, Nieman marcus?

Perhaps the writer actually pays 11.6 cents per kWh?

[Edited on 7-29-2017 by mtgoat666]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Do you have an electric car, Goatley?

Not right now. But planning to get one of the new non-luxury-price Teslas that are coming out soon. My neighbors have e-cars, and I really like them.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 06:05 PM

I'm all for electric cars. IMHO a great development in personal transportation.

Here's a new electric truck.

"Tesla's latest competitor is this badass all-electric truck"

http://mashable.com/2017/07/28/bollinger-b1-electic-truck/#Y...

And as pointed out, the original post using $1.16 per kilowatt hour is off by a factor of 10. The average cost in the US is 12 cents per kilowatt-hour.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/10/27/141766341/the-p...

Good catch Goat. It blows the original post cost argument out of the water.

[Edited on 7-29-2017 by SFandH]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 08:33 AM

I am employeed in the electric car world.

First, the Chevy Volt is a plug-in hybrid - as the author correctly points out, the car runs a limited time on the battery, then switches over to gas. Comparing the Volt to other EVs is an apple-and-oranges discussion.

The Tesla Model S has a ~260 mile range and can charge from empty to full in less than an hour (perfect for catching lunch near a Tesla Supercharger location). And 0-60mph in less than four seconds is pretty torquey.

The fairly new Chevy Spark has a 235 mile range and is able to charge equally as fast.

Absent the high power chargers, all EVs can be plugged into a regular 110v wall outlet - here's where overnight charging is required, but this is also when the power company charges the least for its electricty. Our office is solar-powered, so charging the cars there is virtually free.

For most daily drivers, 200+ miles of range is more than enough for many round trips to work and the store. But driving the length of Baja would be problematic.

That said, there are chargers in Tijuana and all around Ensenada - both the 240v Level 2 chargers and the Tesla Destination chargers. Mexico city and other parts of the country are packed with EV chargers.

EVs are an evolving industry and we are still figuring this out. Please be patient.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 09:02 AM

Neighbor has a Tesla and just ordered a second one. He seems to be happy with what he has. When I asked him what it cost to run, he said "I don't know".

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 09:22 AM

And of course there is the recent Volvo announcement:

"the company said that all new models starting in 2019 will be equipped with an electric motor. Some will be hybrids. Some will be pure electrics."

http://www.swtimes.com/news/20170723/volvo-making-electrific...

Plus the Tesla Model 3 broke the 300 mile range barrier.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/29/teslas-model-3-breaks-300-mile...

Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 09:40 AM

What is the cost for battery replacement when they give up ???
And is battery disposal eco-friendly ??
That's gotta be factored into the running cost

sold out and got out !!!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 09:49 AM

I rented a Toyota Prius last year and once I figured out how to start it I liked driving it. Instructions on how to start it are on page 150 or so in the drivers manual, stupid.

I think electric cars are the future just not in my lifetime will I have one.
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 12:21 PM

I have 140,000 miles on my Prius. To start it, I get in, sit down, fasten my seat belt and press the START button. Didn't know I could read about it on page 150.:)

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
I have 140,000 miles on my Prius. To start it, I get in, sit down, fasten my seat belt and press the START button. Didn't know I could read about it on page 150.:)

maybe he had never seen a keyless ignition? there is a first time for everything!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 02:01 PM

There is another button you have to hit first. I don't remember what it's called but it's like a mode button. Yes it was my first time driving a keyless car.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 02:03 PM

Contrast that to my wife's 1998 Acura which gives starting and driving info on page 2 or 3.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 02:11 PM

I need a new Baja cruiser but it needs to be a pickup, SUV, or maybe one of the new vans. Gotta haul stuff. Maybe I can stretch out the F-250 for a few more years and then get an electric.

Gonna need to buy a new set of tires and another can of bondo.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 02:25 PM

Rust is beautiful!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I'm all for electric cars. IMHO a great development in personal transportation.

Here's a new electric truck.

"Tesla's latest competitor is this badass all-electric truck"

http://mashable.com/2017/07/28/bollinger-b1-electic-truck/#Y...

And as pointed out, the original post using $1.16 per kilowatt hour is off by a factor of 10. The average cost in the US is 12 cents per kilowatt-hour.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/10/27/141766341/the-p...

Good catch Goat. It blows the original post cost argument out of the water.

City of Redding, CA------a co-op elec. utility owned by the city and supposed to be the cheapest electricity in N. CA. We pay 0.195 per kilowatt hour. (19.5 cents per Kilowatt hour).

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 05:20 PM

Bollinger motors electric truck

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.