Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dupuytren's contracture, Dupuytren's disease
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 05:03 PM
Dupuytren's contracture, Dupuytren's disease

My mom is visiting and her tendons on her hands are beginning to shrink. Not painful but becoming debilitating.

Has anyone here dealt with this disease? What did you do?

She heard that operations don't really work. I saw shots that are $3300 each for a series of 8 to fix the tendon. Doesn't always work and multiply that by 2 (both hands) for mom!??

Right.............like most of us can afford that.

Any experience with this would be helpful. Gracias de antemano - thanks in advance.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2017 at 06:29 PM

perhaps scholar.google.com can be some help

https://scholar.google.com.mx/scholar?q=Dupuytren%27s+contra...
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 06:31 AM

I would search out a chiropractor or physical therapist versed in the Graston Technique
http://www.grastontechnique.com/home

Many will often use laser or other adjunctive healing modalities to accelerate the process

Also have her consider taking Ligaplex II from Standard Process (allow no substitutes) at 3 tabs / 2x day for a few months)

This does the trick for most people. If not greatly improved in 60 days U2U me for other possibilities

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 08:08 AM

This is a idiopathic disease of the palmar fascia.
Collegen injections have been used with some success, but surgery is ofter the real cure. Essentially, you open the skin and peel away the diseased tissue.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 08:25 AM

Bless you all for your invaluable input! Gonna share with mom and try one or more options, for sure!

How I love this site. Thanks again.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 10:04 AM

Baja Nomad at its finest.

If only other threads could stay on topic and not feel compelled to interject certain personal proclivities for trolling one's own political perspective upon others.

It is a new day. Yea, I believe in pipe dreams too. Thanks to all here.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2017 at 03:11 PM

okie dokie,,,, have had the injections done twice in different spot of right hand... once in 2012 and just last month for a finger that would not straighten... cost is what you say... medicare will take care of a significant portion... most other insurance will not pick up the balance.
the Manufacturer has grants available to pickup some of the cost depending on your insurance status,, also the Healthwell Foundation will do a grant depending on income etc...
the drug is Xiaflex there is some pain involved and recoup time but the injection seemed a better alternative than surgery....
I am told dupuytrens is hereditary somewhat...
I was 68 at first procedure now 73 with this one.... also have a good Dr. with much experience in Colorado doing it...
I was told that surgery you will have open incisions for 30 days or so.
I am pretty satisfied with the whole thing... beats the fingers curling up or the big painful bumps in your palms...
be glad to give you any info you need....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 06:46 AM

Blanca, I have this and so does my father. Injections are super expensive. He had surgery twice and it helped both times! Mine is in the early stages.

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 10:43 AM

The Xiaflex injection dissolves the collagen.. The drug has to be mixed and has a short time to be administered after mixed in the Doc's office.
I don't know why there would be 8 injections. Mine were in rather large area 3 or 4 pokes to get the whole thing... only one cost....
Injections seem to me to be less invasive, less healing time, less chance of infection etc that comes with open surgery..
I had no aftereffects... back to use of hand in a few days....
lucky enough to get the grant help for the cost....
Pretty sure the procedure will have to be done in the U.S. OF A.
I am a big proponent of no cutting if possible...... If you would like to talk to us would be glad to send you a phone number u2u...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 04:13 PM

thanks mtnpop

Mom is checking with her doc in Brazil as to what procedure and where. Your info is very helpful, especially the fact that one injection did the trick.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 06:41 AM

Just to update everyone....it turns out one of my sisters has the disease as well, but her hand is not closing.

Mom is in Brazil where her health insurance covers almost everything, so she decided to operate at 84 years young.

Her recuperation is taking a long time and she says it has been quite painful. We shall see how this pans out - I also have some signs of it in my hand, but nothing compared to how her hand was.

Come visit La Bocana

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 07:43 AM

Wow Blanka,

Now I know exactly what I have. The pinky on my left hand is closing in on a 90 * angle.
I was a wondering "what the heck caused that "?

Was thinking it was from a lifetime of turning wrenches , holding sewer cables or playin' with myself TOO much but now I know it just happens !
So far just a small inconvenience ....

I'm hoping and prying for a good recovery for your Beautiful Mom...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 08:49 AM

Thanks Paco, she really needs a speedier recovery, she ain't a happy camper right now.

Come visit La Bocana

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 06:29 PM

I am sure that the previous posters have looked into all avenues, but I have seen improved results through acupuncture...
not saying its a cure all by any means.

https://www.e-jar.org/journal/view.php?number=2307

https://www.theacupunctureclinic.co.nz/acupuncture-for-dupuy...

http://www.kimgatenby.com/diagnosed-with-dupuytrens-contract...

there's other stuff online.

Not the same affliction but I had a friend who was one step away from full carpal tunnel surgery and he gave acupuncture a try and it alleviated the symptoms and has not needed surgery..

Alan
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 08:24 AM

Also there's a Laser Acupuncture Pen,,,, I have seen great reviews

www.inspireuplift.com/laserpen

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 08:40 AM

Heck, I would OK with just chopping the little sucker off ... It's only the little finger that you don't really need.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Heck, I would OK with just chopping the little sucker off ... It's only the little finger that you don't really need.

a neighbor in gonzaga opted for that route, he's happy with the result.:yes:
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 10:01 AM

Willardguy,

Good to know , and one thing is for sure, the procedure will definitely result in no more bent finger.. 100%

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 03:45 PM

It would be a more accurate amputation with some good laupers like the plant trimming kind. Maybe not quite a satisfying as the solid thunk sound. Great acupuncturist here in Cantu. Trained in NYC.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 04:08 PM

I had the same problem several years ago. My primary physician referred me to a local Dr. who did hand surgery and plastic surgery. He told me that he had a procedure that he could do in the small surgical facility he had in his office. It was quick and simple. A local anesthetic, then a very small incision on each side of the tendon. Then a tiny scissors was used to simply snip the tendon. Both ends of the tendon are still there but the tension was eliminated. There is a tiny bump where it was snipped but almost invisible and has never been a problem. This was 15 minute band aid surgery. My regular Dr. said he had never heard of this procedure and in doing an internet search I found no reference to it. The Dr. who did this was located here in Arroyo Grande, Ca. He was in his 80's then and the office no longer exists.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.