Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Off the plane and into a 4x4
Arthur
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 2-17-2005 at 04:42 PM
Off the plane and into a 4x4

We're going to fly into San Diego and rent a 4x4 Isuzu Trooper so we can get back into those canyons on the east side of San Pedro de Martir that David K has written about. (My Prerunner's probably not up to it, and I've decided not to buy a 4x4 at this point)

Anyway, one of the questions that this brings up is about gas cans. We should have at least one 5-gal, seems to me. Since you can't take them on the plane, I don't see any way of dealing with this than to buy a can or two and see if someone will bring them back up sometime. Or donate them to someone down there. Any ideas? My daughter has a friend at SD State, so maybe I can work something there.

Similar problem with water containers -- I guess I'll take down a couple in our luggage and fill them down there. Where should I go to fill them up, other than a gas station? Any ideas would be welcome. I lived in Ocean Beach for many years, but that was awhile ago.

We still haven't figured out about hauling everything we need onto the plane in duffel bags, but that can be dealt with. Any other ideas from someone who's had to step off a plane into a 4x4 would be welcome.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2005 at 10:46 PM

Seems to me if you think you will be needing 5 gal of gas, just buy a container for $15 and then leave it with your newest amigo. Water?? Never touch the stuff, but just hit a 7/11 in San Diego, and buy as much as you need along with all other liquid refreshments you think you need. Good luck with your trip-- sounds like you might be getting out to some beautiful country!!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2005 at 11:40 PM
$15 gas can?

Are you shopping at Camping World? I bought one at Wal-Mart (5gal.) and I think I paid about $5. (no reason you can't fly with them as long as they are empty.) They also sell water jugs that squsish to about nothing for a couple of dollars each....although, I don't think I would bother with that on your trip, I would just buy bottled water in route.

I have stepped off planes, trains and automobiles on trips to Baja and carried 2 bags (duffles work best) one carries my camping gear.....the other clothes (you are allowed 2 on your flight per person)

The thing you have to remember is that anything imported is expencive, so think in those terms and go from there......(things to bring from the States, batteries, film, anything electronic, spices...hard, or impossible to find your favorites......

Do a search here, awhile back there was a thread on things to pack.....good reference to make your list from there.

Good luck, and have fun!

One important thing I forgot to mention, don' t forget a really good cooler!

[Edited on 2-18-2005 by Debra]
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 06:16 AM
california

Debra---Here in california only special gas cans are allowed to be sold. They have spouts on them that are susposed to restrict the fumes from escaping into the air. Last year when I needed 10 new cans I had to drive to arizona to west marine and buy them there to avoid the rediculous spouts on the california cans. fishin rich
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 08:25 AM

If it was me, I'd wait 'til I got to San Diego, go to the nearest Home Depot (or similar), buy the gas can and then go to a grocery store and buy the 2.5 gal bottled water jugs. I know it costs a bit more to buy bottled water, but you can smash down the container when you're done and recycle it when you get back. And like BornFisher said, give the gas can away to a rancher or needy driver on the way back.
Just my .02 worth.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 08:36 AM

If you get a gas can in the US, remember that customs might have you empty it if you try to bring it into Mexico filled. Just find a Pemex after crossing to fill it.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 08:41 AM

you can leave them with me .especially if they are full.:lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:10 AM

I was wondering where people were seeing these cheap gas cans, until fishinrich pointed out that they weren't from California. I just priced a 5-gal can, and it was $50. But maybe I should buy one in Mexico. Hey!

And I don't know about solving my agua problems by buying a jillion of those 2.5-gal jugs. I love 'em, but our style up to now has been to have a few of those eah for drinking water and a couple of big 4-gal heavy Canadian plastic ones for washing up and emergencies. I think you're supposed to plan on using a gallon a person a day.

I guess if I could stop thinking about how it's drinking water in those disposable thngs, that would probably be the best way to go . . . if it's San Diego water, it'll barely be drinkable anyway. Maybe I'll get a couple of those collapsable jugs, or buy containers at a water store in Rosarito Beach or somewhere. According to the Moon Baja guide, there's a drinkable spring on the east side of the road on Mex hwy 3 near the 73K mark (heading toward San Felipe). And I have a purifier.

Thanks for letting me think out loud about this, Nomads, and for all the thoughts. And if anyone's going to be up in those canyons around Agua Caliente west of San Felipe in late March/early April, let me know.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:30 AM
Wow Rich,

I had no idea about Ca. gas cans, the one I have does have the funnel thingy.....not the same as in Ca.?

Maybe I could make some Baja Bucks selling gas cans to the less fortunate down there? Just kidding....:D
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:58 AM

Forget the gallon a day stuff...it's winter and you will use a lot less...just get a case of bottled water...about $10 and go...gas?....if you are just going into those canyons you will not need it...the mileage isn't that much...relax and enjoy trip...
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:58 AM

Re water: buy 2-3 collapsible 3-gal. containers (at Target, Big 5 or Sports Chalet in the Midway/Rosecrans area), and fill them up at those filtered water machines - $.15-.25 cents a gallon. They're outside many grocery stores. (If you know SD, then outside the Henry's, Big Lots and Ralph's in the Midway/ Rosecrans area.) I think you could scale down use expectations too - it won't be that hot. I always take a backpacking water filter for emergencies. If you see a small stream or tenaja, you can top off your containers pumping filtered water.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:09 AM

Arthur: You can get close to most places in 2WD, and just hike the difference... So, before you go through too much hassle, consider taking your 2WD truck. In sand, just let the air out to 10 PSI to get unstuck or float over the stuff. Since I feel a bit responsible for all you're going through, I just want it to be fun and exciting... not a big hassle or expense.
Just buy a flat of water bottles at Costco or a grocery store... We don't drink tap water in San Diego. Anyway, with sodas, beer, and juices, you don't need that much water in Mexico. I have a square 5 gal. blue water bottle filled with tap water here in Oceanside I take and I never have used it all, seldom even half of it... that is used for cleaning and cooking.

Debra: California, the land of fruits, nuts, and government stupidity has banned gas cans that work in favor of ventless, springloaded spouted cans that only are to fill lawn mowers and don't work on cars (they cost about $15). I have one normal can and two stupid cans. If you seen me at Gecko, you will recall I have one person hold a funnel while I pour gas out of the stupid can... as the spouts that come with them do not work on cars... Plus, without a vent, they don't drain. You can still find some quick fill cans at motorcycle shops (not made for gas, ha ha) here in Calif.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 11:31 AM

Hey, David -- don't feel responsible. All you did was point us in what sounds like a good direction, and we'll take it from there. Being that we like to do a lot of exploring, I think the 4wd just may be the way to go, though. We have had to turn back from some fine places where "just walking in" isn't a real option, especially if you want to stay a few days.

And thanks, wilderone -- we'll head down to the Midway/Rosecrans area for those containers. Sure is built up from when we were cruising Oscar's and scarfing up their fine burgers, though.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 11:53 AM

Ha!! Yes - Oscars. I had my senior prom dinner there because my date was late and we missed our reservations. There's a Rubios now in it's place (among other stores in the mini-mall).
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 11:54 AM

Don't forget about a patch kit and spare tire for the flats if any.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 12:08 PM

Arthur
You can buy both gas and water cans here in San Felipe. A five gallon water jug is going to cost arouynd $5US and another 7 or 8 pesos to fill it with reverse osmosis purified water . All the canyons in the Eastern escarpment of the Sierra San Pedro Martir have water. Right now with all the rain there is a lot of water. You really only need a good filter.
I will echo David's coments about needing 4wd. Only a few canyons have any kind of road that goes up canyon. Canyon Cajon now has a road that goes about a mile up it and it is 4wd, but only for the last mile. 2wd will get you to the mouths of most of the canyons. Once you see them you will realize that the only way to explore them is on foot.
It is only 31 miles from the highway to the mouth of Canyon Cajon via Saltito road and Morelia road. You really won't need to carry extra gas except for an emergency can.
burro bob
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 01:11 PM

Hey, thanks for the details. What about Highway 3, before we'd turn south along the dry lake? Sounds like that's steep and sandy.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 01:37 PM

Hwy. 3 is paved and there are no hills on the way to the canyons. If you are going soon, the sand will be wet and hard. On the other hand, if you go right now, you might find some mud on the "dry" lakes. :lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 02:12 PM

Arthur
Sorry I wasn't very specific about which highway. I am talking about highway 5 to San Felipe. The quickest route into valle chico is via Saltito road. This is the main road into the El Dorado developments. In another thread Lou tells that the new road is ready just to south of Saltito but they both end up in the same place. Eventually you go past Sierra Highlands a camping only El Dorado development. A frew miles further west you come to a junction, most people call that Morelia junction. If you go to the right you end up by the dry lake and it is the way to go to get to Canyons Diablito and Diablo and canyons further north. It is also possible to head south before you get to the dry lake. If you go left at the junction you turn to the south. This is the way to get to canyon Cajon and canyons further south. When you go past the little white kilometer post at k 31 start looking for another road heading west into the mountains. You will drive past a ranch on the west side of the valley and continuing on for a few more miles, keep heading south, you get to Cajon.
You can also stay on Morelia road and it turns and heads west towards the mountains after 5 or 6 more miles. If you are going to Agua Caliente and canyons south you want to stay on this main road. There is a road along the base of the mountains on the west side of the valley that you can use to get to other canyons without having to go back across the valley. David has this area well maped on his web page.
Attached is a photo of "Rio Cajon" about a quarter mile past the canyon mouth from last weekend.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 02:24 PM

Another thing to mention about gas cans in California... is to purchase a "utility jug" made of polyethylene from some place like a motorcycle shop. They run anywhere from $15-30. Although they are made to handle gasoline (or solvents) quite well, they aren't sold as such, especially since they aren't red, and aren't CARB compliant.

I've got a couple of 5gal Scribner jugs that I've been using for years.

And I concur on the water... either fill up outside a grocery store (more like $.25-35 in my neck of the woods), or get a case - or more - of liter bottles at costco (house brand is "kirkland signature").

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.